Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by hockeymutt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 days ago

Hey everyone wrapping up a black knight, reflowed all head pins and had the game working great for about 2-3 weeks. Last night the displays wouldn't work and found the issue to be the interconnect on mpu and driver board reseated the interconnect game fired up and digit on mpu flashed between 0-6 a few times and a tiny bit of smoke came from the upper right of the driver board.

Immediately turned the game
Off , yanked both boards and inspected for burns and damage. None found. So I have an interconnect on order. But as for further inspecting what should I look for? all contitunity
Is fine on the board and have no tell tale signs of where this smoke came from. All traces still intact.

#2 9 days ago

Did you miss-align IJ6 or IJ7? I've done that before and had to replace a couple ICs because of it.

#3 9 days ago

Nope never touched those and game worked fine prior to pushing on either corner of the interconnect

#4 9 days ago

I know on my BK there's a metal bracket hidden behind the mpu and driver boards when they're mounted. The mpu is supposed to sit in a slot on the top of the bracket. Maybe the boards weren't mounted properly with respect to that bracket, and something shorted to the metal in the backbox? Not sure if that's the problem here but probably worth checking. Good luck!

#5 9 days ago

Sometimes you can see the damaged chips/components that released magic smoke. Take a careful look at that area of the board looking for soot on parts or the board, look for cracked or blackened parts.

#6 5 days ago

Following up with an update as it will help some one else. Replaced the 40 pin interconnect on both boards. Game boots 100% now and the f2 blowing at start up is gone. Even tho the interconnect looked fine it needed to be replaced. Thought it was the Motorola time chip for a little

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mt Rainier, MD
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside