• Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_063905 (resized).jpg
20240423_060943 (resized).jpg
20240422_060912 (resized).jpg
Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtkst19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1654 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanx, guys. Very helpful and I was able to get the upper playfield up enough to get at the turnaround. Playfield protector is in, and I'm quite pleased. I put it mainly to overcome the multitude of cupped inserts and it sure did...balls roll much truer now, no bizarre change of directions. I needed to make a few mods/shims to keep the balls from hopping when hitting the ramps, but all in all this is a great improvement. I can post some before and after pictures if anyone is interested....it looks like my semi-decent playfield has been clear coated.
I'm encouraged enough now that I'll probably do my Eight Ball Deluxe tonight as well. That should be much easier/simpler than BK.

What protector did you use? Have had my bk for 30 yrs. So it has some wear. Dont want to overlay it until needed. A protector may be an option for me.

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I used the one from these guys:
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/a--hn8cHiUai1PzL150V-g?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Black%20Knight%20%7C%201980
They're in Germany, but they ship FAST. I ordered it over their holiday shutdown (they posted they were closed for a couple of weeks and would resume shipping on 09JAN). Mine shipped from Germany on 10JAN and it was at my door 15JAN.

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. The protector is just a clear non sticky plastic that is held in place from the various playfield items/posts correct? Not like a mylar that sticks to surface.

I'd love a "mint" play field. But realistically I wanna play the game not collect dust because of afraid of wearing it. My playfield is not terrible. So if I can slow down the wear to the point I wont need to hardcap any time soon it I'm ok with that.

#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Another avenue to consider is getting your playfield clear coated. This depends on your being able to find someone who will do it, but a woodworking shop or auto body shop - any place with a spray booth - would probably be willing to help you out.
It isn't a whole lot more work than what's involved in installing a playfield protector, and you get the advantage of a playfield where the art has been locked down (no flaking paint, for example, especially if your playfield has any planking), and if you ever want to restore the playfield, you've got step one taken care of and can play the game without deteriorating it further.
I have a playfield protector on my Diner because I was curious to try it out, and it really does play nicely. They seem to take a while to "break in", I think because of a residue from the film you have to peel off. I keep mine waxed; many people would debate me on it, but it definitely makes a difference in terms of speed - but the downside of the protectors is any dirt or hair (or stray wax) that gets under the protector is there to stay until you depopulate the playfield again and pull up the protector to clean. So, to my mind, shooting the playfield with clear is a tidier solution, but you have to be able to spray the clear safely.
From the "too much information" file...

Only issue I have with clearing is the time. If the field was mint yes I'd do this.

But for a player the time vs reward not there.

#1667 5 years ago

I'm way to anal to start doing restos. I work on euro cars for a living. Last shop I worked for was a high end exotic car place. OCD and attention to detail is good for what I do for a living.

Yet it's bad to my wallet when it comes to personal projects be it car/pinball/ house etc. The 50 more dollar syndrome kicks in. The 50 more dollar syndrome is basically while in there- what's 50 more bucks to do this or do that. Before you know it an easy fix turns into a full out money eating rebuild.

Dont get me wrong, it may happen to black knight at some point because of my sentimental attachment. It is my 1st pin. Got it when I was 8 yrs old for Christmas 30 yrs ago. Parents snagged it used from a local vending vompany off route for like 400 bucks or something like that. Even after my parents split and my mom and I had nothing- she kept the machine.

In the lean years we had no living room furniture and a tiny living room at that. the black knight was broken and used as the tv stand lol.

2 months later
#1794 5 years ago

Can you take a pic little further away to see everything? I literally just finished maybe 10 mins ago a complete led swap and fixed the roll over switch in back left corner that gives you the free ball after both bank targets are set. So this is fresh in my head.

Edit- that looks like the leaf switch was replace with a micro switch.

#1796 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi
yes the trough switches as well were modified but they used what appears to be cut lane guides or something as a switch mount and the plastic has become pliable.
Attached is a photo.
I just discovered this particular switch was changed as well but it still works so I will leave it until it becomes a problem.
Thank you[quoted image]

So the yellow wire is the one not hooked to any thing? I assume that switch is not working currently. On my machine the yellow is ground. They are tied to other switches like a daisy chain then pulled to ground point or are tapped into the thin braid ground circuit that is stapled through out the underside of the board.

When I was changing bulbs had a few that were soldered to the 1/4 hex bolt that screws bulb holders into playfield.

Before you solder it back down alligator clip jump it to test it.

Based on wire length I'd guess it was tied into the same color yellow wires seen at 5-6 o'clock in above pic. Solder joint probably cracked from either vibration or lifing playfield.

2 months later
#1956 4 years ago

Learned something new today. My machine is setup on 38- no locks carry over. That's how I have always played it. All local places that have a bk are set this way too. 3 ball game I'm at a 3.1 mill. See attached pic. And yes I'm in dire need of a back glass.

Havent gave the machine much love lately though as I drug home a cocktail machine to fix. To do so I rearranged existing machines. I now got 1 hell of a slope to the right that is driving me nuts. Gotta pull glass and level machine again.

20190420_171052 (resized).jpg20190420_171052 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#2095 4 years ago

just a heads up. a donor/basket case black knight is on fb market for $500. the kicker- it is a limited version.

in salem ohio

https://www.facebook.com/groups/430055717205352/permalink/1207841876093395/?sale_post_id=1207841876093395

6 months later
#2262 3 years ago

By any chance does someone have a schematic of the driver board? Save me from pulling board and testing path with meter it would be appreciated.

My jet bumper is not working on upper playfield. Coil fires in test mode. No switch errors. Continuity test switch at bumper and confirmed open/closed.

Pulled back glass disconnected special solenoid connector and can apply ground at pin and pop bumper works.

No blown fuses or warm to touch or melted transistors visible. Game plays fine otherwise.

#2264 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You mean, 2j13? if coil works in test mode and via grounding 2j13 then either the spoon switch isn't grounded or the connection from the spoon switch to 2j13 is broken somewhere

Correct- pulled 2j13 that runs flippers/jet bumper. Can ground pin and respective coil fires.

Did not check voltages at spoon switch. Just tested if switch was open/closing with multimeter while game was off. When I get home I'll sort through diagram.

#2266 3 years ago

Update to my pop bumper issue. Pin drag issue at power supply on connector 3j3 was my issue.

Game is back to 100%

2 years later
#2758 1 year ago

Can someone chime in please- I know I seen pics of an black knight that back glass was different as well as the apron. Wanna say back glass was in spanish? Was an export market game that another company made under liscense if I recall correctly.

Can someone post name or even better pics?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtkst19.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=mtkst19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.