Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

1)Having an intermittent matrix problem. I can turn the pin on, and it fine for a while with no play, but suddenly the outhole cycles continually. In the switch diagnostic it shows the entire row with the outhole closed, but that is false. The machine will play fine sometime for a while, but then it happens again. The board seems to test fine (only one switch triggering on each pin sequence), and the outhole switch is fine. I understand it could be a short, or a bad diode, but the intermittent part is throwing me off. I'll start to try to determine what is wrong, and without touching anything it will start working again. I didn't think a bad diode or short would cause an intermittent issue, especially when no play is happening. Ideas?

2) If a diode is bad on one of the leaf switches, what's the replacement diode? IN4001?

Thanks much!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PeteBlackwell:

1)Having an intermittent matrix problem. I can turn the pin on, and it fine for a while with no play, but suddenly the outhole cycles continually. In the switch diagnostic it shows the entire row with the outhole closed, but that is false. The machine will play fine sometime for a while, but then it happens again. The board seems to test fine (only one switch triggering on each pin sequence), and the outhole switch is fine. I understand it could be a short, or a bad diode, but the intermittent part is throwing me off. I'll start to try to determine what is wrong, and without touching anything it will start working again. I didn't think a bad diode or short would cause an intermittent issue, especially when no play is happening. Ideas?
2) If a diode is bad on one of the leaf switches, what's the replacement diode? IN4001?
Thanks much!

Enter the switch test when it happens and then disconnect the coin door. See if the error clears. Very common for mangled coin switches to short out an entire row.

#3 4 years ago

slochar,

I think your advice helped. This is my first pin, so greatly appreciate the help. There were some wires in the door that were stripped of insulation and bent, so I covered them with electrical tape and now, so far, I can't get it to fail. If it does fail, I'll disconnect the door and see if that resolves it.

Just in case I have I diode issue on one of the switches later, do you know if the diode is a IN4001 or IN4004?

Again, THANKS MUCH!!!!
Pete

#4 4 years ago

either diode will work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 13.50
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-intermittent-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.