• 3,199 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2096 4 years ago

I'm in the club! Picked up my first pinball machine on Saturday--a pretty nice Black Knight! So excited! Loving it! This machine is loaded; way ahead of its time. In a lot of ways I think it beats some system 11's in the feature and gameplay department.

IMG_20191217_103005 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103005 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103020 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103020 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103021 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103021 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103038 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103038 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103049 (resized).jpgIMG_20191217_103049 (resized).jpg
#2099 4 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Please confirm... in the default settings, two or three captured balls intended to start multiball do NOT carry over each turn if multiball is not achieved before round is over, right? Meaning you need lock two/ three balls AND achieve multiball on the same round or else the locked balls don't count and the locked multiball counter resets, correct?

Hey, 10 months later follow-up. For me, I like changing the game adjustment so that it saves the locks after ball drain. It technically makes the game a little easier, but for me BK can be a pretty mean game anyway, so that's not a bad thing. Plus, saving ball-locks between ball drains feels a lot more modern. So when I set it to retain locks, it makes BK feel that much more ahead of its time for me. Lastly, its really annoying to lock 2 balls, and then drain and have to start completely over. You all ready have to start over with your bonus and drop bank lights, so I think that's enough punishment.

But hey, to each their own!

2 weeks later
#2101 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Can someone let me know what supports the end of this plastic between the ramps. Some sort of standoff I guess that must have been there when I stripped the pin down.....
Thanks.[quoted image]

Yeah, mine's got a thin metal post/pin. Goes down to the wood. I'm not sure if its actually screwed in or not. Can't get a picture right now, but I'll post one later if no one else pops in sooner.

3 weeks later
#2130 4 years ago

Whew, finally beat my old High Score! I set the GC (2.6mil) like 3 days after I bought it, but before I'd really had a chance to dial in the pitch and levelness just right. And so it didn't feel like a "true" high score. Its been driving me bonkers trying to top it. My closest games being in the 2.2 to 2.3mil range. Then finally I kinda gave up and accepted that I was never gonna beat that score.

Low and behold, I took a 2-week break, came back, and knocked it out on like my third game! I think what really helped was that I was totally relaxed, and not even thinking about getting a high score. I only got one set of drops down before draining on ball 1, and had a short 100k ball 2, so I was like, "Well, definitely no hope of a GC this game!" But I ended up having a spectacular ball 3, earning an EB, and having a really great EB too. Before I took a break, I would start to get really tense every time I had a good ball going, and I think that hurt my play. Whereas this time, I didn't even really look at my score while I was playing, so that helped a lot I think.

IMG_20200129_123155 (resized).jpgIMG_20200129_123155 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#2134 4 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Here's my Black Knight, bought around '85. The owner had it in his living room by itself and he might have even bought it brand new (can't remember, long ago) but the cabinet hasn't a scratch so I could believe it. I've never had to 'fix' anything save for shopping it, and the usual pf cleanings, rubbers, switch cleaning etc. when needed. Doubt the boards have ever been touched, I ain't laid a finger on 'em. I did add a #44 socket under the plastics above the shooter lane and next to the top right flipper that can be reversed also, just looked like they should be lit to me. I can't believe it's been 35 years![quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good. Cool story. Although I see yours has the mildly-annoying misaligned stencil on the front of the cab. Sometimes the start button is right in the center of the sword handle, and sometimes it's off to the side. Not sure if it's where they drilled the hole, or if they modified the stencil at some point in the run.

#2136 4 years ago

Hmm...I'd be curious what the ratio of aligned to not-aligned is. Maybe others could chime in? Here's mine:

IMG_20200219_133259 (resized).jpgIMG_20200219_133259 (resized).jpg
#2142 4 years ago

Yeah, looks like the horse and sword are shifted to the right on the centered ones. On the offset ones, you can actually see the left-hand horse's front-legs fully.

Quoted from jibmums:

Mine couldn't be more perfectly aligned in the center. I wonder if it's an early versus late production game thing.

Could be. Not sure of the manufacture date, but mine is a System 7. Weren't some of the earlier BKs System 6's? Wonder if there's any correlation?

#2146 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Mine is centered, early production/system 6 power supply

Quoted from Michel_K17:

Same here: centered and early system 6 PS.

Well, there goes the late-run vs early-run theory. We're making real scientific progress here! Maybe it just depended on what guy was doing the stenciling that day? Although it seems weird that the stencil guys wouldn't all just align them to the sword. Maybe some of the stencilers were cross-eyed or something?

#2147 4 years ago

Tally stands at 5 centered vs 3 offset. With no apparent correlation to production date.

1 week later
#2155 4 years ago
Quoted from EilersPark:

Mine is a system 7 with the transformer in the cab, the button was centered on mine. here are before restore and after new stencils.[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh, I thought the 6's were the ones with the transformer in the cab? How do you tell if you have a system 6 or system 7 then?

#2160 4 years ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

I very much like the original "jeweled" look of the inserts on my BK, but some inserts have faded, particularly the blue one. I have done an LED conversion using the dimmest "retro" LEDs from Comet (and a few non-ghosting for the problem bulbs). Unfortunately, they all have white domes, which appear very white through the inserts.
I have had success using 10mm gel boot caps (for car instrument panels) which you can get for different colours from ebay: ebay.com link » 10 Qty Red 10mm T10 168 192 Light Bulb Color Caps Covers Toyota Honda Import
In summary: Green and Blue worked great, but the Red ones hardly make a difference. I only concentrated on the inserts close to the player. The ones on the upper playfield are too far to be visible.
And obviously, this is only a problem in moderately bright rooms.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, I've run into similar issues trying to LED the inserts. In the end, I've got an LED GI, and incandescents for the inserts. Even just having the GI LED'ed reduces the power draw quite a bit.

#2161 4 years ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

Here's mine: 1/4" thick foam seal with sticky back. It prevents fly-throughs 99% of the time, so yours is better. Just using what I have around the house. [quoted image]

Yeah, I used a piece of cardboard roughly that shape and size, and covered/attached it with silver duct tape. Can't be seen, and even if you could, it just looks like the metal guide. Haven't had any fly-throughs since.

3 weeks later
#2171 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Thanks for the help! Yes a buddy and myself had been combing through the machine trying to find the source of an intermittent start button issue that ended up just being a loose connector in the neck of the backbox. But before that all lights had been working. I'll try to follow these lines and see what I can find. THX

I'd also recommend wiggling the connectors for the lamps, that plugs into the main board. I had a string of lights out on mine, and fixed it by just wiggling and re-seating the connector in the back box. You never know, could get lucky!

#2173 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Yes thats actually what happened yesterday! I followed that yellow/orange-stripe wire up into the backbox and reseated the connector on the board, and also found a connector in the next of the backbox that I pressed firmly together. We had previously solved the start button issue by finding a larger connector in the neck of the backbox that wasn't snug and so it was most likely the same case with this smaller connector that was in there with this lamp wire. Thanks again for the help - Back in full Black![quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good! I always appreciate finding a Black Knight without wear spots on the Magna-save circles.

1 month later
#2206 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Board work is not my forte. I have a flash board with a black knight add on thing stamped 1982. I was told the flash board is fine but clearly not. I see some wire jumping to the tiny Black knight 82 "board". I have completely disconnected this board out of curiosity and it doesnt seem to do a damned thing. As far as I can tell, the game plays the same. I've included lots of pics of the boards and the add on board. Maybe someone with lots of experience will spot my flaw no problem. I'm mechanical inclined so I like tinkering with playfield mechs but computers are totally alien to me. I dont even own one.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Huh, there's definitely some custom stuff going on there in the backbox. Drop-target banks should definitely be acting independently. Have you tried taking the batteries out to reset all the settings back to default? Might be worth seeing what happens, unless you all ready did that. Also, that wear around the bumper is a little strange, I would have thought the mylar-ring would have prevented that. Unless of course your bumper doesn't have one.

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Dumb feeling question but should all the legs be the same length on this game?
I have the the front down as far as they'll go and the back up as high as they'll go. Not the most stable and I'd still like it even steeper tbh. I've got your standard 28" something legs all around.

Pretty sure my Black Knight's back legs were longer than the front ones. Don't have it anymore to check, but I'm 99% sure that they were.

#2213 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

So, I dug up an old pinside thread that had another little perfboard almost idential to that one, but in a firepower. I'm very confused as to the purpose.
Both have "Copywrite F.M.T." on them. I wonder who that was. Much less random at this point since the Firepower board looks identical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-what-is-this-little-board
-Hans

In the words of Mr. Spock...Fascinating.

1 week later
#2246 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm looking at getting some.board work done. Maybe someone can help me.out here to see what might be more worth it? I'm not good with board knowledge thanks. What boards/parts would be needed if buying updated boards like rottendog or similar products? I want to price out the costs/benefits of installing new boards that will never be an issue in my lifetime vs an unknown amount of board repairs that may need to be worked on again down the road (oh, and the battery pack moved/eliminated)
(For anyone unfamiliar with my issues in the last page or 2, game is playable but has hacks and plays incorrectly/not as intended)
I'm doing the whole Hardtop project anyway so it may be worth it to get new boards and I can follow basic install instructions. I'm not a dummy, I just would be utterly lost trying to locate the source of my grief on the existing boards. Still leaning toward cheaper repair job but it all depends just how expensive these new parts cost. Like I implied, I dont even know what is necessary to get a Black Knight up and running in the first place.
Thanks again guys.
[quoted image]

Yeah, your best bet is probably a good board-repair person. I'm pretty sure the Rottendog boards are know to have some issues. Mainly sound-related I believe, but others would be more familiar than me.

4 months later
#2306 3 years ago

I'll add, that once you remove the head bolts, you can just fold the head down like on a modern game. You just need a way to keep the head from sliding. When I bought my BK, I folded the head down and kept it in place with plastic wrap. Which is what I normally do anyway, so I basically moved it like a modern game. Just another option.

3 months later
#2352 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It only took me 3 months but I finally beat the default high score!
[quoted image]

Felt great when I finally beat mine. Gave up going for it after a while because the pressure made me play worse, then one day I just had one of those games where I passed 1 million on ball 1, and managed to earn an extra ball, and had a great ball 2, and boom I did it. Definitely memorable. Trouble was, after I did it, I lost a bit of interest in BK. That one goal had kept me coming back for a while.

#2353 3 years ago
Quoted from timk:

Hi! New guy here, just revived my long-dormant Black Knight and am having a problem where it always powers up in diagnostic/setting mode and with setting values at default. I go through the setting procedure to put it into freeplay & 5-ball and all's good; game play works fine. Until I turn the power off and back on again, at which point I'm back into diagnostic/setting mode and have lost those setting changes. So I change them again and all's good again.
Have any of you run into this issue and/or have any suggestions what to check beyond that the three AA batteries are good (they are).
And now for a little introduction: I bought my Black Knight back in 1993 or 4, played it for about 5 years or so, and then it stopped working. It has sat collecting dust for the last 20 years until last month when I decided it was time to get it back in action. The CPU self-test was returning a different number every time, and sometimes displaying random led segments that didn't even make a digit, so I figured I had a circuit board problem of some sort. Sent the main & driver board to Tim Nabours for repair and when I got them back yesterday the game was up and running in short order. While I was waiting for the board repair I replaced the o-rings which had deterioriated badly, and when I got it back up and running I replace a handful of burnt bulbs, but otherwise it's unrestored and original. I have a couple minor issues with lights that aren't as simple as dead bulbs, but I'll ask about those in a different post if I can't figure it out myself.
After looking at the playfield pics here I have concluded that mine is what would be called a "high mileage example" in the motorcycle restoration/collecting field (my main hobby). I didn't even know the drop targets were supposed to have art on them -- mine are just bare pink -- and the "When Lit" part in the center of the Magna-Save is completely worn off.
Anyway, that ran on longer than I planned -- excited to find this community and super happy to be playing my Black Knight again, and thanks in advance for any help that you all might be able to provide.
[quoted image]

Added 15 days ago: Following up... Got the playfield lights working (should've waited a bit before taking and uploading that pic I guess) and found some info in one of my manuals that seemed relevant to my main problem described above, but it didn't solve it.
I have a booklet of schematics which includes a couple introductory pages of assembly & setup. In the Power Turn-On and Game Setup section, paragraph 2 part b says:
If the game still comes on in the diagnostic mode, open the coin door and turn the game OFF, and ON twice. This is an indication of the batteries being removed with the power OFF or coming loose during shipment. [note -- I did remove the batteries with the power off to check their voltage and so this seemed relevant] This has also resulted in features reverting to factory settings. Any changes from factory settings must be reentered using procedures provided in the instruction booklet. [again, right in line with what I'm experiencing]
So I thought, eureka! But no. If I leave the game powered off for more than a few minutes it comes back on in diagnostics mode. Argh.
The next paragraph (3) says:
If the game still comes on in the diagnostic mode, refer to troubleshooting procedures in the maintenance manual.
I don't have the maintenance manual, just the instruction booklet and the schematic booklet with these setup instructions.
So still stuck and hoping one of you more experienced Black Knight owners will have a clue or two for me. Thanks.

Hmm, sounds to me kinda like maybe the batteries aren't keeping the memory powered? This could be the cause. I owned a BK for a while, but I never had to really fix anything on it. I did take apart the drop target assemblies to put on new target decals. But that was about it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1,059.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.