(Topic ID: 318263)

Black Knight Kohout Sound Board Making Me Crazy (Vid inside)

By wrd1972_PinDoc

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
williams-system-cpu-mpu-board-rom-set_1_15e7065c0fbd0bb55d4f73b0e0bfd0e7 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey guys.

Please look at this video of a BK using the Kohout Sound Board combo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fip9w98gmrpy3id/20220705_165031.mp4?dl=0
As you can see the sounds are totally jacked up.

So I sent the boards back to Kohout for them to look at, and once I reinstalled them, the sound problem was the same. Now, if If I install the original Williams boards from my personal BK into the BK machine being serviced, the sounds work like they should. And if I install the Kohout boards into my personal BK, I get the jacked up sounds like in the vid. It just seems to me that this Kohout BK soundboard combo is incompatible in some strange way.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do now? I plan on sending the video to Kohout in the next day or two.

Thanks
Bill

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Hey guys.
Please look at this video of a BK using the Kohout Sound Board combo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fip9w98gmrpy3id/20220705_165031.mp4?dl=0
As you can see the sounds are totally jacked up.
So I sent the boards back to Kohout for them to look at, and once I reinstalled them, the sound problem was the same. Now, if If I install the original Williams boards from my personal BK into the BK machine being serviced, the sounds work like they should. And if I install the Kohout boards into my personal BK, I get the jacked up sounds like in the vid. It just seems to me that this Kohout BK soundboard combo is incompatible in some strange way.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do now? I plan on sending the video to Kohout in the next day or two.
Thanks
Bill

Sounds increasing in sync with score commas:

Reflow sound output connector
test

williams-system-cpu-mpu-board-rom-set_1_15e7065c0fbd0bb55d4f73b0e0bfd0e7 (resized).jpgwilliams-system-cpu-mpu-board-rom-set_1_15e7065c0fbd0bb55d4f73b0e0bfd0e7 (resized).jpg
#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I re-flowed the sound output from the CPU, and the problem remains. Looks like this board has been re-conditioned considering all of the new sockets and headers.

I have also now verified 100% that the CPU board is the problem. I installed a second CPU board and it worked correctly. Any other sound related output things I can check before sending it off?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Thanks for the reply.
Okay, I re-flowed the sound output from the CPU, and the problem remains. Looks like this board has been re-conditioned considering all of the new sockets and headers.
I have also now verified 100% that the CPU board is the problem. I installed a second CPU board and it worked correctly. Any other sound related output things I can check before sending it off?

Suspect a corrupt PIA IC 36

#5 1 year ago

Okay. I will go ahead and replace IC36 and hope for the best. Might as well also do IC 18 as well.
Thanks

#6 1 year ago

I've been dealing with this same problem on my Black Knight intermittently since I bought the game over 15 years ago. The sound would intermittently change to wrong sounds during gameplay (the most noticeble was the "all 3 drop targets collected" sound and the bonus count sound were both dramatically different than they should have been), the background sound would stop running, and during attract mode it would also intermittently start making the same ever-increasing sound effect (pitch would increase with each cycling of the displays between last game score and high score to date) just like wrd1972_PinDoc showed in their video.

Even the speech would still work but sometimes say the wrong phrase. My favorite example: just before I finally decided to give this problem another stab, the game-over speech had changed from "One Enemy Cannot Fight the Black Knight Again" (or whatever it's usual phrase) to the Knight's laugh!!! It was the funniest error I've witnessed on a game! It was also the final slap in the face that motivated me to finally slay the problem once and for all.

I first tried reflowing solder to the MPU connector 1J8 and re-pinned the female connector. That seemed to help but the problem still returned eventually (though less frequently). I tried replacing IC36 yesterday and I thought it was finally fixed... until this morning when it started back to it's old tricks and laughed at me again at the end of the game. This time I pulled the boards to double check my work on IC36 but also went ahead and *replaced* the header pins at 1J8...

I think it's *finally* working properly now, after 15+ years in my possession. I had it on for hours today without a hitch. Thank you PINTEC for the sage advice and wrd1972_PinDoc for posting this thread. Hopefully yours will also be fixed soon!

#7 1 year ago

Okay I have made some progress.

I replaced IC36 and the crazy sound issue "appears" to be completely resolved. Frunch, I would definitely replace that chip with a new chip and a 40-pin socket.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-kohout-sound-board-making-me-crazy-vid-inside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.