Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by kevinclark
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

I’m having a rough night. Thanks to this forum I had my BK playable. I was swapping rubber rings and had pulled out the novus #2 to clean. I went to show it to a friend and play a round, but one of the upper flippers was locked up again. I adjusted the switch and no change, so I went to ground the coil to make sure that part was still ok and I got no response. Then weak response on the other upper flipper. Then I smelled the burning.

I can’t tell where things got fried, but the two leds on the MPU board light and stay lit when I give it power. This page (http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp) suggests a test rom is my next best option to debug, but suggests something can be done with a test led (though it doesn’t elaborate since test roms exist). I don’t have a rom burner. Do I have another option to isolate the problem or do I need to get one?

Edit: Ah, reread and I found the section for debugging without a test rom. Would be very interested in any advice for going down this path however.

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from kevinclark:

I’m having a rough night. Thanks to this forum I had my BK playable. I was swapping rubber rings and had pulled out the novus #2 to clean. I went to show it to a friend and play a round, but one of the upper flippers was locked up again. I adjusted the switch and no change, so I went to ground the coil to make sure that part was still ok and I got no response. Then weak response on the other upper flipper. Then I smelled the burning.
I can’t tell where things got fried, but the two leds on the MPU board light and stay lit when I give it power. This page (http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp) suggests a test rom is my next best option to debug, but suggests something can be done with a test led (though it doesn’t elaborate since test roms exist). I don’t have a rom burner. Do I have another option to isolate the problem or do I need to get one?
Edit: Ah, reread and I found the section for debugging without a test rom. Would be very interested in any advice for going down this path however.

You have a BK with dual LEDs, not a single digit numeric LED display?

Dual LEDs can mean a myriad of things from bad ROM sockets, to bad ROMs to bad chips on the board.

Do you have a logic probe? First thing to check is to verify the CPU is running by looking for activity on the address and data buses.

#3 9 months ago

Apologies, when I drained this I thought it deleted and I reposted with better information. I have a logic probe and I got the pincoder test Roms working. Pretty sure it’s a bad PIA.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,599.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside