(Topic ID: 245258)

Black Knight - Lockup? Solenoid Fuse blows? Where to start!

By Turdbol

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Turdbol
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7044 (resized).JPG
IMG_7045 (resized).JPG
IMG_7043 (resized).JPG
IMG_7042 (resized).JPG
IMG_7041 (resized).JPG
IMG_7040 (resized).JPG
IMG_7039 (resized).JPG
IMG_7038 (resized).JPG
IMG_7037 (resized).JPG
IMG_7036 (resized).JPG
IMG_7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_7034 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

So I picked up this decent Black Knight this morning for a fantastic price. However, it needs some love. I knew it needed love when I bought it, but for the price ($200) I simply couldn't say no.

When I plug it in - a few lights on the playfield come on, but nothing else happens. None of the service switches do anything, you can't coin up, no attract mode, nothing. When the game comes on, the MPU immediately says "0" - which I understand to be lockup. However, now it seems to say "1" when I turn it on - which indicates a ram issue.

The board had batteries stored on it for quite awhile, so I believe that is likely the culprit. However, I can't be sure because honestly (and I am not even close to an expert) the board looks quite clean.

On top of that, the F2 fuse (solenoid) was blown when I dove in. I happened to have another fuse on hand, so I opted to see what it did with a good fuse. Swapped fuses, turned it on - all the coils fired, and then the fuse immediately blew. I think this tends to be a locked up coil - but I am not sure.

So - I am sorry, but please try and help the new guy here and tell me where to start!

Also notice in that first photo here - it looks like that right side was a little "smokey"
IMG_7034 (resized).JPGIMG_7034 (resized).JPGIMG_7035 (resized).JPGIMG_7035 (resized).JPGIMG_7036 (resized).JPGIMG_7036 (resized).JPGIMG_7037 (resized).JPGIMG_7037 (resized).JPGIMG_7038 (resized).JPGIMG_7038 (resized).JPGIMG_7039 (resized).JPGIMG_7039 (resized).JPGIMG_7040 (resized).JPGIMG_7040 (resized).JPGIMG_7041 (resized).JPGIMG_7041 (resized).JPGIMG_7042 (resized).JPGIMG_7042 (resized).JPGIMG_7043 (resized).JPGIMG_7043 (resized).JPGIMG_7044 (resized).JPGIMG_7044 (resized).JPGIMG_7045 (resized).JPGIMG_7045 (resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

board doesn't seem to be booting. Step 1 is to rebuild it

#3 4 years ago

Well - sometimes I guess I spoke too soon. I turned it on again to check and see if the sound worked. I turned it on and noticed the "0" was not there. I leaned up against the cabinet and suddenly the flipper activated. Now the flippers activate any time I push the button, the display is cycling through what appears to be the service menu - but it won't coin up - or go into attract mode. But I can at least flip the balls around. I assume the solenoids aren't working because of F2 - wish I had another fuse to try it now!

#4 4 years ago

I have determined that this game is in test mode - and will cycle through it. However, once you get to the top of the numbers (50) it appears to try and go into attract mode as the scoring all changes to 0's. However, the game will not show any attract lights and will not coin up. So some progress.

#6 4 years ago

You can also use these test ROMs to help you diagnose along the way: http://pincoder.ca You will need at least one 2532 or 2732 chip and a programmer to use them.

Try the suggestions in the guide that frunch suggested. It will get you familiar with your game and hopefully fix a few things along the way.

If things still don't work after that try the pincoder ROMs. The main purpose of the ROMs is to allow you to isolate and test independent circuits so you can troubleshoot one thing at a time. In fact, I created the system 7 version using a Black Knight that was in really rough shape and now it runs like a top!

There's a pinside thread if you have any questions about using them too: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms/page/4#post-4996073

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! Yesterday, I was showing my dad how the general illumination lights worked and how I blew the fuse on it (accidentally shorted it). I tapped a plastic to show him, and ALL of the lights came on - they stayed on for about a minute and then went off again. So.......it'll be fun chasing that down!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-lockup-solenoid-fuse-blows-where-to-start?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.