black knight freaking out when turned on

By pinballwizard102

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just saved a black knight from going to the dump b ackglass is shot so if anyone has a translites or used b ackglass I would be interested. ..when you first power on machine it starts to freak out all lights and coils vibrate on is the best way to describe is this a capacitor problem?

#2 9 years ago

I cant turn on long enough to test without melting everything I tried unplugging driver board and same response

#3 9 years ago

Double check all your connections, make sure they are in correct order.

#4 9 years ago

Yeah I did that against another system 7 I have and they are correct they said it worked last year and sat all winter and now this is the results

#5 9 years ago

Did it sit all winter with batteries in it? Is there corrosion, or any sign of old corrosion on the battery holder or board.

#6 9 years ago

A little tiny spot on a terminal on the battery holder but it tiny

#7 9 years ago

Ok swapped driver board and mpu with a fire power 2 attract lights came on but coils still firing randomly

#9 9 years ago

Is the computer booting or locked up when turning on the game?

#10 9 years ago

It trays to boot attract lights come on but flash on and off

#11 9 years ago

Black knight pinball:

#12 9 years ago

Here is a video of what's happening

#13 9 years ago

Video marked private on youtube. Attempted to view it on ipad

#14 9 years ago

Ok changed the settings to public

#15 9 years ago

I found if I pull the f2 fuse which is for solenoid it stops freaking out and mpu locks on a 0 and the two lights next to mpu stay on

#16 9 years ago

I would have to think that the 5votls on the power supply is the issue...too low.
You should unplug all the connections on the driver board so it will stop all the things firing so you can measure the voltage. Might as well check 12 volts too.

#17 9 years ago

Also, did you connect a black connector to a white one within the wire harness below the backbox?
Or black and black are matched and white and white are matched? I hope they are.

#18 9 years ago

I will definitely check the connectors tomorrow I left backbox on when I moved it so they are as they were

#19 9 years ago

Our Gorgar started doing that same exact thing. Swapped out the mpu with a known good one and its been fine ever since (knock on wood). Haven't have time to look at that board since I swapped it out.

There was a bally kiss on Clay's site that was locked in a boot cycle repeat, I haven't watched the video yet to see what all he went through. I know they are different systems but there might be some good information in there. Seems like a similar problem to me...

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from r6emperor:

Our Gorgar started doing that same exact thing. Swapped out the mpu with a known good one and its been fine ever since (knock on wood). Haven't have time to look at that board since I swapped it out.

Did you use the same game ROMs on the replacement MPU ?

#21 9 years ago

Yes I did. We were just getting ready to tear it down to take it out on location when it started flipping out. Just swapped everything over and that was that. I did check the power board outputs first to make sure it wasn't too low and causing resets

#22 9 years ago

Great. So that should eliminate the game ROMs as a problem, I hope in this case.

#23 9 years ago

Ive seen this before like i suspected the 2 large connectors were or are reversed dont go by the 2 large connector colors but match the color of wires on both sides.
Only last thing we need to know is if the sound board is dead as well.
If it is the reversed connectors happened your tda2002 is nuked on the sound board. the 7406 ics or the switch matrix is fried, the memory protect circuit is nuked along with a few other things. If the connectors are still reversed you also nuked the other boards you tried in the black knight as well.

#24 9 years ago

Sound works normally It goes through sound test as long as fuse f2 is pulled it doesn't freak out the other boards I installed I put back in firepower 2 and they still worked

#25 9 years ago

What's the voltage supposed to be on the f2 fuse holder I am getting 50 volts dc?

#26 9 years ago

Ok got it mostly working took out old mpu found a good working one put roms in a it worked somewhat still having issues with driver board the right magnasave magnet stays on and burned out right drop target coil

#27 9 years ago

Have you replaced the 40 pin inter-board connector? These get flaky and you'll be chasing your tail looking for other problems.

#28 9 years ago

Not yet was just trying to get it somewhat going first

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-freaking-out-when-turned-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.