• Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_063905 (resized).jpg
20240423_060943 (resized).jpg
20240422_060912 (resized).jpg
Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider andy_b.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#792 6 years ago

Include me in.

Just picked up a project BK. A bit of a nail and paid a bit too much.
Me and many others

4 months later
#928 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

For anyone interested, the BK hardtop is now available for sale on the Outside Edge website!

There is a picture of it on the website but it isn't showing as one of the options available to add to the cart.

#931 6 years ago

OK thanks.

I have fired them an e-mail on availability and will post their reply.

3 months later
#989 5 years ago

Picked up a bit of a shed of a BK that needs pf, cab and board work.

Has anyone ever created a decal for the area around the pop bumper on the upper pf?

I am undecided whether to re-paint or do the hard top pf replacement. Anyone done this?

Andy

4 months later
#1330 5 years ago

Finally got my BK project booting into attract mode.

The problem I have is that it will immediately boot into attract mode with the coin door open (you don't have to flick the on/off switch multiple times it does it on the first try) but will only boot into audit mode with the coin door closed.

I have replaced all the ROM sockets and the 40 pin interconnector. The coin door interlock switch is present and working. I have a remote battery pack with new batteries, D17 tests good and I have 4.45v at pin 22 of the 5101.

What am I missing?

#1332 5 years ago

Yes

#1333 5 years ago

If I pull the diagnostisc connector (IJ4?) from the CPU the game boots every time. Might have a probe at IC5 to see what it is doing.

#1335 5 years ago

I don't have balls in the pin but I am not trying to start a game. I am just trying to get it to boot into attract mode with the coin door closed.
It should do this whether there are balls in or not - but it isn't

#1337 5 years ago

Dunno but will check.

#1338 5 years ago

Ok. Everything took a step backwards. Tried replacing the 5101 as it was already socketed but now the CPU locks up with a "0" displayed and both LEDs lit on the CPU and the machine repeating the same phrase over and over. Put the original 5101 back in but still the same problem.

#1339 5 years ago

Made some progress back to the original problem Just reseated the ROMS and the pin will once again boot into attract mode with coin door open but only into audit mode with it closed.

Quoted from zacaj:

Is it remembering your audits, adjustments etc if you boot it again with the door closed?

The game does remember audit adjustments between power cycles whether coin door open or closed.

#1342 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Clean the pins on your ROMs. Best would be to clean them and replace the ROM sockets to ensure best reliability. I've had many bad ROM sockets (worn out) on System 3-7 games.

Sockets have been replaced but the legs of the ROMs do look a bit grubby.

I usually replace ROMS on project games as a matter of course but these seemed to be OK.

I'll give the legs a clean but is this likely to be the cause of my problem?

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I think so, yes. Especially if you are getting intermittent boot up issues and reseating the ROMs change things.

OK. I will order new ROMs so I should know one way or another when I get them fitted.

In the mean time could someone let me know where the red and white ground wire from the magnet relays connects in the back box. Mine is bundled with the wires that go to the black connector in the picture but is then left hanging. The schematic just shows a ground connection.

Thanks.

DSCN2723A (resized).jpgDSCN2723A (resized).jpgDSCN2724A (resized).jpgDSCN2724A (resized).jpg
#1348 5 years ago

That's great, thanks

3 months later
#1587 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Well I have now replaced IC8 with a new 7402 as well, and it is still locking the jet.

I haven't read the whole thread but have you replaced the diode on the coil? Is it the right way round?

4 months later
#1820 4 years ago

That upper playfield looks to be in pretty good condition

1 week later
#1845 4 years ago

Just finished hard top intallation and cab decals.

20190602_124821 (resized).jpg20190602_124821 (resized).jpg20190602_124851 (resized).jpg20190602_124851 (resized).jpg
#1863 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Nice. How well did your hardtop installation go? Did you have to make any modifications? I put one in my Mata Hari a few months ago and it went great - only issues with fit was that I needed to dremel out several holes in the hardtop that were mis-aligned and a couple that were missing altogether. I'm thinking about putting one in my Black Knight now, but I'm worried about the smoothness of the transitions from the base of the ramps and the hardtop (as demonstrated in Cary Hardy's YouTube video) and my limited abilities to overcome them.
How was the alignment of the hardtop insert areas over the inserts themselves? Any bare wood showing or did you paint around the inserts first before applying the hardtop as insurance?
Those are decals on your cab and not a stencil repaint? Where did you get the cab decals?

The installation went pretty well. I didn't clearcoat the pf after sanding. Didn't see the point if its going to have a 3mm thick plastic layer on top.

The alignment wasn't perfect. I had to paint black around some of the inserts otherwise the sanded pf would have been visible. Some of the screw holes didn't line up very well either but neither of these were major issues.

In answer to the question "Why decals?" it's because I f*cked the stencils up. Despite my best prepping the stencils kept lifting the paint when removed. I think it was too cold in the garage and wasn't aware this could be an issue. About £200 down the Swanee Decals are much easier to apply and IMO look just as good.

I have to admit at being slightly disappointed that the hardtop is clearly a scan. The clarity of the text and artwork is not so sharp.

20190219_135120 (resized).jpg20190219_135120 (resized).jpg
#1871 4 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Funny but I didn't get the impression it was a scan. Maybe I didn't look close enough when I installed mine. I'll have to have a closer look at it and my Space Shuttle hardtop. If that's all they are doing I would imagine that they would be producing them a lot faster than they are...

Dunno. Maybe I'm just being a bit anal.
20190613_114115 (resized).jpg20190613_114115 (resized).jpg20190613_114143 (resized).jpg20190613_114143 (resized).jpg

In fairness it looks a lot worse in the close up pictures.

#1875 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

andy_b - Did you have any issues with the smoothness of the transitions from the base of the ramps and the BK hardtop (as demonstrated in Cary Hardy's BK hardtop installation YouTube video series)? He got the transition smooth with epoxy to raise the ramp bases, shaving/trimming the epoxy, and shims, but with my somewhat limited skills in this area I'm worried about that part of the install if this common. Without making that transition smooth, the ball could hop going up or coming down the ramp, or (if floating slow enough in that area) get caught and stuck there.

This wasnt something I considered when installing the hardtop but it is definitely an issue. Occasionally a slow ball does get stuck behind the lip at the bottom of the ramp.

I will have to shim it 0.030" or 0.8mm as we like to call it here in the 21st century

#1879 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Might be a good suggestion for the hardtop guys that they cut "Ramp shims" out of the waste areas of the hardtop and include them...

Or at least mention it in the documentation.

#1889 4 years ago

I've ordered some 0.03" vinyl to cut to size. It was the most convenient material to get next day in the correct thickness but I don't know if it will be hard enough to resist being squashed when the ramp screws are tightened. I will see how that goes.

I am thinking of getting some stainless sheet and cutting it to the profile of the ramp cut-out in the playfield. It might look quite good with the stainless ramps. Or not.

#1894 4 years ago

You might want to give the contact cleaner a miss.

No. 3 on Tim Arnold's "Things not to do to a Pinball" list

3 - SPRAY CONTACT CLEANER IS EVIL!

I don't care what your uncle told you! I don't care that the label says "Safe - Leaves No Residue"! They are false! This is a lazy fools fix! It's a chemical solution to a mechanical problem! 95% of the dirt can be removed by wiping with a soft cloth! This is all you should do to a digital game's gold plated heads! Electro-mechanical games and all flipper switches are made of silver or a hard alloy. These should be filed flat and smooth! While filing, if the head is loose, replace the whole blade! After both contacts are cleaned and/or filed, adjust for self cleaning by having the two overwipe on contact! This lack of overwiping is why the contacts got dirty in the first place! A properly adjusted contact should NEVER get dirty! Also, bakelite spacers dry out, leaving loose switch stacks! Tighten both screws before adjusting.

I think someone set fire to their pinball machine back in the day when the vapour from the contact cleaner ignited in the cab.

1 week later
#1929 4 years ago

I think the detached green wire is soldered to the same spot as the green wire that is still attached.

2 months later
#2000 4 years ago

I like the alternative artwork for the cab. Great work!

Will you be leaving the area for the legs and side rail white? I would suggest you make it all black and trim accordingly.

3 months later
#2100 4 years ago

Can someone let me know what supports the end of this plastic between the ramps. Some sort of standoff I guess that must have been there when I stripped the pin down.....

Thanks.

20191209_125314 (resized).jpg20191209_125314 (resized).jpg
#2103 4 years ago

I over tightened mine and broke the end which made me think there would be some sort of support for it.

11 months later
#2344 3 years ago

My BK displays have decided to stop working. I tried a newly repaired CPU in the pin that has new ROMs and ROM sockets and passes all the tests with Marcos test ROM. (including ROM socket test)
I left the pin on for several hours with no problems initially.
The following day no displays. I have good 100V, -100V, 5V and 3.8V blanking to the master display board and have the orange glow in all the displays.
Although the machine boots into attract mode and I can add credits and start a game, I have an error code 4 on the CPU LED. This has changed from a 6 earlier today. These both relate to ROM issues. I am thinking this is unrelated to displays but can't understand how the pin is booting and playing.

3 weeks later
#2348 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That seems super odd however, consider this: The same PIA that runs the displays, sends the number to the 7 segment LED status display on the CPU board. I would suspect the PIA at IC18 on the CPU board.

I swapped the CPU out before I could fix this, due to the multiple issues, but I was leaning towards the 74154 chip which was receiving pulsing input signals (logic probe) but output was fixed (can't remember if high or low).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider andy_b.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=andy_b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.