• 3,199 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gogojohnnyquack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#533 8 years ago

Hello fellow BK fans. This is my second machine, replacing a Space Shuttle and joining a Johnny Mnemonic. I'm giving it a good cleaning and was replacing the drop target stickers tonight when I took a good look at the picture on the sticker - What is that red thing behind the Black Knight? My son says evil lizard dude. What do you think?

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

#535 8 years ago

I think you're right on the plume. I see it on the back glass and some other versions of the sticker. The original flyer shows these stickers printed as only red and black on a white background, so apparently mine haven't aged well.

5 months later
#551 7 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

Has anyone ever seen their displays cycle? I took a video of mine, and tried to upload it to show example, but the site will not allow it. The game plays perfect, display keeps correct score, all the digits work, and are bright. But whenever it is on, all the displays cycle each digit from left to right. Even when I am in the diagnostic edit mode it does it! It almost seems like it is stuck in some sort of an attract mode to me. I have looked through the book for display settings, but could not find any options. Maybe it is a dip-switch setting? I am not sure, but need some help.

This apparent cycling in the video is normal and is a result of the camera's movie frame rate interacting with the refresh rate of the scoring displays. There is no setting in the Black Knight to fix it since it is native to how the displays work. If you dig around you may be able to find the correct setting for your camera to sync with the displays but I don't know what those settings would be.

1 month later
#573 7 years ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

Here's some gameplay of my Black Knight. Just got it finished before taking it to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown 2016. » YouTube video

Nice BK! What is that hanging ball over the left MagnaSave? And what is the ball track across the playfield?

1 month later
#590 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Yes there is a piece of metal you can put between the posts and the plate that keeps the ball from hitting. I made one out of a piece of stainless kick plate that goes on the bottom of a door. You could just use any thin metal and trim the same shape as the plastic. It also helps the ball from popping out when hit hard and there are no other balls in the trough. I can post a picture tonight if you need. Better than that, I will make you one if you want.

Any thoughts on using a piece of Lexan or some other clear solution for this so that the plastic could be lit like the rest of the playfield plastics? I have the metal plate but it blacks out the majority of the pretty plastic.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

There is a bulb behind the u-turn on the left but the rail blocks all the light. I think it would be hard to light that area because the ball would hit the bulb or get in the way. I guess you could use thin lexan and install another bulb socket and make it work with one of the "stalk" led's somehow.

I may give this a try but first I've got to work through a drop target reset solenoid that's stuck on. Hopefully replacing the driver transistors does it.

I just installed Comet Sunlight LEDs in the GI and color matches for the inserts. Wow, it really lights up! And the sunlight LEDs give it a natural color that brightens everything.

2 weeks later
#593 7 years ago

Good morning fellow BKers. My Black Knight was left on overnight and now this morning the solenoids are not doing anything and the Black Knight is skipping words in his phrases. I'm sure that I can figure out the solenoid issue but does anyone have an idea of what might be happening with the speech?

#597 7 years ago

Thank you for the info everyone! I will dig into it more this weekend and report back...

2 weeks later
#601 7 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Good morning fellow BKers. My Black Knight was left on overnight and now this morning the solenoids are not doing anything and the Black Knight is skipping words in his phrases. I'm sure that I can figure out the solenoid issue but does anyone have an idea of what might be happening with the speech?

Black Knight is back! The ball-release solenoid in the trough was intermittently working. I found it's trigger wire on switch row connector 2J3 and punched it down good. This must have been the final straw in the Q15 driver transistor's battle to stay alive and it shorted, heating up the solenoid and taking it out. I ordered and installed a new solenoid, replaced Q15 and Q14 transistors, and now all is better!

I don't know how this ended up related to the sounds but all of the sounds are back to normal as well.

Thank you everyone for your input on this.

2 weeks later
#607 7 years ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

Did you do the fuse mod on the bridge rectifiers? Its not related to your issue at all, but if one of them shorts then it'll try to burn your house down. Since you're in soldering mode anyways, might as well do it.

Funny you ask... I constructed a pair of jumpers, mounted the pair of fuse holders, and when I went to try and pull the wires from the bridge rectifiers I found that they were SOLDERED! I stopped there and am considering whether I leave them, chop the rectifiers out and install new ones with re-terminated wires, or cut the factory wires and terminate onto the fuse holders.

#611 7 years ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

No, thats completely normal. You can just splice the fuse holder inline, using the existing soldered-on wire to the bridge rectifier. Sometimes they soldered them on, sometimes it was lug connectors, sometimes it was soldered-on lug connectors. Just get it done however you must. I've seen photos and heard the stories of the games that don't have this done and its NOT GOOD.

It has been done, thank you for the disaster-scenario encouragement. Those wires are pretty short to work with but it came out fine:

IMG_0660 (resized).JPGIMG_0660 (resized).JPG

3 years later
#2131 4 years ago

Hey all. I don't have my Black Knight anymore and had purchased a custom LED OCD for it but never installed it. I have no other System 7 games at the moment so am selling the LED OCD kit, $135 + $15 shipping:

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “I ordered this custom from Harold Toler (maker of LED OCD) for my Black Knight in 2016. It was never installed, and Black Knight has moved on. Includes LED OCD board, wiring harn...”
2020-03-22
Seattle, WA
100 (OBO)
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 208 times

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1,059.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gogojohnnyquack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=gogojohnnyquack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.