Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK_Flipper_LeftLowerA.jpg
Image from iOS (2) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (3) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (5) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (4) (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Recently installed brand new flipper assemblies for my black knight. Everything flips alright and appears to work, only it's a little quirky.

Here's some video of what's going on: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cvksLH2mGf7JDoKCWuwANM87uC1aRxbv?usp=sharing

Not quite sure how to describe it, but some of the flippers do a small "stutter" every dozen flips or so. I noticed that the lower left flipper coil is getting warm, and the other three spark at the EOS switch when flipping (but don't get warm). The lower left flipper that's getting warm does not spark, for what that's worth.

I've checked the EOS switches, and I don't think they need adjusting. Everything is wired as it was with the old flipper assemblies. No idea what else I should troubleshoot or what else it could be.

Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

The one getting warm, does the EOS open up soon enough ? Wired right ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Looks like the lower left is not wired right. The power to banded side of diode, eos middle tab and ground and eos on far tab. I don’t see the ground in your video.

#4 4 years ago

Just me or does the EOS gap look excessive?

#5 4 years ago

Wiring photos.

Image from iOS (2) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (2) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (3) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (3) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (4) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (4) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (5) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (5) (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Are the blue wires shorting on the ends of the eos switches ? Hard to see clearly in the pics.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from calsheimer:

The lower left flipper that's getting warm does not spark, for what that's worth.

The grounding wire on the lower left flipper coil is soldered to the wrong lug. That flippers End Of Stroke (EOS) switch is effectively out of the circuit meaning the high power thrust coil winding is always getting full power when you hold the flipper button in. That's why it's getting warm - it will eventually burn out if you leave it.

You need to move that wire to the end coil lug where the other blue wire for the EOS switch is connected.

BK_Flipper_LeftLowerA.jpgBK_Flipper_LeftLowerA.jpg

#8 4 years ago

Yep that’s what I noticed in the video.

Since the flippers are in serial on each side, the lower will affect the upper and that’s what you are seeing.

#9 4 years ago

Ah hah. Thanks so much. I’ll try that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1,059.00
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-flipper-problems-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.