Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fullscreen capture 2172017 63950 PM (resized).jpg
IMG_0827 (resized).JPG
IMG_0853 (resized).JPG
IMG_0852 (resized).JPG
IMG_0859 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Underspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 7 years ago

Debaser and I worked on a Black Knight project together. By worked together I mean he did 98% of the work

The backglass was toast, however so I set out to have one printed locally. This is by no means a collector quality machine so there was no way we were going to spend $350-400 on a new glass.

I found some artwork online, manipulated it in Illustrator, scraped the old art off the original glass and had them print directly to it. The results are below. I'm posting this because I'm so impressed with print quality nowadays. It's direct to glass and is three layers, art+white+art. The real treat is the price of $60 all in. You'll notice no masking layer though. That can be done but would add another $30 or so. But what the hell, it looks pretty damn good in the machine!!

IMG_0827 (resized).JPGIMG_0827 (resized).JPG
IMG_0852 (resized).JPGIMG_0852 (resized).JPG
IMG_0853 (resized).JPGIMG_0853 (resized).JPG
IMG_0859 (resized).JPGIMG_0859 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Are those spots LEDs or are regular incandescents still shining through that much?

Thanks for the question. Those are frosted LED but I should clarify that the light showing through is much softer and more diffuse in person. The camera for some reason makes it look the way you're seeing it.

Yes a masking layer would take care of a lot of that anyway but this was an experiment. Even the print shop wasn't sure how the ink would adhere when piling six layers on so I opted to print just the art to see how it would turn out.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What did you do about the mirroring?

There's no mirroring but the art looks "silversish" for lack of a better term.

If you're asking what I did with the mirroring on the original artwork I got it off there. I didn't want to risk the ink adhering to the glass but not the old mirroring.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Can you supply more details and pics? What company is able to print white? Did you scrap off just the flaking image or the whole thing before printing? Can you post a pic of the backside of the glass post-printing?
Mike V

1. More details? Can you be more specific in what you're asking for?
2. The sign company I used prints a white layer in between two colored layers to give the image some depth
3. I scraped everything off the glass and removed the mirroring as well
4. A pic of the backside of the glass post printing was included in the OP.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Thanks for replying. What is the name of the sign company you used (I'm having trouble finding a sign company down here that will print white let alone on glass). I see you posted a picture of the flaking glass reverse side .. do you have a pic of the reverse side of the glass after the sign company printed it?

The pictures at the top of the page, the one numbered 0853 is the backside of the glass post printing.

The name of the company is Fast Signs. You have one in Marietta

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Ok. Now I understand. I thought that was transposed front shoot. Thanks for clearing that up. Ill check out Fast Signs. Also thanks for your patience with all my questions!
Mike V

No prob. If you use them be sure to drop in and show us the final product. The next glass I do will be the full experiment of art and masking layer. I don't see how it wouldn't work...

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Awesome job! I went in to have Fast Signs print a Banzai Run ramp sticker I did in Illustrator and they wanted $50 bucks. Of course that was their minimum set up. $60 bucks for that back glass seems to be a smoking deal.
How long did it take you to do the artwork?
Again, great job.
Keith

The artwork was nothing more than a photo I found online so the resolution is good but not great. A nice 300dpi illustrated piece would look amazing should I ever find time to recreate all that art. The most difficult part was measuring and sizing the placement of the windows. Thankfully I had the glass in front of me as a guide. If the print is a cm off on any of those windows you can imagine that the final product would look like amateur hour

Thanks for the compliment. This was an exercise in "What's the best I can get for under $75?" Mission accomplished!

#19 7 years ago

PS: Here is what I gave the printer. Pretty simple stuff

Fullscreen capture 2172017 63950 PM (resized).jpgFullscreen capture 2172017 63950 PM (resized).jpg

1 week later
#21 7 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Awesome job! I went in to have Fast Signs print a Banzai Run ramp sticker I did in Illustrator and they wanted $50 bucks. Of course that was their minimum set up. $60 bucks for that back glass seems to be a smoking deal.
How long did it take you to do the artwork?
Again, great job.
Keith

$60 to set up? Did they give you an explanation?

I'm going to do a Firepower next. Will experiment with a masking layer. I'm thinking art+white+masking layer. The mirroring is hard to give up but for players condition machines something has to give...

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

When you scraped off all the artwork all that was left was a clean sheet of glass? If so, I am curious why not just use a new sheet of glass to print on? Any advantages to using the original glass?

Yes I scraped off the original artwork as it was garbage. The medium however (the glass) was in VGC when cleared so why not reuse it? New glass would work, so would plexi. They had acetate sheets to create a translite as well but since I had the glass why not recycle?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

This is amazing! Who did the printing for you?
I'm seriously wondering how well this would work for a nice translite scan printed onto a glass? I'm thinking you could go to a glass cutter and get a nice piece of glass cut (not sure what type) and then take it to get printed.....

True that. The possibilities are endless but you'll surely go over the $60 threshold

Keep in mind that this was only a 6mb file. I would call it medium resolution. It looks good but not great.

Finally, what I did was a restoration of original artwork which is why the sign company was able to print what is otherwise copyrighted material. They might turn away the idea of printing to a new medium.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Underspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-printed-backglass-project-results?tu=Underspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.