IMG_5487 (resized).JPG
IMG_5485 (resized).JPG
IMG_5483 (resized).JPG
IMG_5482 (resized).JPG
IMG_5481 (resized).JPG
IMG_0659 (resized).JPG
IMG_5478 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hey all. I just unloaded literally the most messed up and dirtiest 1980 Black Knight I've ever seen into my garage (wife is very wtf about this).

Anyway, I intend to very slowly and amateurly start this process. I think it will actually clean up ok but of course there are surely problems with the electronics. Definitely battery corrosion as the batteries said they expired in 1997 when I took them out.

Anyway, wish me luck! If anyone has any tips as to what to check first, I could use the advice! I haven't had the heart to plug it in yet.

IMG_5478 (resized).JPGIMG_5478 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

These kind of machines are my favorite kind. Good luck on the restoration. After cleaning corrosion I would change the 40 pin interconnect between the two boards.

#3 7 years ago

Just go slow, gentle, and careful with that cleaning on the playfield. Looks really dirty but all the major wear spots also look to be really good from the photo. May have a real diamond in the rough there.

-Hans

#4 7 years ago

Wow, pretty filthy! Should clean up nice though.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

This board should help protect your MPU in case any coils lock on:
http://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

This is a great idea for all machines. Can you buy one for system 11s or WPC ?

#7 7 years ago

The very first thing I do is turn the bottom cabinet upside down and glue all the split/loose plys of wood. Also glue any particle board that's crumbling. At least get the cabinet to a point it can be moved without shedding parts of itself on the trip.

Then scrub the cabinet around where the legs mount (unless it's a cabinet repaint, I'd do that next).

Then wire brush/sand/paint silver or replace the leg levelers. Whatever level of reconditioning you're shooting for.

Then the legs. Same as above, depending on what level you're after. When the leg's inside is really badly rusted I sand them down smooth and spray them black. The outer surfaced is either polished/painted/whatever provides a cosmetically attractive surface.

THEN install the legs on the cabinet and actually start vacuuming with a stiff paint brush.

You're still WEEKS away from plugging in the power cord that you replaced with an extension cord or at least replaced the plug with the broken off ground prong.

I'm on the lower end of "hobby level" Rattle-Can Rejuvenations(TM):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-long-road-to-the-world-cup-or-how-i-ruined-another-one
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/started-on-the-next-reconditioninga-gottlieb-baseball-from-1970
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/8-ball-deluxe-playfield-reconditioning

#8 7 years ago

That's pretty messed up right there but.... mine was almost like that and it's AWESOME now. Take your time and let your wife know it's a great machine. AND it was probably cheap, even better.

IMG_0659 (resized).JPGIMG_0659 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

Thanks everybody. First order of business, I just have to take a layer of dirt off of everything. I took the old AA batteries out and it looks like they have caused some problems. Not sure to what extent yet. I bought this with no glass top so that's why there is just thick filth on everything. Below is before/after of just the plastics.

Fortunately, the only issue with the Playfield plastics is the pop bumper cap is faded and chipped. Pretty happy about that. I'm going to attempt to clean the playfield tomorrow to see what sort of issues lie beneath. I actually think it may not be too bad.

Thanks for the info. I will buy some vinegar and alcohol tomorrow as well.

IMG_5481 (resized).JPGIMG_5481 (resized).JPG

IMG_5482 (resized).JPGIMG_5482 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

Much to my surprise, all of the lamps are working once I replaced all of them. I'm doing all of the easy stuff first.

MPU is giving error code: 1 which looks like a ROM problem. First time I plugged it in, the speakers were very loud and I smelled something hot. unplugged. Tried again and sound stopped so I'm guessing I did something bad to the sound board...

IMG_5483 (resized).JPGIMG_5483 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

Alright here are pics of the boards. The battery corrosion definitely got a few things below. Not even sure what those are called. Also another board has a lot of brown around it. Also unsure of these item names.

IMG_5485 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG

IMG_5487 (resized).JPGIMG_5487 (resized).JPG

IMG_5488 (resized).JPGIMG_5488 (resized).JPG

IMG_5489 (resized).JPGIMG_5489 (resized).JPG

IMG_5490 (resized).JPGIMG_5490 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

If you are talking about the last picture the overheated looking things are the strobe lamp resistors. They run hot. You can replace them with 5 watt resistors (Williams used 3 watt) and reduce the heat or you can replace the associated transistors with mosfets and use a 1/4 watt resistor and eliminate all the heat. The mosfets are probably like $4 each.

#13 7 years ago

Thanks Travish I assume you are talking about this area? Is this normal or indicative of a problem?

IMG_5490 (resized).JPGIMG_5490 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

Thanks travish I assume you are talking about this area? Is this normal or indicative of a problem?

Yes that's the area. They build a LOT of heat. If things are working they are ok but for the cost and the heat reduction you can change them over if you can solder pretty easy.

#15 7 years ago

The 40 pin connector looks original and that needs to be changed so you won't be chasing ghosts when things start locking up or going wonky.

#16 7 years ago

Ok thank you for the info.

#17 7 years ago

Pm me an address and I will stick one of these in an envelope for you. It goes under the top kickout plastic to keep the ball from hitting and breaking your plastic. As they get older they are more likely to break.

IMG_2374 (resized).JPGIMG_2374 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

Is this normal or indicative of a problem?

Make sure that you have zero ohm /jumps on
the switch matrix. That board is an older
board for the early/late 1970's games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-my-first-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.