Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pin-up
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Trying to get my Black Knight working again and need a couple pointers. Just rebuilt the PS with new caps, xsistors, diodes. The games goes through diag without problems, starts up fine in attract mode but I get no sound or voice while playing. The sound board goes through self test fine with all sounds and speech. The other problem I have is I can start a game and get served the first ball but after that is played I don't get another ball served. Any tips on what to look at would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Do all the trough switches and the outhole switch under the apron show up when activated in switch test? Make sure to activate the switches with a ball. Before starting the switch test, make sure all drop targets are up. If the switches under the apron all check out, test all the switches in the upper lock trough with a ball and make sure they all register too.

Have you replaced the 40-pin connector between the driver board and mpu? Any other work you've done on the game?

#3 6 years ago

TY, will check this weekend. I had swapped out the driver and MPU boards with "repaired" ones probably 7-8 years ago. At same time replaced speech roms as I had some garbled text. All worked fine for a few years until it didn't anymore. Just getting around to looking at it after sitting for about 3 years. Nothing else major done but rebuilt flippers and some switch contacts cleaned/adjusted years ago.

#4 6 years ago

Right on. Let us know how you fare this weekend, with any luck maybe it's just a switch out of adjustment or something relatively simple. Good luck!

#5 6 years ago

I have the same problem with my BK. The sound works fine when hitting the test button on the sound board. I can see the signals being (attempting to be) triggered by the CPU board on the soundboard connection j3. I have used a logic probe and some testing to validate that the signals go low at j3 as expected or at least, they aren't stuck high or low. Disconnecting j3 on the sound board and grounding out one pin at a time has no effect either, but IT SHOULD trigger sounds. I have gone through the PIA, CPU, ROM/RAM and DAC and there is no apparent problems or stuck pins on those. The 4050 buffer chip has been replaced as I had that available for replacement. It seems like there is something on the input circuit to the board that is blocking the triggering of sounds. Anyone out there have this problem and know a fix?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from squeezebox:

I have the same problem with my BK. The sound works fine when hitting the test button on the sound board. I can see the signals being (attempting to be) triggered by the CPU board on the soundboard connection j3. I have used a logic probe and some testing to validate that the signals go low at j3 as expected or at least, they aren't stuck high or low. Disconnecting j3 on the sound board and grounding out one pin at a time has no effect either, but IT SHOULD trigger sounds. I have gone through the PIA, CPU, ROM/RAM and DAC and there is no apparent problems or stuck pins on those. The 4050 buffer chip has been replaced as I had that available for replacement. It seems like there is something on the input circuit to the board that is blocking the triggering of sounds. Anyone out there have this problem and know a fix?

With nothing connected to the inputs of the sound card, measure pin 3 of IC6 or pin 4 of IC7 (electrically the same). If this is LOW, check IC7 for a bad inverter. With nothing connected to the sound board inputs, all inputs of IC6 should be hi (2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12). If all inputs are HI without sound board input, continue.

Put the game in sound test from the coin door diagnostics switches. This will cycle the sound board inputs through some of the sounds (grounding some sound board inputs). Put your logic probe on PIA pin 13. This pin should be going low and high as each input is triggered. Alternately, you can measure it as you ground and unground one of the sound board inputs.

If pin 13 DOES NOT go hi and low, replace IC6.

If it DOES go hi and low, replace the PIA.

#7 6 years ago

OK so I checked all my trough switches upper and lower and they all register fine as I add a ball at a time during the switch test. One thing I did notice is that all the commas in the 4 player displays are lit all the time in normal or diag mode. Thought I read that during the display test they should only be on during odd numbers. Maybe this coupled with no sound or speech point to IC 36 PIA that controls the commas and sounds?

#8 6 years ago

Working update!
Checked the sound board by pulling the input connector and grounding inputs. Sounds were fine. So decided that it must be IC36 PIA on MPU as that controls the sounds and commas in the display. Original chip on the board and no socket. Cut it out and installed a socket and new chip. Game is 100% now. Solved my display, sound and single ball play problems. Santa gets to play Black Knight this year!

#9 6 years ago

Kick ass! I've had Black Knight for a few years and it's a lot of fun to play. Every now and then I run into the ball issue and it's always been just a little cleaning with the q-tip and rubbing alcohol on the trough switches and were back to playing again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-help-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.