Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by QuickDraw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey everyone. A little over a year ago we purchased our second pin, black night. It was a little rough, we were told it was sitting in a barn for a while, but it had been gone through by a professional and we were good to go, and we were for a couple of months. then when we were playing it one day, it started smoking a bit and basically stopped working. it was popping fuses every time i powered it up so we decided to have the mpu and driver boards gone through by a professional(the sound board had been replaced prior to us owing the machine with a rottendog board) and sent them in, and all of the usual suspects were fixed and the boards thoroughly tested and cleared.

when the boards came back i installed them in my machine we noticed another problem. while playing the pin seemingly at random events in the game the ball would hit a switch or i would hit a switch(magna-save) and the controls would lock up and while the lights kept flashing the game went dead and none of the controls will work until you reboot the pin. its intermittent and happens on different switches, sometimes you can get a few games in before it happens. i ran the switch and solenoid tests and everything seemed to check out. any thoughts of things i can look at? Thx in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Power supply, wire Connectors.

#3 3 years ago

Bad coil diodes especially on the flippers can cause the MPU to go off the rails like that. But whatever it is, if the game does not do this when you start a game and just let the machine sit there for quite a while, I'd try manually activating switches one by one as well as the flippers and other coils by triggering the drop targets and lock holes etc. and see if you can get it to consistently do it. My BK starting doing this exact same random derail thing, turned out to be a bad flipper diode.

#4 3 years ago

I also think it is likely a diode on a coil. Either reversed or bad. It would take some time but you could cut/desolder one at a time to see if it solves the problem.
Also the board could still have a problem. If the connectors that connect the mpu/driver haven’t been replaced it could cause intermittent problems. These kind of problems are frustrating. You have to be able to rule out one thing at a time. I would make 100% sure you have a fully working mpu/driver board set. I would put it in test mode and apply pressure on the board to see if connectors or chips are loose.

3 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

Ok, first off thanks for all of the advice. Me and my daughter have been troubleshooting using your suggestions. We believe we’ve narrowed it down to a flipper diode as you suggested. We’ve ordered some 1n4007 diodes to replace the 4 flipper diodes. I’ll update after the install/testing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-problems-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.