Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So have a Black Knight that has been working fine for awhile. I recently tried to pull it from the wall to level the machine. When I put it back, the attract mode comes on and it has credits... everything looks normal. But the game won't start from the button. Tried reinserting the balls but no luck. Looked at the switch behind the button and it looks like it's making contact.

Not sure where to start or what it might be... have done some mods and basic repair.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Check in test mode that all the switches in the ball trough (including the outhole), the lock, the tilt, and the start button are working correctly

#3 2 years ago

If it is booting and looks ready (and you really haven't done anything inside), it is usually missing balls are the issue when starting the game.

Have you run the switch test? It should show the switches in the trough closed (active). It will also show if the start button is working.

While you are there check any other switches that are closed and shouldn't be, and run light and coil tests too.

If you don't have the manual, they are linked on this page: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=310

#4 2 years ago

I must type slow...

#5 2 years ago

never tried the switch test yet on BK.... I've used it a few times for my newer Sterns. I'll check it using the manual tonight thanks!

#6 2 years ago

Make sure to get the ball out of the lock. If the ball is not triggering that switch, the game won't start. It's happened to me.

#7 2 years ago

okay here's the update... in switch test, I was able to get all three balls to trigger switches 17, 18, 19 (right, center, and left ball ramp). So the game starts now. I hear the BK sound callout but now the ball won't kick out into the shooter lane. It just sits there. In Solenoid Test, I'm guessing that it's supposed to cycle fire all of the coils. I should hear and see them. Well nothing seems to be firing - I hear a click when it goes to 25.

Wondering if it's a fuse blown or something and where + how do I check for that? Please advise thanks.

#8 2 years ago

The fuses are on the PSU, lower right corner of the backbox.

#9 2 years ago

F2 on the power supply board may be blown. It's a 2.5 amp slo-blo fuse. Remove it from the fuse holder and check it with a meter. If it is bad, I'd suggest checking all coils under the playfield (except the flippers, which are on a different circuit). Make sure the wires are firmly attached to the coils and that the solder lugs on the coils are not touching metal or anything. If everything looks ok under the playfield, then try replacing the fuse. Fuses usually blow for a reason, so even if replacing the fuse fixes it, you may not be out of the woods just yet. Let us know how it goes!

#10 2 years ago

Where can I find a meter to check it? Never done it before... Also where can I find a fuse replacement... Links?

#11 2 years ago

Fuses can usually be found at home depot or lowes. If you happen to have a radio shack around they'll probably stock fuses and a meter. Home depot might have meters. I know harbor freight carries some cheap ones too. You can usually tell just by looking at the fuse if it's bad though. If there isn't a clean wire going all the way across then it's blown. You'll definitely want to buy a meter though, it'll be useful down the line.

#12 2 years ago

I've been fooled trying to eyeball whether a fuse is good. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it isn't. As a rule, i would always recommend testing with a meter to be sure. You can get a cheap meter at harbor freight/HD/Lowe's or Amazon. You'll want to get one that has an audible (buzzer/beep) continuity test, it makes it much easier when testing fuses, bulbs etc. I always recommend pulling the fuse out of its holder for testing, too. You may have better luck finding the correct replacement fuse at an electronics store like radio shack, but HD/Lowe's may have what you need. You'll want to make sure they're "MDL" aka "slow-blow" fuses. I'm sure you can find some videos online demonstrating how to test fuses with a meter.

Here's a link to the fuses: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-2-5-amp-250v-1-x-sb-fuse-4-pack?variant=20332268677

Here's a link to a basic meter that should suffice: amazon.com link »

Be sure to follow up if you have any further questions or updates!

#13 2 years ago

I don't know what it is about Black Knights....I've owned 8 or 9 of them and EVERY one of them has had issues. Weird issues that made me promise to myself never to touch another one even if it was given to me. Love the theme, hate the pin.

#14 2 years ago

bb2j3z,

You have a lot to learn! Welcome to the world of pinball troubleshooting and repair!

Here is a good head start for learning things as you get acquainted with multimeters:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/how-to-use-a-multimeter.shtml

Here is a good start for your machine (Williams System 7):
http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart1.asp

Fuses are checked with power off, and preferably out of the fuse holder. Work safe, and good luck.

#15 2 years ago

Thanks everyone... I'll check this out.... Trying to get the pin back up to sell it.

#16 2 years ago

So got the multimeter, yeah the fuse is dead.... Put in a new one.... Game started and was playing fine right until the first ball went into the drain. It wouldn't kick out a new ball then and restarting the game... Back to same issue so got a short somewhere and the new fuse is dead now. How can I figure out where the short is? Is it just eyeballing the wiring around the drain and kick out? Looking for anything open wire touching each other?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

So got the multimeter, yeah the fuse is dead.... Put in a new one.... Game started and was playing fine right until the first ball went into the drain. It wouldn't kick out a new ball then and restarting the game... Back to same issue so got a short somewhere and the new fuse is dead now. How can I figure out where the short is? Is it just eyeballing the wiring around the drain and kick out? Looking for anything open wire touching each other?

Check the resistance of both coils in the trough, it's possible one is bad

#18 2 years ago

I would look for a bad diode on the coil that kicks the ball from the out hole into the trough. That one is located on top of the playfield under the apron.

#19 2 years ago

Okay figured out the problems with the coils... one of them had a diode that was touching the coil wiring which was shorting the fuse. The coils were fine using the multimeter.

So after separating, the game is working now but one last problem. The switch at the lower playfield eject hole isn't working now... it's the one that starts multi ball. So when a ball goes into the lock, it just stays there. Ran switch test, it doesn't register... then adjusted the switch and checked with the playfield lifted. The switch makes contact but doesn't come up in test. In the manual it's listed as switch 24.

Not sure what to do now.

#20 2 years ago

Check the wiring and diode to the switch. Test all other switches in the same column and row as that switch in the switch test. It could be a broken wire or diode on one of the other switches on the same row or column as that one (which could cause that switch not to work even if the switch/wiring/diode all check good)...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
Buckner, MO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
3,700 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Li, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kalamazoo, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,499.00
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jackson, WI
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside