• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

black knight (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi,

First post here, really appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks in advance.

Just picked up this Black Knight, was working fine before I moved it to my place (no drops or issues during the move) and now after hooking it all back up am having issues.

When turning the unit on, the playing field and back glass light up and the left main paddle immediately activates and stays that way. You can hear a hum (none of the speaker noises that it did previously on startup) and on the back glass, the lower left digit shows 0, and the one to the right of it starts counting up to 40 something, then you hear a reset and it repeats. The upper left number shows 2500, none of the right side LCD's show any values. The paddles are non responsive to the buttons and can't start a game.

I've confirmed all of my connections are seated, the ground connection to the head has been reattached, the left paddle switch contacts are not stuck closed. Wondering if anyone can provide any input on where to start with this?

Thanks very much!

Andrew

black knight (resized).jpgblack knight (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!
Don't leave the machine on in this state. You'll blow a fuse, burn up the coil or start a fire.
Since you said the switch isn't stuck closed the next suspect is a bad driver transistor. I looked in the manual but it doesn't list the driver transistor on page 16 of the pdf available from IPDB.org. It will be in the schematics somewhere.

Pinwiki can give you some guidance on testing transistors.

#3 2 years ago

First double check that the 2 large connectors that go between the body and the head are correct in that each wire is the same color on each side of the connector. Do *NOT* depend on the color of the connector (white/natural, black) means it's the 'correct' one. Look at the wire colors themselves. WMS was sloppy around this era and sometimes used different colored connectors (instead of black-black, it could be white-white, white-black, black-white).

Hopefully you do NOT have this issue (you likely don't since it's coming up with 2500 4 on the displays) - one of the symptoms of that mismatch is that the flippers lock on (also probably not because both flippers lock on, and the game will not boot) - in that case, all your +5 chip received solenoid voltage and lots of them would probably be blown.

You're going into audit mode (2500='2'=williams blue roms, 500=game # (black knight) and '4' is the software revision - 4 is the latest official) and then the game is advancing through all the audits to 50 (that's the counting # at the bottom), at 50 the game resets itself and goes back in.

Looks like your advance button on the coin door is stuck as that is the behavior that would happen in this situation. Disconnect the coin door and see if the behavior changes. There are 2 connectors at the top of the mpu board that are 4 pins that sometimes get swapped and it might be one of those.

There is no transistor that controls the left flipper. There is a transistor that turns on the flipper relay, and if the flipper button is on, so will the flipper go up. Since the audit/adjustment mode also turns on the flipper relay, that flipper being up is a separate issue.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick responses.

Yep I screwed up, didn't realize there were multiple connectors used that could be interchanged. Checked the wire colours and I had two of them hooked up incorrectly. Now trying to figure out what I've damaged and how to fix it.

I've run through the diagnostic tests.
All the display characters count up and are working correctly.
While in diagnostic mode, all the flippers work correctly.
Sound test fails all sounds, not making any sounds now.

Biggest issue seems to be credit/start game button is non functional.

Going to test the switch now but, as that was working previously, expecting will be something further down the line.

Has anyone been down this road and know what to look for?

Thanks again!!!

#5 2 years ago

On YouTube joes classic arcades, there is a recent set of videos about black knight
He has a machine he believes had the connectors plugged in incorrectly at some
Point. In one of the videos he goes through all the things that could be damaged. It can be allot unfortunately.
Might be worth watching

#6 2 years ago

will check that now thanks.

#7 2 years ago

If you have caps across your flipper switches clip those as they can short essentially bridging the cabinet switch. One way or another you've got a closure there at the cabinet button. if memory serves they are directly powered thru the cabinet switches. No transistor. The flipper enable relay being on on bootup is something else. But maybe there is a plug a pin off or something causing a bypass situation

#8 2 years ago

Wait a minute I read some more posts.... Did you mix up the black connector and the white connector in the backbox? If so stuff blew up my friend.

#9 2 years ago

Hey Wisefwumyogwave, yeah mixed up the two connectors. First time plugging one in and foolishly expected all the connectors to be unique.

Watched the video, some helpful stuff in there for sure, thanks for that.

Pulled the boards out tonight and started going through it. My main board must have been replaced at some point with the rottendog MPU327.
Found a solder splash that had bridged on the back of it so cleaned that up, but was clearly working with that in place previously. Had a failed mosfet transistor so replaced that guy, but still haven't found the root cause, same issue with credit/start button not doing anything once powered up.

Does anyone know if Rottendog is still in business/parts available for board repairs? Will shoot them an email now.

On the sound board, the bridge rectifier package looked damaged but measured ok. Changed it to be safe and no luck there. When testing it the amplifier component is getting quite warm, going to see if can find one to replace with, otherwise basic 12V and 5V regulator checks passed ok. Does anyone have the schematic for this?

Appreciate any input/suggestions

Thanks!

#10 2 years ago

Pinball Life is handling all Rottendog boards now:

https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-boards.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-left-paddle-up-when-turned-on-and-humming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.