• 3,199 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#853 6 years ago

Hey everybody!
I've been given the task of restoring a BK for a friend, and it looks to be quite a project. I've done some pf restoration in the past, so that's not terrifying to me, but the first thing I noticed on this game is that most of the inserts have sunken badly. So, that's a ton of work right there...I was hoping there would be an insert kit available but haven't been able to turn anything up. Are there resources out there for this?

1 month later
#897 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

What do you folks think? I've just shifted the knight up/down in each of the images. Just keep in mind that the bottom section is covered and below the playfield.

Those look great! I'd say the one where the graphic is up highest looks best to my eye. Share the file?

#898 6 years ago

Oh holy CRAP, I was just replying to your initial post of the knight head. Those "triptych" ones are KILLER.

3 weeks later
#920 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

If someone gets a set printed and installed, I'd love to see some pictures posted!

The BK I have currently is for a friend; I tried to talk him into going with a hardtop, but instead he opted to track down a CPR. New plastics, even! I'm gonna do the pf swap for him, and am *definitely* going to use your drop target decals.

It might be a while before I get to it, as I'm currently in the midst of restoring my F-14 and can only handle having one project going on at a time. But once I get in to it I will thoroughly document the process.

#922 6 years ago

I don't know what he paid for the CPR but I'm willing to bet it was at least $1K. If it were me I'd absolutely have gone with a hardtop, they are clearly a far better option than those gross full playfield decals. Nice thing about the CPR, though, is I can take my time with trying to do a playfield restoration on what is there (not nearly so beat as a lot of other BKs I've seen). This guy just went with CPR as it would have been a comparable amount of labor to do a full restoration as doing a playfield swap.
Hardtops are a great looking product! I love that there's a relatively economical way to salvage old games that would otherwise have been considered goners.

5 months later
#1184 5 years ago

Cabinet switch question...the game i'm working on has no capacitors on the cabinet switches. Were those introduced when flipper coils went to 50V? Is it a good idea to add capacitors anyway, and if so, which ones?

2 months later
#1456 5 years ago

So, I'm coming to the end of a BK playfield swap, and have done all the things you're supposed to do but have no power to the right flippers. I can't figure it out and it's making me nuts!

There's current going to the switches, there's equal voltage to all 4 coils, I've got good continuity from the cabinet switches to the coils. The right flippers *initially worked*, but quickly died completely. I don't have the wiring reversed (Upper right - BLUE to banded side of diode, BLK/YEL to non-banded. Lower right - BLUE to banded side, BLU/VIO to non-banded), and the flipper fuse in the backbox is fine, as are the fuses under the playfield (checked continuity through the fuse holder to be sure the old holders were getting good contact. They are.)

The boards are new. I have also done a continuity check from the power lug back to the driver board, and from the ground lug at the cabinet switch back to the board, just to be sure there wasn't a problem with the connectors themselves. Also have continuity in those places.

I am completely stumped. It's probably something dead simple staring me in the face, but I've checked through all the things I can think to. Very strange problem. Help?

#1458 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Neither of the right flippers work?
Mash the cabinet flipper switch together or short the leafs with a wire to rule out the flipper switches.

Neither. They seemed fine for a few flips (I just plugged in the playfield to the cabinet for the first time since the swap last night, but the playfield is still on the rotisserie). Then *poof*, they just completely died.
The switches are brand new and I've checked the soldering on them (solid), and the wires are on the correct lugs. I got continuity when checking connections to the board as well, but I suppose in theory if the connectors at the boards aren't making good contact I could try replacing them. It feels like I'm chasing my tail at this point, though.

#1460 5 years ago

I powered upnthe game today, and all of a sudden both sides are flipping just fine.
Weird. I assume it won't last.

I need to test resistance along the wiring, but this makes me think there's a damaged wire. When I first took the game in, the RH flippers weren't working, but the game was such a wreck I figured it just needed new boards and rebuilt flippers. Interesting to note, only one flipper had been rebuilt (badly) - the lower right hand one. Which makes me think somebody tried a rebuild and then that didn't work and then they lost interest in the game.

My hypothesis is that the connectors between the upper and lower playfield put stress on the wire which may have broken internally, leading to flakey behavior. Either that or it's a cold solder joint at the coil lugs. If it's the former, I guess I'll be cutting through the zip ties and running a new wire to the coil.

#1461 5 years ago

OK, so, RH flippers still seem to be working, cool, and I've got the whole game re-assembled. But...now the stupid game will not start.

3 balls in trough. No stuck switches. Coin door closed. All switches working in switch test. Setting #18 set to 0. Game goes into test mode just fine. Boards are brand new. There shouldn't be a problem here.

WTF??

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Batteries installed? Or battery/chip back up failing?

Brand new Shwimmer board. Unless it's defective, this should not be a problem.

Quoted from frunch:

Have you verified that the credit button (aka start button) is working in switch test?

Yep. Shouldn't me a matrix issue, as I have gone through and adjusted all the switches and verified that they are all registering in switch test mode. I always run the tests before putting the playfield into the cabinet.

It's driving me bonkers, as it's got to be something dead simple and stupid that is staring me in the face.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

What was the cause?

I *still don't know*, and am expecting the flippers to stop working again at any moment.
Just shooting the ball around, the flippers don't have enough power to get the ball all the way up the spinner ramp. I ordered replacement flipper assemblies from Pinball Life; the coils in there now are SFL 19-400/30-750. They're all dialed in nicely as far as EOS adjustment and the solder joints are good - should there be a more powerful coil in there?

#1468 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Rebuilt flippers with those coils will work just fine. I upgraded my assemblies per Vid's recommendations.

Yep, I did the same. But for some reason, they are underpowered. Can barely make it up the right hand ramp, and can't make it around the spinner ramp at all. Somehow they aren't getting full power.

How are the flippers working if the game doesn't start. Are you doing this in test mode only?

Yes, just trying them out while in switch test, since the flippers have power during the test.

If the balls are in the trough, switches 17,18, 19 should show closed on the switch test. You said you tested all the switches, but make sure the balls activate these three switches if you haven't already. Alternatively you can use switches 33, 34 & 17 to simulate balls in the upper trough.

All the switches are working, nothing stuck, tested them all with a ball. Have 3 balls in the trough.

I'm assuming you tested the solenoids to make sure the kicker is working. And there is no change to the displays or sound when you press the button, right?

Yes - all solenoids work. But press "start" and nothing happens.

If you've done all that, then my only advice would be to turn off free play (#18) then add credits and see if that works. I'm not familiar with that board, so not sure if there is a bug or anything.

It is showing 60 credits on the game, for some reason. I can manually hit the switch and add more - just did, now it's 61.
But when I go into the settings and go to #18, which shows zero in the player one display, I can't change it because...the start button isn't working. Same if you try to change setting anywhere else, like 3 ball vs. 5 ball. Nothing from the start button.
I reiterate, the button functions when I'm in switch test mode, I get the sound same as the rest of the switches.

This is making me crazy.

#1471 5 years ago

Is this a multi game board or BK only? If it’s multi you could set it to another system 7 game and see if it starts.
Could this be a power board problem or something?

The power board is Rottendog and lists off all the games it is compatible with, so that's not really relevant. The CPU/Drivers are Schwimmer and unless I'm missing something it simply depends on what ROMS you have installed.

Quoted from zacaj:

But the start button registers in switch test?

Yep. How's that for maddening?

Quoted from zacaj:

There aren't any stronger 25V coils available. They should have no trouble with that ramp though. Even before rebuilding mine, with the game at 7 degrees, I could make it up the ramps most of the time.

Initially I had *no power at all* to the RH flippers. Was puzzled by this, then, magically, they started working again. I've checked all solder points and they're good, nothing loose. They have continued to work, but they are clearly not getting full power.

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Check connector 2J12 1 & 2 for overheating & pins 1 & 2 on driver board. Flipper current passes through here. My BK had problems here.

I've surmised that the problems I'm having are most likely the connections to the board.
If you're observant, your game will tell you its history...the righthand flippers had been "rebuilt" (meaning they messily swapped in new parts, but the flippers weren't set up or adjusted very well), which leads me to believe a previous owner with a little knowledge but not much technical finesse was trying to address their flipper power issue by rebuilding. (A defensible first course of action - though every old game needs the flippers rebuilt no matter what, so...) Anyhow, now that the boards have been replaced and the flipper assemblies are also brand new including cabinet switches, the only remaining original parts in that circuit are the wiring and the board connectors.
So far in my pinball maintenance/restoration, I've just been lucky or inherited nice board work from a previous owner. But those IDC connectors are an obvious failure point, especially on a 38 year old game which was stored in a wet environment. I've ordered new connectors and pins from GPE, and am planning to pin all the wires and change out all connections. I'll report back on the result next week!

1 week later
#1492 5 years ago
Quoted from jag1:

5 mos (took me 3 mos to send the boards in) and $370 lighter in my pocket, my BK is purring like a kitten. Sent my boards into Clive at Coin-Op, and he sent them back with a laundry list of repairs. Thans to Black_Knight, Schwaggs, and others for the trouble shooting tips. I highly recommend Coin-Op for board repairs! My kids and I are loving playing our BK.

Clive RULES. So often I see people struggling over board issues, and god love 'em, if they get something out of that process. But I have sent boards to Clive on several occasions and his thoroughness is without peer. Old boards need rebuilding by somebody who is solid on it. I send people his way all the time!

#1493 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I've got to work into my schedule today, going down to pick up my BK board from Allan at Ardvark Pinball in Massachusetts.

Allan is also great! (Says another Pinsider from MA). And he is very generous with his knowledge. Allan has walked me through problems over the phone more than once. And he diagnoses board issues for free all weekend at Pintastic New England!

#1494 5 years ago

Following up on my previous posts:

OK, this BK is now fully operational!
Flippers: everything works now that I have replaced the IDC connector with pinned connectors. Vid's right; everybody should plan to do this on games of this vintage.

Weird switch issue: this is bizarre. Somebody tinkered with some wiring somewhere along the line, and I had wiring going to the wrong place. Swapped out the wires and voila, everything is fine now.

Will post some photos soon. If anybody reading this is able to visit western MA, the game will soon be available to play at Mystic Pinball in Turners Falls, MA. (Currently available to play at my shop, 7 minutes away in Greenfield MA). It's pretty sweet; freshly clear coated CPR playfield, everything cleaned and adjusted nicely. I haven't played a functional BK since I was 10 years old, so this is really satisfying.

Thanks to all those who chimed in to help me out. I definitely learned some new stuff working on this machine!

1 week later
#1500 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I the meantime I installed nvram.weebly's Special Solenoid Saver.

Ooh, didn't know about that...saves the transistors, does it?

Quoted from epeabs:

But it would not start a game. In switch test there were no stuck switches. I continued to play with the trough switches which seemed troublesome before. I had a couple of the ball trough switches that were intermittent.

Did you replace the IDC connectors at the switch row and column connectors to the board? I had issues with some switches not registering after I had tested them all and found them working, then realized those connections to the board weren't making consistent contact. I had been reluctant to do those over because the IDC's have a number of "pass-through" contacts, but Allan advised me to go ahead and crimp 2 wires into one Trifurcon, just do both crimps on the wire and don't worry about crimping the insulation. Works just great.

#1501 5 years ago

Question: When the ball comes tearing down the righthand ramp, and you have to stop it with the RH flipper, do you find that the flipper "gives" a little? It doesn't seem like it should, but I'm new to these 28V flippers so maybe that is normal with really high speed impact?

2 months later
#1641 5 years ago

Hey, just realized I never followed up on my flipper power issue back a while ago...the game I was working on had tons of corrosion at the IDC connectors, so I replaced them all, which eliminated some of the problem. But, the *lower* flippers still felt sluggish. The problem area turned out to be on the pins of the block connector between the upper and lower play fields.

There's no good way to replace both the male and female pins, short of replacing the whole connector plug and every pin. The guy I was doing the work for didn't want to get into all that unless it was really necessary, so we took a small file to the pins and wiped them clean with alcohol, rinse, repeat, like that. It worked! Game plays solidly now.

So, if you have any issues with your BK, don't make the mistake I did and fail to consider those playfield connectors! Major potential failure point!

1 week later
#1663 5 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

I'd love a "mint" play field. But realistically I wanna play the game not collect dust because of afraid of wearing it. My playfield is not terrible. So if I can slow down the wear to the point I wont need to hardcap any time soon it I'm ok with that.

Another avenue to consider is getting your playfield clear coated. This depends on your being able to find someone who will do it, but a woodworking shop or auto body shop - any place with a spray booth - would probably be willing to help you out.

It isn't a whole lot more work than what's involved in installing a playfield protector, and you get the advantage of a playfield where the art has been locked down (no flaking paint, for example, especially if your playfield has any planking), and if you ever want to restore the playfield, you've got step one taken care of and can play the game without deteriorating it further.

I have a playfield protector on my Diner because I was curious to try it out, and it really does play nicely. They seem to take a while to "break in", I think because of a residue from the film you have to peel off. I keep mine waxed; many people would debate me on it, but it definitely makes a difference in terms of speed - but the downside of the protectors is any dirt or hair (or stray wax) that gets under the protector is there to stay until you depopulate the playfield again and pull up the protector to clean. So, to my mind, shooting the playfield with clear is a tidier solution, but you have to be able to spray the clear safely.

From the "too much information" file...

#1666 5 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

But for a player the time vs reward not there.

Nothing wrong with that...I like going for full restoration, but my *VERY* player's condition PinBot is as much fun to play as my totally restored F-14. People who visit are always surprised by that!
"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts" and all that...

1 week later
#1699 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

I have it but the mpu and driver are battery corroded . Needs a new cabinet . Sat in a barn for quite some time . I’ve been looking for a donor cab but no luck .

Local cabinet maker? I could build you one but I'm in Massachusetts.

1 month later
#1757 5 years ago

The value of BK lies in how much we enjoy playing it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=sethbenjamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.