(Topic ID: 143825)

Black Knight - Score Locations (Informational)

By Pepse25

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK_Points_Locations.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Attached an image of all the points locations found so far in the rom, in case anyone was ever interested in changing them.

Checksum will need to be updated in order for it to pass the diagnostic test, otherwise boots up fine since System 7 doesn't validate the rom at startup.

there probably is a better location for this topic, I just liked it here more for some reason.

BK_Points_Locations.jpgBK_Points_Locations.jpg

1 week later
#2 8 years ago

Cool, please post any more details you find from your ROM investigations. Are you up to anything else? Or just the points? Which chip are these on? Does anyone make a single EPROM replacement board to plug into the CPU slot?

#3 8 years ago

Points seem like the easiest to change so far without rewriting sections of the Williams custom based language script of assembly game logic.

Chip locations:
>IC14 : Game Rom 1 : E000 - E7FF
>IC26 : Game Rom 2 : D800 - DFFF

Main goal was to make a tournament ready version with fixed mystery score (completed) and to eject the locked balls at the end of each player. Also wouldn't mind trying to fix a few bugs I've seen so far (L-4).
1. after all of the upper playfields left bank of drop down targets have been hit, during the second or two before it resets, if a ball goes down the left inside lane, you will receive 10,000 points.
2. after all of the lower playfields left bank of drop down targets have been hit, the ball could end up staying in the lower playfield multi-pall eject hole a few seconds longer than normal.

Believe I saw an all-in-one device that was to merge all of these together, don't know about the current status, last I checked, believe they were trying to get licensing rights from PPS for the software. I'm dabbling on my own, less intuitive design that uses the unused 40pin expansion port on the CPU board, and remade the magna-save relay boards, and a very low to-do on maybe home make a new transformer for it.

That's about it for now, it's a slow process since it's all done in spare time.

#4 8 years ago

Nice work. I have also been gathering some information to try some changes to my FirePower's code. It looks like there was quite a bit of activity in this area a few years ago, even custom assembler macros for Williams VM instructions. Don't have my notes handy, think it was TASM? But I couldn't find it currently. What are you using? Does anyone know where to get a cross-compiler to run on Windows?

I have not heard about using the 40-pin expansion. I would be curious to hear more about that. I found a single EPROM board for the CPU socket for my FirePower. I'm not sure if this might work on Black Knight too. I believe it has more code than FirePower, and maybe uses more address lines? Are you replacing the whole memory map on the expansion?

I also own a Black Knight, so could change focus to that if you'd like some help. I used to write 6502 assembly on the Apple II and later 68000 assembly.

Glad to hear about some activity going on in this area, as it seemed to have died down, and related tools seem to have gone missing. I've only recently got more interested in pinball and some hacking, so am hoping to find some of the tools and techniques to get started.

#5 8 years ago

I believe it was, all I've been using is excel and an 6800 assembler I managed to find.
one could replace the entire memory map at the expense of losing write lock on the nvram of the game settings when the door is shut. still a small idea project.

If anyone wants to see what I've found so far, this link should work.
http://pinball.rpgcor.com/

#6 8 years ago

Jess Askey did a lot of decompile work as well. They flip flop between 6800 assembly language and a WMS designed language, all through the code. I had decompiled a lot of the BK code a while back. Crazy how they used every single available byte in that game.

#7 8 years ago

Yes, that's right, that's where I came across TASM. Last I looked, I thought some parts of or related parts to the TASMx work were no longer available, but I'm going to try setting it up and see if I can explore the Fire Power code for starters.

#8 8 years ago

I'd go with an earlier game, to be honest, if you're first diving in. Anything with multiball is going to have a much more complex set of rules. Can be a bit daunting on first dive. Gorgar, for instance, probably has 20% of the code of Firepower.

-Hans

#9 8 years ago

Yeah, that might be true. Fire Power is just the earliest one I own, but I can just grab some other ROMs online I suppose. I have to revisit the Askey site and read through it, but if you have any tips on decompile/disassembly let me know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vista, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
3,011 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lee's Summit, MO
Machine - For Sale
Jupiter, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-score-locations-informational and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.