• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F8EC4E28-E889-4D50-BFE4-76C06892C121 (resized).jpeg
4B676278-176B-4831-B761-9ADD42ECDEFB (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I am restoring a BK and did a playfield swap. Everything is functional and working except for two switches not registering - and I don't know where else to look.

I cannot get switch 13 (spinner) and switch 21 (Left Kicker - but listed as "Lower Kicker 3-Bank Left Target") to register when doing a switch test and physically having the contacts touch. I have checked the diodes on both switches and the ones on row 5 of the switch matrix - all good. Looked for loose and broken connections - none, all good. Swapped #13 and #21 with known good switches - still won't register. I can get every switch to register on the switch matrix except 13 and 21.

I am not very knowledgeable with chipsets and the main boards, but could this be a board/chip issue if everything on the playfield seems solid?

At wit's end and can definitely use some advice/direction. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:

I am restoring a BK and did a playfield swap. Everything is functional and working except for two switches not registering - and I don't know where else to look.
I cannot get switch 13 (spinner) and switch 21 (Left Kicker - but listed as "Lower Kicker 3-Bank Left Target") to register when doing a switch test and physically having the contacts touch. I have checked the diodes on both switches and the ones on row 5 of the switch matrix - all good. Looked for loose and broken connections - none, all good. Swapped #13 and #21 with known good switches - still won't register. I can get every switch to register on the switch matrix except 13 and 21.
I am not very knowledgeable with chipsets and the main boards, but could this be a board/chip issue if everything on the playfield seems solid?
At wit's end and can definitely use some advice/direction. Thanks!

Missing signals at 2 switches from Row 5:

Check for a broken White/Green wire at the ball shooter switch #45 and then #29 #37

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Missing signals at 2 switches from Row 5:
Check for a broken White/Green wire at the ball shooter switch #45 and then #29 #37

No broken wires at switches #45, #29, or #37. However, should the white/green wires be on the same switch lug for #45 or separated like this?? All the rest of the switches have both white/green wires on same switch lug.

4B676278-176B-4831-B761-9ADD42ECDEFB (resized).jpeg4B676278-176B-4831-B761-9ADD42ECDEFB (resized).jpeg

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:

No broken wires at switches #45, #29, or #37. However, should the white/green wires be on the same switch lug for #45 or separated like this?? All the rest of the switches have both white/green wires on same switch lug.
[quoted image]

I can’t speak to whether this is the issue, and I’m a little OCD, so take this FWIW. But I would redo this bottom connection in this picture. The wires are stranded and it looks like it’s only holding on by two or three strands. Compared with the top connection there is minimal surface area connected.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

I can’t speak to whether this is the issue, and I’m a little OCD, so take this FWIW. But I would redo this bottom connection in this picture. The wires are stranded and it looks like it’s only holding on by two or three strands. Compared with the top connection there is minimal surface area connected.

I know, right?! I am a bit OCD too and that connection bothered me and I was preparing to redo it and noticed the separated green/white wires. I checked all the other switches and all the other wires are paired on the same lug with the banded side of the diode the only thing on the other lug.

I went for it and it appears that yes, they should have been paired! Corrected the problem and now switches #13 and #21 now register on the switch test! Thanks PINTEC for pointing me back to #45!

F8EC4E28-E889-4D50-BFE4-76C06892C121 (resized).jpegF8EC4E28-E889-4D50-BFE4-76C06892C121 (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago
Quoted from RickyBobby1:

I was preparing to redo it and noticed the separated green/white wires. I checked all the other switches and all the other wires are paired on the same lug with the banded side of the diode the only thing on the other lug.

Yep, your wiring chain was definitely broken there.... although with that switch closed the other switches might have started working depending on what signal that was (strobe/return).

That was a whoops for whoever did it for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-just-two-switches-not-working-how-can-this-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.