• 3,201 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#297 9 years ago

I've got a BK that I had all intents to restore, but alas, my business has kept me too busy and it's time to let it go. I have no idea how to value it as it is all in pieces (how I received it to begin with).

Details:

New CPR Playfields
New CPR Plastic set missing one plastic but have the old one
Two working board sets
Refinished cabinet with new back and luan bottom. Average stencil job on cabinet, head needs redone
New Mayfair mirrored Backglass
All the metal parts, side rails, coin door, powdercoated gray sparkle

All the parts are accounted for as far as I can tell, just needs a complete reassembly. The previous owner started populating the playfield, but I would probably start it over myself and clean up the wiring harness a bit.

I hate to part it out and I know I'd get more money if I did, but I'm hoping a BK lover wants to restore it back. Any idea as to what would be a fair price for something like this?

I don't want to ship...any locals feel free to PM me if interested.

3 weeks later
#333 9 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

I'm the fella who bought this project from robertmee. I felt the price was a fair one. Robert seems like a really cool guy. He did a great job on the bottom luan replacement. The cabinet art is like he says, "average". So far I have the back box back in Virginia where my paint equiptment is. I'm going to repaint it, then the bottom cabinet. My wife is going to paint the side art. Robert did give me the stencils but I may have a better way. If someone here could please post high res pics of the sidearts and art around the coin door that would be much appreciated. Please make the pics as straight on without and angle as possible. I can print the pics and my wife can hand paint this. I've seen her do it before, not on a pin, and it looks amazing. It helps being married to an art major. I have nice hvlp equiptment. Should I clear coat the back box and cabinet? I can't wait to post the results!
Anways, It appears all the parts are here. Once I get into putting it all together I will know for sure. The play fields are amazing. Great job CPR. I'll be pulling parts from them and polishing. Anyone know a good technique for cleaning the wires? The legs, side rails and coin door are very pretty. He had them powder coated a metallic dark gray. The repro back glass is awesome however the original don't look bad either.
I plan to go back with full led's. I've read so much about these games having heat and wiring issues from the gi pulling so much amperage. Robertmee, if you are reading this, after I'm done you're welcome to come by and bash this thing.

Awesome....can't wait to see it, although I'll probably want to buy it back!

5 months later
#406 8 years ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

My left kicker coil is stuck when it's connected to the driver board.
When I remove the board connector it stops so I'm pretty sure that it's a play field issue.
I'm not sure where to start looking. Has anyone had this problem?

Why would you think that? If you remove the 'board' connector and the problem goes away wouldn't that lead you to believe the board is the problem? I'd be looking at Q1 (predriver) or Q2 (power) transistors which drive solenoid 17 the left kicker. That's assuming that the connector you are removing is 2J12.

#409 8 years ago

Yes, the pre-drivers often go bad....Test Q1. Don't shotgun your board and replace parts without testing them. Everytime you heat your board with an iron you are stressing the traces, solder pads, etc. There are guides in pinwiki and Clay's guides on how to test these transistors.

As a systematic approach, tho, if you remove 2J12 from the driver board (please confirm that this is the connector you are removing) and the sling coil releases, then the ground signal to the coil is coming from the board via 2J12. if the coil doesn't release, then the ground signal is somewhere in the playfield.

If you remove 2J12 and it releases, then the pin associated with sol17 is getting ground from the board. The two most common causes are shorted Q1 and Q2. if those checkout, make sure no traces on the board in that area are shorting out and look clean.

If all that checks out, then you can check the resistors around Q1 and Q2. R7, R8 and R9 I believe. The good news, is that the left kicker is a 'special' solenoid so I don't believe any 'logic' is involved in firing it....just the switch from the PF. So the last order of business is to make sure the left kicker switch isn't shorted. That switch comes in on 2J13, so try removing 2J13. If the coil releases, then the switch is shorted, likely in the PF. These switches don't have diodes but Cap/Resistor in parallel with the switch so make sure those aren't shorted.

This may be where you got confused on what you read...removing 2J13 would help diagnose whether it's a PF problem...but 2J12 does not. That's why I'm asking to confirm which connector you are indeed removing.

#410 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I've got no 28v for solenoids, I'm guessing this may be the problem, I wanted to be sure with you guys...
This was done by the previous owner, and it "worked" when I picked it up, lol
I've got a new power supply, so no issues there, no blown fuses

28VDC comes off the rectifier BR2 shown behind your hand in your picture. That rectifier has AC or ~ markings, and +,- markings. With your meter on VAC, put the leads on the two terminals marked AC or ~. Do you have AC? Should have roughly 25VAC. If so, then put meter on VDC and put leads on + and -. Do you have 28VDC? If so after the rectifier it goes through some connectors and fuse F2. If you have a good 28VDC at the rectifier, start measuring with your meter along the way to see where you lose it.

#413 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thank you. The vac is 29 volts, the vdc is 43 volts
I measured the rectifier on the left in the picture, I suppose this is BR2. The orange wire coming from it is disconnected from the harness that goes to the power board.
Am I ok to proceed in re connecting the wire to the harness? Or should I replace the rectifier?

Yes, BR2 unloaded will read ~ 40VDC, so rectifier is good. I would reconnect the wire....just make sure it is reconnected to the correct pins on the harness. Follow the schematic when in doubt on IPDB.org...It's a crappy copy, but you can blow it up a bit to read the pin out connections.

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

I replaced Q2, I agree I should have tested it first before replacing. I tested Q1 and found that it is really bad, went to radio shack bought a new one. I hope that is the end of this so I can play some pinball. Thank you again for your help.

NP...hopefully that fixes your issue.

#418 8 years ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

Q1 and Q2 replaced. The coil is still locked up.

Did you pull the switch connector to make sure it's not a shorted switch?

#422 8 years ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

No. I'm new at this and not sure what that is but I have schematics. How does that work?

As explained a few posts above;

"If all that checks out, then you can check the resistors around Q1 and Q2. R7, R8 and R9 I believe. The good news, is that the left kicker is a 'special' solenoid so I don't believe any 'logic' is involved in firing it....just the switch from the PF. So the last order of business is to make sure the left kicker switch isn't shorted. That switch comes in on 2J13, so try removing 2J13. If the coil releases, then the switch is shorted, likely in the PF. These switches don't have diodes but Cap/Resistor in parallel with the switch so make sure those aren't shorted."

So, do this, step by step and report back. Use your schematics to verify the connectors:

1) With game off, pull connector 2J12 on driver board. If you look at your schematics you'll see that this connector has the ground from the driver board that goes to the left kicker coil.

2) Turn game on, let boot and start a game. Don't worry if things don't 'work' as this connector you've pulled controls multiple coils. Coil should remain off. If it doesn't then you have a short in the PF for that coil.

3) Push connector 2J12 back on. Be careful while working in the back box with game live as there are voltages in there that will hurt you. The connector 2J12 are grounds to the coils. If you push connector 2J12 on, and the coil turns on, pull the connector back off. Report results.

4) With connector 2J12 off, pull connector 2J13 on driver board. This connector has the switches from the playfield that control the special solenoids. Once pulled, reconnect 2J12. Does the coil turn on again or remain off? Report results.

If the coil turns on in step 3 but not in step 4 then the switch from the left kicker is shorted somewhere. If the coil turns on in both steps 3 and 4 then you likely still have a board issue. Report back.

Caveat: If you are uncomfortable working in the head with the power on, you can turn the game off in between each step and back on, and restart a game.

Based on the fact you state the game worked before you transported it, my guess is a shorted PF switch that got jostled...and maybe a loose wire shorted from the switch. Boards don't usually suddenly go bad from a move, unless coincidentally it was just its time.

#426 8 years ago

Yes I knew the pf side for the coil was correct...what I had you checking was the pf side of the switch that drives that coil to see if the switch was being seen as always on. So it would appear that by the results of step 4 the board is always sending ground. You can follow the schematics and see where the switch drives the predriver q1 which turns on q2 Through some pull up resistors...using a meter you can try checking each component on the board for function and continuity...use the q3 q4 pair next to it as a comparison. Or send the board to Chris hibler who has the quickest turn around time and let him fix it.

#432 8 years ago

That lower right side is pretty crispy...Looks like it affected a couple of ICs too that control the lamp blanking. The upper left hack with the red wire is from the Quad Nor gate IC...it's taking the ouput of the Nor Gate to it looks like something in the Left kicker transistor area but I can't tell what. My guess, is that transistor locked on in the past and burnt up the trace from the NOR gate and that was a jump around. You might test IC9 if you have a logic probe...it could be bad and causing your problem. You can compare pins 1, 4, 10 and 13 with 2J13 disconnected, and see if the signals are the same. These signals drive the pre-driver which turns on the driver transistors...pin 1 is for the Q1 pre-driver.

If pin 1 tests different than 4, 10 and 13, check pins 2,3 and 5,6 and 11,12 and 8,9. See if there is any deviation in the pairs. If so, then IC6 could be bad. If all the pairs check the same but pin 1 tests different then it's definitely IC9.

But I'd be really suspect of that red jumper. It's part of the left kicker circuit.

PS: If you don't have a logic probe, you can use a meter on VDC...you'll see low signals (~0V) and high signals (~5V). However, one half of each pair of pins on IC9 are coming from IC6 which is derived from a strobed signal that transitions from high/low rapidly and so your meter value on those pins will jump around.

Incidentally, the BK schematics on IPDB are missing this page for the specials. I had to use Jungle Lord manual here: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1338/Williams_1981_Jungle_Lord_Manual.pdf page 22

3 weeks later
#463 8 years ago

Are your batteries any good? Sounds like you're not getting 4.5v to the ram chips and losing memory.

Check batteries first...then battery holder for corrosion. Then check for 4.5v with game off at the ram chips...use schematic or follow traces

#466 8 years ago
Quoted from Razor:

5101 might be faulty too.

Yes...that's the next step if you confirm 4.5v at them

#468 8 years ago

All stop working or just one?

If all there is a relay Z1 that allows ground to the flipper buttons...take note of this relays state when flippers are working...it should be closed. When not working gonna bet it's open. There is some circuitry that controls this relay for game over/boot mode. One of those components is failing likely under heat. Get some cold spray and when it fails try spraying the ics associated with that relay.

From clays guide:
Test the 2N4401 transistor Q13 (positioned right next to the relay) with the testing procedures described in the Transistor Testing section of this guide. Also the 7402 chip at IC8, which drives transistor Q13 could be bad. There have even been reports of resistors R27 (4.7k 1/4 watt) and R26 (10k 1/4 watt) being bad, in addition to diode D1 (1N4001). Lastly test the flipper relay itself, as the relay does go bad (the driver board will need to be removed to do this). A 9 volt battery can be used on the relay's coil lugs (the two isolated lugs from the other 12). Use the battery and check if the relay actually pulls its armature in and out (it should click nicely). If a replacement relay is needed, this relay is a 4PDT (4 pole double throw), 40 ohm, 6 volt relay, and a suitable replacement can be found at Mouser.com, part #528-7810-1 (MagneCraft #W78CSX-1, $5.50).

2 months later
#498 8 years ago

That's crazy money for a CPR PF....I just sold a BK with uninstalled CPR PF's, a new Mayfair BG, two board sets and a CPR plastic set for less than what they are asking for the PF alone.

1 year later
#596 7 years ago

Black knight spanned system 6 and 7....I know they used both power supplies and transformers in the head vs the cab. Don't know if the driver board or speech changed tho.

2 years later
#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Funnybonz:

Hey Guys just bought a BK earlier this week. It all works, however the flippers seem like they need to be rebuilt, and the rubbers replaced.Also should I replace the flipper soleinoids? As far as setting the machine up for play what is the best pitch? My RCT has a level and easy to set up with that, however looking through the manual of BK, I dont see anything. Also what do you guys recommend cleaning and redoing the playfield with? I always loved pins as a kid, just recently got into buying them for personal gameroom. This is my 2nd pin, and possibly a Hurricane this weekend. Thanks!

Vid's guide is great...in general, coils rarely need replacing unless they appear burnt. There is nothing in them to wear out, other than the insulation on the windings, and that leads to shorted windings, less impedance and burnt coil. Replace the end stops, flipper bushings (important and most often overlooked), coil sleeves and adjust the EOS and you'll be good to go. You can replace the prawl if it has alot of slop, but I've rarely seen the need.

#1738 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never seen a prawl that didn't need replacement. That and the plunger have the biggest effect on flipper strength. Coil stops don't affect strength and can't be replaced on BK anyway

Thanks for the correction....didn't realize that specifically on BK about the coil stops.

I've had a ton of games over 20 years, and only replaced a few prawls. Just not my experience. And yes to the plunger mushrooming....forgot about that one.

1 month later
#1791 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

so there is no connector I can buy for J8?

Re-pin your own: https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-crimp-stuff-connectors-and-parts.html

You'd need a 9 pin connector, 1 blank pin, 8 molex pins and a crimper.

You could use IDC connectors also, but I'd prefer Molex. https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-156-idc-connectors-and-parts.html

Be aware, most of the IDC you find nowadays are for 22awg wire. Not sure what J8 feeds, but if it's 18 awg power feeds, you'll need the correct IDC for 18 awg.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=robertmee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.