• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190813_235224136 (resized).jpg
williams-pinball-system-7-cpu-mpu-board-5764_1_e92695123b53b781c00fbdc4e5f996b0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

Some of the sounds in williams games are cyclic. That is, the sound card is told once to play a sound and then the sound card plays it over and over until its told not to. When the sound increases in speed/intensity like that its because the the sound card has been told once again to play the same sound.

What im saying here is that there is a communication problem between the MPU board and the sound card.

It could also be a problem entirely on the sound card. Disconnect 10J3 on the sound card or 1J8 on the MPU board and turn on the game. if the sound problem goes away the problem is NOT on the sound card.

You can also try these test ROMs: http://pincoder.ca They will help you track down problems with your entire machine. The sound test ROM will be the most use to you.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from ChicagoPinReplay:

Just quickly wanted to conduct your test of unplugging 10J3. Unplugged and turned the game on. No sounds or speech at all now. So what you are suggesting based on this is that the issue is not with the sound card? Like I said I have speech and other in game sounds. Just no background sound in play and then there is that repeating tone in attract mode.

OK good.. the wires on 10J3 are used to instruct the sound card to play a sound. With no signals getting to the card it does like it should and not play ANY sounds. The fact that when connected you have sound playing, albeit the WRONG sounds at the wrong time means the signals to the card are jumbled.

Each of those wires represent a binary digit (ground or no ground). To get the sound card to play a sound, the MPU board grounds a specific combination of those wires momentarily and then un-grounds them.

If you download the pincoder ROMS and look at the instructions for the sound test you'll have a better picture of how it works. Basically, I think one or more of those wires to the sound card are either stuck on ground, or are not grounding at all. This is what produces the incorrect sounds.

So, you just need to test each of those wires to see if they operate correctly. The pincoder sound ROM will help you troubleshoot that.

If you dont have a chip and programmer, you can start by testing each of those wires to see if they're stuck on ground. Turn the game on and go into audit mode (so you know that no sounds are supposed to be playing) and then check for ground on each of the wires. None of them should be grounded. That will at least give you half of the picture.

To reliably test the other half (whether they go to ground when they're supposed to) you will need to run the pincoder sound ROM. It is possible that you could also do this running the built-in solenoid diagnostic (you can on system 3-6a). I'm just not sure the solenoid test on a system 7 can activate sounds or not.. (I no longer have my black knight).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-sound-question?tu=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.