• 3,199 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vintageclub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#572 7 years ago

Here's some gameplay of my Black Knight. Just got it finished before taking it to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown 2016.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Nice BK! What is that hanging ball over the left MagnaSave? And what is the ball track across the playfield?

Its a "ball and chain" weapon... just hangs there and gets drawn in when you activate Magna-Save. The ball jumps up and smacks it once in awhile, too, which hits the glass and swings around. Its just a nice little effect. The ball ramp on the lower level is to start the game on the lower playfield instead of the upper (I wanted to make a more difficult version of Black Knight). So, you have to first get up to the upper playfield before you can start locking balls. The upper "gate" was moved down to the lower level and the ball can now go back down the shooter lane and pop out the "chute" above the magna-save. Just one more way for the ball to get down to the lower level. Its a lot tougher version of Black Knight and the people at the show seemed to agree and enjoy it because of that.

SAM_0051_(resized).JPGSAM_0051_(resized).JPG

SAM_0055_(resized).JPGSAM_0055_(resized).JPG

SAM_0060_(resized).JPGSAM_0060_(resized).JPG

SAM_0061_(resized).JPGSAM_0061_(resized).JPG

SAM_0063_(resized).JPGSAM_0063_(resized).JPG

SAM_0066_(resized).JPGSAM_0066_(resized).JPG

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Would you kindly show us more pics? This sounds amazing.
-mof

Here are a few more. The shooter lane feeds to the flip/flop ramp and goes across the playfield to the left flipper return, which lites the Mystery center ramp for a "Mystery Skill Shot." Because the upper gate is no longer there, sometimes the center ramp shot feeds directly into that tunnel, down the shooter lane, and pops out the chute. If you have a magna-save lit, then you can grab the ball right as it comes out of the chute and drop it safely in the right lane for a spinner shot. I've added some switches and altered the wiring so that Magna-Save is dynamically controlled by the player (like Pharaoh) instead of just holding the ball for a pre-determined amount of time. This is handy, not just to speed up the game, but when multiple balls get stuck on the magnet you can flutter them off safely instead of always dropping one accidentally down the outlane. Lots of mods and changes throughout. Really fun and challenging.

IMG_1761_(resized).jpgIMG_1761_(resized).jpg

IMG_1762_(resized).jpgIMG_1762_(resized).jpg

IMG_1763_(resized).jpgIMG_1763_(resized).jpg

IMG_1765_(resized).jpgIMG_1765_(resized).jpg

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Best Black Knight ever?
-mof

I'd like to see WELL-LIT picks of the craftsmanship here. Especially where the shooter lane goes up into the wireform.

Not sure if I have any on hand. This game and Barracora came back from the RMPShowdown in Denver and went right into storage until we get into our new house. What a pain, don't want to move again until the kids are grown and out of the house. Yeesh.

The vertical "flip flop" shooter lane ramp is repurposed from a Gottlieb "Monte Carlo" machine, along with parts of the skill shot ramp. I cut out the sections I needed, formed my rails and welded it all up, then powdercoated everything in "black diamond" coating. After doing all this its incredibly fun and challenging but I don't want to go this custom again for awhile. It was a tremendous amount of work.

Here's a video walkaround of it lit and unlit that I made a few weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.grant.5205/videos/10153675542027029/

2 months later
#595 7 years ago

Good morning fellow BKers. My Black Knight was left on overnight and now this morning the solenoids are not doing anything and the Black Knight is skipping words in his phrases. I'm sure that I can figure out the solenoid issue but does anyone have an idea of what might be happening with the speech?

I can't recall but alot of the older games use solenoid drivers to cue the speech from the sound board. The solenoids not firing could have some reason that the speech board is never telling those phrases/words to play back. You can look up the transistors in the manual to see what they fire and work your way back from there.

Alright, just looked into it. The system 3-6 get triggered that way, not System 7 like Black Knight. Here's what the pinrepair guide says:

When System7 came with Black Knight, driver board transistors were no longer used to trigger sounds. Instead the System7 CPU board had an additional PIA chip at IC36 which triggered the sounds (this freed up the driver board transistors for coils instead of triggering sound). The sounds were still generated by the same sound board in the same manner though, using the same pinout. Grounding sound board connectors 10J3 pins 2,3,4,5,7. Just this was now done by the CPU board's extra PIA chip at IC36 (and a new connector on the CPU board at 1J8). Here's the system7 CPU connector 1J8 pins. Note this connector also handles commas for the score displays:

1J8 pin1: Comma for displays 3 & 4 (Brown/White)
1J8 pin 2: Comma display players 1 & 2 (Violet)
1J8 pin 3: Key pin
1J8 pins 4-7: No Connection
1J8 pin 8: Sound Select 4 (Yellow) to sound board 10J3-7
1J8 pin 9: Sound Select 3 (Green) to sound board 10J3-4
1J8 pin 10: Sound Select 2 (Blue) to sound board 10J3-5
1J8 pin 11: Sound Select 1 (Red) to sound board 10J3-2
1J8 pin 12: Sound Select 0 (Red/Yellow) to sound board 10J3-3
With the sound board connector pinout info, some (not all!) of the individual sounds can be triggered by momentarily grounding the sound board Sound Select pin. You won't get all sounds this way (many sounds are triggered from a combination of pins being grounded), but at least you can do some prelim tests on the sound board. Also helpful is of course the sound board test switch, which should fire off most of the sounds at any time.

2 weeks later
#602 7 years ago

Black Knight is back! The ball-release solenoid in the trough was intermittently working. I found it's trigger wire on switch row connector 2J3 and punched it down good. This must have been the final straw in the Q15 driver transistor's battle to stay alive and it shorted, heating up the solenoid and taking it out. I ordered and installed a new solenoid, replaced Q15 and Q14 transistors, and now all is better!
I don't know how this ended up related to the sounds but all of the sounds are back to normal as well.
Thank you everyone for your input on this.

Did you do the fuse mod on the bridge rectifiers? Its not related to your issue at all, but if one of them shorts then it'll try to burn your house down. Since you're in soldering mode anyways, might as well do it.

2 weeks later
#608 7 years ago

Funny you ask... I constructed a pair of jumpers, mounted the pair of fuse holders, and when I went to try and pull the wires from the bridge rectifiers I found that they were SOLDERED! I stopped there and am considering whether I leave them, chop the rectifiers out and install new ones with re-terminated wires, or cut the factory wires and terminate onto the fuse holders.

No, thats completely normal. You can just splice the fuse holder inline, using the existing soldered-on wire to the bridge rectifier. Sometimes they soldered them on, sometimes it was lug connectors, sometimes it was soldered-on lug connectors. Just get it done however you must. I've seen photos and heard the stories of the games that don't have this done and its NOT GOOD.

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I'm kinda kicking myself for not painting the white but it will work just fine.

Thats just making an old game new while maintaining its petina. Looks fantastic!

3 weeks later
#615 7 years ago
Quoted from goohst8:

Hello all, I'm just starting the restoration process on my Black Knight and have a couple of questions regarding LEDs.
1. Is there a difference between the LED kits sold on marco and cointaker? Is one preferred over the other by BK owners?
2. My gaslight displays still work, but I need to replace the high voltage capacitors to get them working correctly. Is it worth the effort to repair the board or would I be better off upgrading to LED displays and bypassing the HV portion of the board?
Thank you in advance for your input.

1. LEDs really come down to personal taste, so thinking EITHER of those pre-picked kits could get you a look you're happy with for years to come would be an impossibility. A sampler pack of LEDs (usually around $15-$30 from any LED supplier) would be a good way to do your color and style selections. There are plenty of LED suppliers and parts companies that offer a great product like Comet LED, Nifty LED, PinballLife... all bulbs are not created equal.

2. If you like the classic look of the original then no better reason to try and restore the HV section. Upgrading to LED isn't a necessity if your original displays have life in them. Great Plains Electronics and Big Daddy Enterprises both offer rebuild kits for that section.

1 month later
#627 7 years ago

Yes, I did for about a week. It just came down to being an annoying work-around for the difficulty. You must go through the horseshoe to light the lock. Normally, a qualify-lock shot would be a welcome addition but this one doesn't feel right. So, you end up starting at the top, coming back down, then must make the horseshoe and go back up to lock the first ball.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think that's great. It always seems like a shame for a multilevel game where you always want to be on one level. For me having to go down to light locks isn't enough, I'd like even more reason to go down there personally, but sadly besides from the horseshoe both playfields serve almost the same purpose

Yes, I understand that. My personal game starts gameplay on the lower level, but thats a bit of an extreme mod just to mix up the gameplay. ADJ#37 just never seemed like a satisfying offset to make the game harder. Locking the lower ball first or something may feel like a better compromise, or knocking down the lower drop targets before lighting lock... something with a bit more reward for the risk.

3 weeks later
#634 7 years ago
Quoted from NightOwl:

Looks like you have room for another machine.

Thats at the old house while we had it on the market... it was an entire game room filled end to end with games and wall decor, mirror ball, posters, and on and on. Had to take it all down to "open it up" for people looking to buy. Got the games set up downstairs in the new house but its a shared gameroom/family room" area for the kids to watch TV and play console games. Soooooo..... haven't gotten crazy with wall art and whatnot.

2 months later
#643 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi guys
has anyone replaced their leaf trough switches with micro switches?
Someone has replaced mine with microswitches but haven't mounted them properly so they are flakey.
Anyone supply a correct part number for the microswitch and send a pic of how they are mounted.
Thanks in advance
Clive

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/310/bkmicroswitchkit.pdf I have yet to retrofit mine. I need to if I take it back to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown again this year because that upper trough was the main culprit of the weekend.

2 months later
#685 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hate to make make my joined the BK club a support request but pinball can be a mystery sometimes. I recently picked up a Very nice BK that I have wanted for years! Has a New Rottendog MPU and the game plays and functions perfectly. However.... none of the displays work. I picked up a new LED set thinking they were shot and the upgrade would give it a new life. Unfortunately new displays and card installed the result is the same. Just a few random numbers lit (like before) and nothing else? I could Really use some help. My Guess is there are issues with the power supply board but guessing also got me a new set of LED displays! lol. Any help on this would Really be appreciated. I am stuck and playing this awesome game without a score display minimizes the challenge. Thank you for Any assistance. I am rather good with a soldering iron, not so great at hunting blind.

Have you thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly checked the orientation of ALL ribbon cables?

3 weeks later
#719 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

NEW Custom Black Knight Illuminated MOD replacement ramps
Show your beloved Black Knight the love he (or she?) deserves! Are your 37 year old ramps dented and showing their age? New from The Mod Couple we offer you this complete plug and play Illuminated Custom ramp set to make your Black Knight Shine!! Simple install, you don’t even have to raise the playfield! (Maybe 15 minutes?) Precision cut from the same stainless steel and hardness as original with a Custom highly detailed theme art cut to accent each piece. Each ramp has an illumination filter as shown with LED back lighting. Light grain finish applied though you could polish them too a shine if you wished. As seen in photo, it does a great job of adding some much needed light to that area while also giving it a Truly custom look!! Everything is included in the kit!! Plug and play LED setup, Both left and right ramps Pre-formed to original shape, and a bottom adhesive shim to ensure level installation. Completely Reversible granted I’m not sure Why you would remove it? Does Not effect ball roll or play. Light up the Knight with this personalized kit. Ramps are in stock now and ready to ship. Feel free to PM me any questions or inquire about purchase. Complete kit is $135 plus 6.95 priority shipping. Thank you for viewing our New Product!!
The Mod Couple
Dave and Darcy

Very cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1,059.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vintageclub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=vintageclub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.