• 3,201 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#684 6 years ago

Hate to make make my joined the BK club a support request but pinball can be a mystery sometimes. I recently picked up a Very nice BK that I have wanted for years! Has a New Rottendog MPU and the game plays and functions perfectly. However.... none of the displays work. I picked up a new LED set thinking they were shot and the upgrade would give it a new life. Unfortunately new displays and card installed the result is the same. Just a few random numbers lit (like before) and nothing else? I could Really use some help. My Guess is there are issues with the power supply board but guessing also got me a new set of LED displays! lol. Any help on this would Really be appreciated. I am stuck and playing this awesome game without a score display minimizes the challenge. Thank you for Any assistance. I am rather good with a soldering iron, not so great at hunting blind.

IMG_7978 (resized).JPGIMG_7978 (resized).JPG

IMG_7979 (resized).JPGIMG_7979 (resized).JPG

IMG_7980 (resized).JPGIMG_7980 (resized).JPG

#686 6 years ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

Have you thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly checked the orientation of ALL ribbon cables?

I double checked every ribbon cable and they look correct to me. Replaced every board connector and pins that connect the displays to the MPU and power supply. Verified 100v etc on power supply and still nothing.... What simple or not so simple thing am I missing or is this BK possessed by some higher power?? Any advice would be Great appreciated so I can actually enjoy this amazing game.

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do the buttons inside the coin door work?

OK, now you have me intrigued. No, it doesn't look like the coin door switches work granted without displays I don't know what they should do. Does this mean something Hopefully?? I do hope that this coin door question can lead me to a new path. Thanks for any reply.

#692 6 years ago

OK, played with the coin door again and while I don't see an action on the displays (still just a random number on each) the playfield lights do stop cycling when I hit the door switches so I will assume they are working. Still lost.

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The coin door connector and the display enable connector are right next to each other and have the same number of pins. If you plugged them in backwards the displays would never turn on. Doesn't sound like that's your problem though if you've gotten a reaction out of them. The display enable connector is the one with only one wire. What's the voltage on that pin?

I checked the plug you referred to which is IJ3 on my board and it measures 4.9 volts. I believe thats correct though nothing would surprise me at this point. Thanks for giving me some direction.

#695 6 years ago

Sorry forgot a picture if that helps.

IMG_7987 (resized).JPGIMG_7987 (resized).JPG

#697 6 years ago

After replacing the 6821 chip I noticed a pimple on the IC6 chip. I assume this may be the issue, fingers crossed. I emailed Rottendog to see if that was the case and how to get this chip. I do hope this is it now I need to figure out where to find it. Thanks to all for the guidance.

IMG_7989 (resized).JPGIMG_7989 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#716 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

After replacing the 6821 chip I noticed a pimple on the IC6 chip. I assume this may be the issue, fingers crossed. I emailed Rottendog to see if that was the case and how to get this chip. I do hope this is it now I need to figure out where to find it. Thanks to all for the guidance.

Just wanted to post an update and completion to this post hoping it may help someone in the future. Cody and others you were correct. I ended up changing out the 74HCT154 chip with the "bump" in it and the game now works Perfectly as do all the displays! Simple extraction and Great Plains had them out to me for a minimal $3. Only moderate disappointment in the entire ordeal to be honest is after buying the board, displays, and countless other items from Rottendog I did not receive any response, support, or guidance even after multiple calls and emails. Sad to me as in the past the support has been remarkable and the products used to be fairly premium. Thanks again to All on this forum for reaching out to provide guidance, the BK lives on and the restoration can begin.......

2 weeks later
#718 6 years ago

NEW Custom Black Knight Illuminated MOD replacement ramps

Show your beloved Black Knight the love he (or she?) deserves! Are your 37 year old ramps dented and showing their age? New from The Mod Couple we offer you this complete plug and play Illuminated Custom ramp set to make your Black Knight Shine!! Simple install, you don’t even have to raise the playfield! (Maybe 15 minutes?) Precision cut from the same stainless steel and hardness as original with a Custom highly detailed theme art cut to accent each piece. Each ramp has an illumination filter as shown with LED back lighting. Light grain finish applied though you could polish them too a shine if you wished. As seen in photo, it does a great job of adding some much needed light to that area while also giving it a Truly custom look!! Everything is included in the kit!! Plug and play LED setup, Both left and right ramps Pre-formed to original shape, and a bottom adhesive shim to ensure level installation. Completely Reversible granted I’m not sure Why you would remove it? Does Not effect ball roll or play. Light up the Knight with this personalized kit. Ramps are in stock now and ready to ship. Feel free to PM me any questions or inquire about purchase. Complete kit is $117 plus 6.95 priority shipping. Thank you for viewing our New Product!!

The Mod Couple
Dave and Darcy

IMG_8373 (resized).jpgIMG_8373 (resized).jpg
IMG_8379 (resized).jpgIMG_8379 (resized).jpg
IMG_8376 (resized).jpgIMG_8376 (resized).jpg
IMG_8381 (resized).jpgIMG_8381 (resized).jpg
IMG_8382 (resized).jpgIMG_8382 (resized).jpg

#720 6 years ago

Thanks Vintage. Hard to photo how great it looks live. In my opinion it looks like something Williams would have done to add value and a unique look. Definitely lights up that area which is normally pretty dark.

#722 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Those are pretty cool, is the surface smooth? If there's a hint of cut in the metal, won't it scratch the ball and dull them pretty quickly?
Usually we don't see metal cuts where there is ball travel because of this . Even cliffys will dull a ball faster than factory without cliffys in place. So, just curious to see how often the balls will need replacing when using these if they cut into the ball???
Cool idea either way

Great questions and I do appreciate the input. To start I will say that I have had these ramps in personal test for some 500 plus games now (as shown in photo) and there is no sign of wear nor did I see any pitting of the ball with weekly checks. My opinion is in newer era titles (DMD WMS, Bally, Stern) where ball play and travel is Insanely fast, these old titles like BK are fairly slow playing games. JMO The ramps are extremely thin (.020" Stainless HH) and while the ball does travel over them they really don't register any action or movement. In say a Hobbit which also has monogram ramps and high speed travel I would question ball wear. The surface is extremely smooth (same as originals). As for comparison to Cliffy's. GREAT Product that I have on ALL of my games!! My guess is the reason (though I have not seen it) why that application Might wear is because the ball is Technically jumping over the Edge of the Stainless rim. In my application the ball is simply rolling across it. Hope that makes sense and Love my Cliffy's! lol Thanks again for the feedback, they really do look Amazing and almost bring an element to the game that seems to Belong there which is not always the case for a MOD or upgrade.

The Mod Couple

1 week later
#723 6 years ago

While I have been in the Black Knight club for awhile now making ramps etc today I Officially and Finally finished restoring my own BK! What a great game and wonderful addition to my collection. A call out to Mayfair for the Amazing New replacement backglass. Truly a piece of art and worth Every penny!! I overhauled the machine from top to bottom (labor of love) with new boards, displays, and complete airbrush playfield touchup. Thanks to VID and his Amazing support documents! I did end up giving the Playfield protector a try on this title though I do not give my endorsement nor would I buy any more for various reasons. Just does not look/play right for me. Personal opinion. Other than that thanks to all on this group for the detailed photos, upgrade ideas, and trouble shooting advice when I was trapped with Rottendog board issues. Turned out amazing and Very much worth the time/research/effort.

IMG_8405 (resized).JPGIMG_8405 (resized).JPG

IMG_8408 (resized).JPGIMG_8408 (resized).JPG

IMG_8406 (resized).JPGIMG_8406 (resized).JPG

IMG_8407 (resized).JPGIMG_8407 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#725 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Looking good Yelobird, with any luck I am painting my yellow stencils tonight, getting me one step closer to completion on mine.

Good luck with the stenciling! Luckily I didn't have to go that route with only very minor black touch ups to a rather nice original cabinet. Not the case with the Bally Kiss I'm currently working on. That one was a basket case from top to bottom so I'll see how my hand is with stenciling on that one.....

1 month later
#775 6 years ago

Not sure if this will help you but you could always simply download the manual with schematic if not. Good Luck.

IMG_7980 (resized).JPGIMG_7980 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#829 6 years ago

Really hoping someone can help me Please. Have a really nice BK that is not wanting to play nice let alone at all all of a sudden?! Game worked perfectly for a long time suddenly he (she) is fighting back. During game play the game will suddenly just reset? Not that familiar with this older board sets and hope someone could share some advice. My guess is start with the (2) BR's circled? Or do I just opt for a completely new power supply board as that is the only not new piece I haven't replaced? I would appreciate Any guidance thanks!!!!

IMG_7979 (resized).JPGIMG_7979 (resized).JPG

#831 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

First thing is the check the 5V, if it's too low I'd replace the voltage regulator.

Since I will be ordering parts, any other "yeah I would do that also" type parts? I think I have a new voltage regulator somewhere in my box o crap. Since I have all new boards including displays would it be reasonable to just get a new power board? I only ask this because this game is at a relatives house now and the thought of driving there every other week to trouble shoot a new part is a last resort I am hoping..

#833 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Can't hurt to recap the board too. Rectifier diodes might be going bad.

Thank you Very much for the advise! I will overhaul them this weekend. Much appreciated!

#837 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The rectifiers you circled are not part of the 5V supply. There is another rectifier on the power supply board itself that is used in the 12V -12V and 5V section. To make it bullet proof, I would recap the board and replace the header pins.
The GI pins and connector get toasty on BK. Should plan on replacing the connector with trifuricon crimp pins as well as the header pins.
Have a good look at the 12 pin rectangular connector. This is where AC enters the board and if toasty can cause problems.
There are 2 fuses for the 5V supply. Have a good look at the clips and replace if they look like they got warm (unlikely). Using a green scrubby, clean the clips (or replace) and clean the metal ends on the fuses (or replace).
While not typically a problem, you might want to plan on replacing the connectors J6 (15 pin) on the power supply and J2 (9 pin) on your combo board and with new trifuricon crimp pins and housing. This is where power leaves the power supply board and enters the CPU board.
With these updates, you should be all set!

Thank you VERY much! Huge help and definitely a good plan of attach. I will do all that has been recommended and hope they enjoy the game for many years to come! Thank you all for your help!!

#838 6 years ago

Turns out I called and they said it is only doing it when they flip both flippers which is why I assumed it might be the bridges. Fun with old games....

#848 6 years ago
Quoted from dcannan:

replying to Travish, I haven't figured how to quote yet. Yes I have a very nice one. It came from an operator who was so impressed with BK he bought one for each of his pin locations. Then when it was time to rotate things he brought one home and traded in the rest. At sometime it stopped working and sat unused in his family room for years. It still in real nice shape, except for a few small scares on the cab from the number of times I've moved it, and it just recently stopped working.

Looks great. For cleanup a good cabinet clean with Mean Green or your favorite cleaner and your good. Maybe some target stickers and a refresh on some of those dried out rubber nuts and you will be good. As you don't have much of any wear on the playfield a slow and cautious cleaning with Novus 3-2-and 1 and a good wax and the playfield will be ready. For the "not working" part of your formula do your best to describe exactly whats happening or Not happening and when and there are many here that will help as BK experts. Good find.

1 week later
#854 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Hey everybody!
I've been given the task of restoring a BK for a friend, and it looks to be quite a project. I've done some pf restoration in the past, so that's not terrifying to me, but the first thing I noticed on this game is that most of the inserts have sunken badly. So, that's a ton of work right there...I was hoping there would be an insert kit available but haven't been able to turn anything up. Are there resources out there for this?

Are they sunken or cupped? Seems like if they are simply sunk in you could relevel and epoxy them? I think those are going to be hard inserts to find. Best of luck. Great game. Let me know if you should need any pics as I recently tore one down completely.

3 months later
#947 6 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Does anybody have the file for insert decals? Thanks in advance. Just bought well-working machine. Just needs a good playfield resto, touch up and clear.

I'll shoot you a PM. I scanned my set as a backup in case I needed another.

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Me too please?
thanks

Would need to PM me your email as the file is to large to send.

4 months later
#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

The gray prototypes fit absolutely perfect. Screws thread in perfectly. Roll of red ABS on order to do some finals.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome but I would strongly suggest using Nylon X instead of ABS. Was designed to hold up under serious stress where abs tends to crack in short order. Mattermaker makes great Nylon filament in several colors. Just a suggestion. Good luck and looking great.

#1251 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Are those metal ramps pliable like the originals? Or are they more solid like modern ramps? I've been wondering if the pliability of the ramps deadens the ball at all

I use the same 304 full hard stainless steel and same thickness as the originals. Direct replacement only with a bit of flare and some much needed light in that area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.