(Topic ID: 251495)

Black Knight: PIA issues (was: MPU Lockup)

By kevinclark

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

test (resized).png
0FBBD37B-A2C8-4945-B7B6-7B9B2478A65E.jpeg
8344D897-0AFC-4A74-B6EE-972235C5ED56.jpeg
8C8AD6B1-1FFB-49B7-ABED-4989914AD417.jpeg
7D2256FC-750C-4476-8BC6-60088FDF4915.jpeg
IMG_6273 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 4 years ago

What inputs are you seeing on the 7447 (pins 1,2,6,7)

When you say "no outputs", you are reading neither high or low on the outputs?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

It's worth mentioning that upon normal power up, the LEDs do flash and the zero shows up on the LED segment display. This occurs before the CPU starts executing any instructions. The first bit of code in any ROM should be to initialize the PIAs and that's when you see the LEDs and segment go out. The zero means nothing really. It is not the result of some test being performed in any of the pincoder ROMs, and I would also suspect is true for the Williams ROMs. It's just how IC33 and IC34 power up in this circuit.

With the Williams ROMs, the number will stop on the test or initialization that fails:

0 Test Passed (only if display goes blank)
1 IC13 RAM Faulty
2 IC16 RAM Faulty
3 IC17 ROM 2 Faulty
4 IC17 ROM 2 Faulty
5 IC20 ROM I Faulty
6 IC14 Game ROM 1 Faulty
7 IC26 Game ROM 0 Faulty
8 IC19 CMOS RAM or memory protect circuit faulty
9 Coin-door closed, memory protect circuit faulty, or IC19 CMOS RAM Faulty

If 0 is left on the display, the CPU is not running. If 0 flashes for an instant and the display goes blank, it is running.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from kevinclark:

Plugged my boards back in and I'm able to get to audit mode! Digits test runs fine. That's the good.
The bad is:
* The big resistors on the bottom right of the driver board are running crazy hot and seem to have burnt the board. I can smell it when they turn on. I've got IRF9Z34Ns on hand and am going to replace the TIP42s and resistors, but seems like there might be an underlying issue there.
* Sound test has no response, though sound diagnostic button works fine.
* Solenoid test has no response. Test 25 or coming back to 1 makes a clicking sound like a relay flipped. Maybe IC 5 PIA bad too.
* Switch test replies with 38 37 35 34 33. So column 5 seems like it's having some issues, but not across the board.
* Lamp test has no response. Thinking IC 10 PIA is bad.

Those resistors do run crazy hot, almost 200F when everything is working properly. It gets worse if you still have incandescent bulbs in the machine. The MOSFETs will drop that down to a little over ambient.

I lost track with what you have done. Have you replaced the 40 pin, ROM and CPU sockets, header pins around the boards? Those are typical problem spots that I always replace before killing myself chasing other symptoms.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

I'm still working on that board, and it'll be much more than just a simple board. Stay tuned. In the mean time, a ZIF wouldn't hurt

Can't wait for your board to come out.

#75 4 years ago

Agree, solenoids can be fired by either the special switch inputs OR the ST1-6 signals from the various PIAs. The PIA and special switch input are combined at the 7408 AND gates IC6 and IC7 then combined with the blanking signal through the 7402 NOR gates IC8 and IC9, then drives the pre-driver and power transistors.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

It's nice to see that other people are also following along and watching for misinformation!
I did some testing, and I was wrong. Thank you for pointing it out. The ST1-6 solenoids CAN be fired from the CPU. See attached for test cases.
Having said that, perhaps I should rewrite 10-solenoids to also fire the ST1-6 solenoids. Thoughts? Can you think of an example of a game and condtion where the CPU would actually do this? Possibly a ball search? Does any system 3-7 game even do a ball search?
Let me know what you'd like to see in the 10-solenoids ROM
[quoted image]
Edit: "B" ST6 Enable is what I've been calling the PIA1 PB2 pin. I'll need to rename it

No ball search that I know of but some games will fire solenoids at the end of a ball. For example, Firepower will fire the "lock" solenoids to eject any locked balls at the end of a game or whenever a ball is detected in a saucer at power-up or during game over.

Black Knight programmatically fires solenoids in the 2 ball lock areas to release balls.

Blackout programmatically fires the solenoid in the saucer

This type of test would be a valuable add IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-mpu-lockup-test-roms?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.