New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 217279)

Black Knight Solenoid Problem

By troxel

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by troxel
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Got this game in an unknown shape. It was pretty rough shape started with the boards. Solenoids worked fine on the bench, which makes me believe it's not a board problem.

When I plugged the boards into the game initially the added fuse to the BR blew. Added a circuit breaker to it, and now F2 blows on power up. I narrowed the problem down to 2J11. All coils move freely and none were burnt up and frozen.

What's the best way to find the short? Do you start by testing and replacing all diodes the coils, or start with something else?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

The game shouldn't be energizing any of those solenoids at power-on. The diode, even if bad/misconnected, shouldn't do anything until the transistor turns on.

How did you test the solenoids on the bench? With the game off and on (with 2J11 removed), do a continuity test from the header pins to ground, make sure none have continuity.

Quoted from troxel:

Added a circuit breaker to it, and now F2 blows on power up.

Was the circuit breaker rated the same? I'd think if you replaced a fuse with the breaker, the breaker should start blowing, not something else...

#3 2 years ago

I have Siegecraft testers for the solenoids. All were cycling fine when on the bench.

With 2J11 removed there was no continuity to ground with or with the game off.

The circuit breaker was the same rating as the fuse.

#4 2 years ago

I think I narrowed it down to the PIA. Played a couple "games" and all seemed fine.

A little bit more detail on my blog if anyone wants to read about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside