New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 160465)

Black Knight Flipper Problems

By smileymatthew

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by smileymatthew
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I'd like to think I'm pretty smart, but I'm a bit lost on this one.

Black Knight:

Left Flipper(s) Issues. Upper Flipper : "Machine Gunning" of sorts. Replaced: Flipper Coil (Twice), EOS, Flipper Cabinet Switches AND driver board. Getting 36V on all Lugs (roughly) - If I ground the Middle Lug it snaps and hits hard. In gameplay, it's almost as if there isn't enough power (After the EOS opens) to keep it up and it falls back a bit and starts machine gunning and the EOS opens and closes very fast. If I ground the left tab of coil to ground strap it acts the same way. Trying to figure out what's going on. Side note, the Lower Left Flipper seems a bit weak too. I disconnected the upper flipper left most lug wires (Ground and EOS) for now, and the left flipper still seems weak, not sure if they are related. I know the coil is good (I tried 3 different ones) as usually that fixed this machine gunning issue. All the other flippers the in the game seem to operate fine.

Clay's guide says there should be two wires on the center lug, but I tried that (on the upper left flipper) it and cause the lower left flipper to machine gun instead! Is the wiring screwed up here. Bad ground? Totally lost on this one!

#2 4 years ago

Start up a game, take the ball out of the shooter lane and carefully lift the field onto the prop rod (don't tilt it). Turn the lights out in the room, and press the flipper button. You are likely to see some very bright arcing on a switch. This will show you where to start...

#3 4 years ago

I've run into this a couple of times and it turned out to be the EOS switch itself causing it (the contact points were the bimetallic type). What Kind of EOS are you using? Check the resistance of the EOS' when closed. Try cleaning them with Alcohol even if they are new and see if the resistance changes.

#4 4 years ago

Right. Looking into it more. Thing is, it was having the same behavior previously with the old EOS/Coil, which is why I replaced them to begin with. What resistance should I be seeing with the EOS open and closed?

#5 4 years ago

You should have .03 ohms across clean closed eos switch and the same for the cabinet switch .New eos switches rarely work correctly without cleaning and slight adjustment .Also check the cabinet switch a lot of times the contacts are burned up

#6 4 years ago

Did it ever work correctly, or did you get it this way?

Post CLEAR, FOCUSED, WELL LIT photos and let's see what your wiring looks like.

#7 4 years ago

I got it this way. Didn't boot when I first got it. Will get some pictures. EOS and Cabinet switches are NEW and are acting the same way as the old.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside