(Topic ID: 238742)

Black Knight - Sound Board Input Voltages?

By malkneil

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

Hello Pin Folks,
I'm debugging some sound weirdness on a BK I'm restoring. The symptoms seem to be that after playing the game actively for a good while the sound just cuts out entirely. If I power off the machine for say 10 seconds and power on again -- the sound returns, but only for a short time. For a lay person that seems to indicate it's a function of time and maybe has to do with heat?
So I'm starting by checking the input voltages when I first fire up the game. They seem slightly high as compared to the diagram -- around 22 VAC across the two outside wires (versus the 18.7 in the diagram) and half that between the middle and either of the outside wires. Is this normal/acceptable? I figured if those voltages were too high to begin with the sound would have issues from the onset.
My next step is to get the sound to fail again and test the voltages to see if they've changed at all. Any ideas or pointers are much appreciated!
P.S. -- I have a brand new after-market sound board so I don't suspect anything with the sound board itself.

That AC voltage sounds fine to me.

I would look at the ROM and then CPU socket on the sound board. You are spot on with the heat causing your issue. My bet is the connection from the ROM to the socket gets flaky as the ROM chip warms up. You can start by carefully cleaning the pins on the ROM and reinserting it in the socket. If you are able, I would just replace the ROM socket. If that does not solve it, move on to the CPU pins and socket.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from malkneil:

Did I mention it's a brand new sound/speech board? I'd be really surprised if it's an issue with that brand new hardware.

Which one? Can you provide a link?

Since it is brand new, have you contacted the manufacturer for their suggestions?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-sound-board-input-voltages?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.