SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9824 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9817 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dezman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2429 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Got everything working 100% and got my LEDs in. New Titan rubbers coming next week to top it off.
When I was debating which early Solid State to buy I could only find 5 videos and no rules videos... so here is my humble contribution to the pinball video community with game overview, rules explanation, and gameplay.

Hi SantaEatsCheese . I am curious how you fixed your "2500 4" error. I have just started working on my machine and have this error. The manual shows it should boot into 2500 2 when in test mode. What components did you replace or fix to get your machine working 100%?

#2431 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I bought a new Kohout MPU board.
Works like a charm! Or atleast it did until the Power Driver board broke... now waiting on a refurbished replacement.

Thanks for the lightning fast reply. It seems like when just diving into the machine it is a game of whack-a-mole. I was stuck in test mode and replaced the original battery holder with a remote mount. Now working through the 2500 4 error. By any chance would you have a link or know which board you got. I found PinballPCB.com which looks to be the components you are talking about.

#2440 2 years ago

Hello Everyone, lots of good information to digest here. I am still learning the terminology but have been a lurker here for a while.

Wanted to give a little more background on the work I completed and where I am left now. I originally asked how to fix booting up into the "2500 4" error, which may not actually be an error.
I started with sorting out the battery installation. The original 3X battery holder was still on the board and not working even with fresh batteries. The machine would boot up into test/audit mode every time it turned on. I could cycle through that mode to eventually get it to game over,/attract then I could credit up and play. From there everything worked, speech, music, multiball, switches/drop targets sticky but working.
I removed the old battery holders. Installed a new remote battery pack. Then everything seemed to work. The first time it booted into test/audit mode I reset to factory settings following the guide in the instruction manual. From there it boots up correctly every time into attract/game over mode (If I chose to go into test/audit mode it still shows 2500 4). The machine remembers how many credits have been loaded even after power cycling. But, I am not even close to beat 2,500,000 so I can't be sure it is saving the high score. After playing for a few rounds (about 4 or 5) the drop targets stop popping back up after you knock all 3 down, and the game seems to not realize when a ball is lost or locked for multiball. I have done several power cycles both coin door open and closed.
Before looking to buy replacement boards, any hotspots to look into with the above described? Am I understanding it correctly that "2500 4" is just my game version? Could I still have a memory issue like Mathazar mentioned?
Appreciate all the knowledge in this group.

20210721_183612_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183612_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183738_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183738_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183803_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183803_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183808_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183808_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183814_resized (resized).jpg20210721_183814_resized (resized).jpg

#2447 2 years ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

Correct: it is not an error code. It simply means you automatically entered "diagnostics mode", straight to "game status (2500) which is the ID of the game (#Black Knight) and Test No.4
There are a lot of 3rd party manuals out there that provide troubleshooting instructions for the Williams System 6 & 7 pinballs out there, but one of my favorite ones is the official Williams manual which you can download from here: http://blackknightpinball.co.uk/wp/manuals-instructions/flipper-manual
In this manual, you might find this Diagnostic Flow Chart useful that clearly shows a battery problem to be the reason why your machine would enter diagnostic mode from power on.
I had the same problem as you. I would install new batteries, and it would work for a while, but then it would start in 2500/4 again, and the batteries were dead. The problem was that two blocking diodes that ensure that the batteries only power the RAM has failed, which was causing the batteries to try to power the entire board, and they would drain very quickly.
I replaced diodes D18 (1N5817) and D17 (1N4148), and this particular problem went away (it's been a year now).
In your case:
1. Turn your BK off
2. Check that you have good battery voltage (as close to the RAM as you can, or from the pins on the chip itself)
3. temporarily remove the batteries
4. use a multimeter to test the diodes.
5. If the diodes are good then the RAM itself is suspect.
In regard to the drop targets and the machine seemingly confused about multiball, I agree with frenchmarky: start with cleaning all of your leaf switches. DO NOT USE SANDPAPER Use a business card, and drag it in between the contacts with light pressure from your finger. You can also use alcohol.[quoted image]

Thanks for the crazy detailed response! All helpful things to try first before replacing any components with expensive modern counterparts. Which is where my mind was heading originally.
Where is the diagnostic start button you have detailed on your flow chart?

#2453 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When the three targets are knocked down, do their lights and the sound effect indicate that they were all indeed hit? Do they reset after their timers have run out, or do they totally stop resetting, period?
BK is known for having problems when the switches being dirty or simply worn out switch points, on the drop targets and the upper lock trough & lower trough switches which *could* be causing these two problems. I.e. lock shots or drains not being recognized, ball not being served, game not starting, and drop targets not registering. If you haven't cleaned/adjusted all these switches I would try that first and see if anything changes.

You hit it exactly. The switches on the locked/drained shots were not registering that a ball was in place. So I would try to start a game but the game thought there was only 1 or 2 balls on the field. Cleaned those switches and the game starts up fine and plays fine but other spots need cleaning. At least its no board need replacing.

Since I replaced the batteries with a remote mount I thought I messed up something there.

Since the game did not start it would not pop up the drop targets. But it was all due to not registering 3 balls into the field. The drop targets are still sticky and need love, but the game play alright.

Lesson learned it may be the small components you aren't thinking of that are your biggest headaches. And finding/fixing those could save you time and money.

1 month later
#2469 2 years ago

I have seen 3 machines now that all have the same problem. The plastic on the left side of the machine all wrarps in the same way. I already have to order new plastics but want to avoid this on the new one.

Is the light underneath too hot and melting the plastic in some small way? Not fitting properly and bending into place? Bent by ball hits?

Has anyone solved this on their black night?

20210911_132650 (resized).jpg20210911_132650 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#2564 2 years ago
Quoted from jimmyb:

Freshening up my BK lately. A little customizing and new plastics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Chrome flippers look slick AF

1 year later
#2982 9 months ago

Starting on the most important things first. New laminated instruction cards!

Inherited a free BK machine from my Uncle working through where to start. Have to get the Blackbox on and evaluate.

20230613_220206 (resized).jpg20230613_220206 (resized).jpg
#2985 9 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Looking for a used, but good condition, depopulated upper playfield to replace the one in mine that has wear, some dried duct tape adhesive remains around the upper trough, and a snapped-off minipost. Anyone who's done a playfield swap have a leftover, please PM me, thanks.

I think that's going to be tough. Most of the recreation playfields are only of the lower.

#2986 9 months ago

Has anyone come across one of these or know where to get one? There was a market post recently where a guy was selling his BK machine and this barstool. Would kill for one of these.

Pinside_market_158773_34 (resized).jpgPinside_market_158773_34 (resized).jpg
#2990 9 months ago
Quoted from Lmjdad:

I have some BK parts left over if anyone is interested.
Apron & Shooter cover
Plastics
Playfield metal
Displays
Some Playfield mechanical parts
Both playfields (bare)

Can I see what condition your apron and shooter cover are in?

A couple days ago someone on here was looking for the upper playfield too.

3 months later
#3059 6 months ago

Has anyone found any good side blades for this game? Side art decals or mirror blade?

1 week later
#3069 5 months ago

My BK does not have a hinged backbox. Probably standard for the time, but has anyone here come up with a good solution to hinge and lower the back box?

#3072 5 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I don't think anyone has.
Not a lot of meat there to work with. you would probably have to Notch the "Neck" of the cabinet.
This is pharaoh not BK, But pretty much the same.[quoted image]

I am doing a full restore including back box and cab. Would you be able to share your plans you used?

#3074 5 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Sure. what format can you read? They are currently in SW2020

I have SW2021 pretty sure they are compatible.

#3081 5 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

FYI in case you're in the market - I've decided to let my Black Knight go (along with a couple of other restorations) in order to fund a new project.

Curious to see what this sells for. I'm doing most of the restorations you have done. Pretty sure I'm actually following your restoration posts. I unfortunately have to make a full new cabinet.

Machine - For Sale

For Sale: 1980 Williams Black Knight

Fully restored (full original status) - “The restoration of this 43 year old pinball machine is a mix of new and original parts. I put about 120 hours labor into this restoration. Here's a rundown of the new parts - eve...”

6 days ago

Broomfield, CO
(1,635 mi)

Mathazar

4,250 (Firm)

#3082 5 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

FYI in case you're in the market - I've decided to let my Black Knight go (along with a couple of other restorations) in order to fund a new project.

Machine - For Sale

For Sale: 1980 Williams Black Knight

Fully restored (full original status) - “The restoration of this 43 year old pinball machine is a mix of new and original parts. I put about 120 hours labor into this restoration. Here's a rundown of the new parts - eve...”

7 days ago

Broomfield, CO
(1,635 mi)

Mathazar

4,250 (Firm)

Really curious to see what this sells for. I am working a similar full restore including new cabinet and backbox. I actually think I have been following your exact restoration guide for mine. I really like the color accents you have on your with the black legs and coin door. Good luck with the sale. We will be following with great interest.

1 month later
#3103 3 months ago
Quoted from Knackers:

I am applying decals to the apron of my Black Knight after spraying with enamel gloss paint. Should I clear coat over the decals?

Curious to see how this turns out. Post pictures here once it is done. My apron is beat up and scratch and so much of the paint is missing. Looking for some inspiration on how to do it.

1 week later
#3107 3 months ago
Quoted from Knackers:

One of it sitting in the machine.
[quoted image]

That looks pretty good. Did you print those yourself? I definitely need to do this on mine.

#3109 3 months ago

Ordered. You deserve a commission

1 week later
#3141 86 days ago

Looking for advice as to where the odd shaped wire goes. I just completed my hardtop install and rebuild but have this missing piece. I have 100+ pictures and it is not in any of them. Any advice appreciated.

Disregard 2 wires at the top of the photo those are the fast ball stops behind the flippers I won't be installing back in.

20240102_160246 (resized).jpg20240102_160246 (resized).jpg
#3144 85 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

[quoted image]

Perfect thank you!

#3153 79 days ago

Thank you @erockyoulikea! It was a labor of love. Here are a few pictures of the process. Enjoy!
Send me a PM if you are interested in having your machine restored. I'm great with custom lighting too!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]</blo

Love the accents with chainmail. Where did you manage to get that? I would totally buy some and install it on my machine.

#3154 79 days ago
Quoted from JoeChamp:

Thank you @erockyoulikea! It was a labor of love. Here are a few pictures of the process. Enjoy!
Send me a PM if you are interested in having your machine restored. I'm great with custom lighting too!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Absolutely love the chainmail accents. Where did you get those or how did you make them? I would totally buy some.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 13.50
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dezman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=dezman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.