• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello Pin Folks,

I'm debugging a sound issue with my BK table. It's a brand new aftermarket sound card so I tend to think it's not that. My buddy said to check the ohm ratings on the speaker because if the measurement is too low it can create strange sound problems. I just checked the schematic for Black Knight and it shows an 8ohm speaker but when I checked the one in my cab it's stamped as (and measures as) 4ohm.

Is it possible that this could be creating issues and can other Black Knight owners weigh in on what the ohm rating is on the speaker in their machine?

Much Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Yes, the OEM Black Knight speaker is rated at 8 ohms impedance, but the OEM game amp is based on a TDA2002 - which wouldn't have a problem running a 4 ohm impedance speaker. Check with the manufacturer of your aftermarket sound board for exact specifications, as it could be different.

IMO, You probably don't have a sound problem simply because of the impedance of the speaker alone....but try testing with an 8 ohm speaker. If you don't have one, surely you must know someone with a stereo system you could borrow one from.

#3 5 years ago

You’re DMM won’t measure the impedance of a speaker. You’re measuring the DC resistance. All your meter will tell you is if a voice coil is shorted or blown open.

What’s the issue you’re having? If it sounds like poopy, you could have a speaker with rotted surround foam or a hole in the cone. I’ve seen speakers in pin cabs that are loose and really sound bad too.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

You’re DMM won’t measure the impedance of a speaker. You’re measuring the DC resistance. All your meter will tell you is if a voice coil is shorted or blown open.
What’s the issue you’re having? If it sounds like poopy, you could have a speaker with rotted surround foam or a hole in the cone. I’ve seen speakers in pin cabs that are loose and really sound bad too.

Issue is that after an hour or so of play the sounds cuts out entirely. Wiggling the power harness into the sound board does nothing but oddly enough unplugging/replugging the harness seems to re-enable the sound.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

Issue is that after an hour or so of play the sounds cuts out entirely. Wiggling the power harness into the sound board does nothing but oddly enough unplugging/replugging the harness seems to re-enable the sound.

Did it do this with the original sound board, or is this a new problem that cropped up with the aftermarket sound board?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Did it do this with the original sound board, or is this a new problem that cropped up with the aftermarket sound board?

The old soundboard didn't work at all (or at least it was out of the realm of my ability to get it working). So I simply sold the old one on eBay and bought the new Kohut board. Works great except for this sound cutting out issue.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

The old soundboard didn't work at all (or at least it was out of the realm of my ability to get it working). So I simply sold the old one on eBay and bought the new Kohut board. Works great except for this sound cutting out issue.

I think your best bet is to exchange the Kohut if warrantied. At least that would rule it out if its the problem. Sounds like the temporary disconnection and reconnection is restarting its communication, for some reason it stops reading data sent to it. Just my guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-speaker-ohms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.