• 3,201 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WonderMellon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1449 5 years ago

Eapbs,
Is your play field original? It looks quite good in the pics. Mine needs some serious TLC. Trying to decide between learning touch ups or getting a hard top overlay.

#1451 5 years ago

Your "before" pictures look way better than mine. Comparing the "after" in your previous post, the only thing I could notice was the right magna save "when lit" was a little off. If and when I try airbrushing, if mine comes out that well, I will be ecstatic. For right now, I am happy with it as a working machine in line for some love after a few of my other projects. Too bad you are not closer, I would love to learn a few airbrushing skills when the time comes.

#1453 5 years ago

Here are a few pics of what I have to conquer. The dirt and swirl is consistent all over the playfield and there are several of these gouges.

0076093B-1051-4F8E-81B4-45D64CEC23ED (resized).jpeg0076093B-1051-4F8E-81B4-45D64CEC23ED (resized).jpeg19ADA6EE-3130-4039-ADB5-C1F33CEC4581 (resized).jpeg19ADA6EE-3130-4039-ADB5-C1F33CEC4581 (resized).jpegD1D84E0E-C39D-4645-B947-EEEDDDDBA756 (resized).jpegD1D84E0E-C39D-4645-B947-EEEDDDDBA756 (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#1764 5 years ago

Fuse blown - Rectifier problem or something else?

Turned on my BK the other day and could not get a game started. Was working just fine previously. Attract mode was still working, but no ball ejected. Turns out the F2 fuse blew. Have been going down the troubleshooting route, but I have run out of fuses. Found a few posts mentioning using circuit breakers temporarily, so I have a few sizes in the mail.

I can't pin down exactly when the fuse blows, and it isn't an obvious blow either. No flash of light, no break in the inside wire, I can only tell it is blown by pulling and using the DMM. Whatever is causing it, I am assuming it is not a huge short that draws a considerable amount of voltage.

One thing I did was take a look at the bridge rectifiers. From what I am reading, the left rectifier should be at 28vdc and the right rectifier should be at 18vdc. When I measure, I am showing the left rectifier at 43vdc and the right at 16.6vdc. Not surprisingly, I get the same 43vdc at the fuse lug as well. Would the higher voltage (43 instead of 28) cause the fuse to blow or am I better off looking elsewhere?

If I need to replace them, does anyone know the part numbers? I can find the rectifiers listed in the manual, but not seeing actual part numbers.

Thanks!

#1768 5 years ago

The power supply caps were replaced less than a year ago. They are good.

What do you mean about checking the bridge diodes?

#1777 5 years ago

@vec-tor

The power supply seems OK. Not exact, but I assume within 1980's tolerance.

D1 = 13.8 one side and 26.5 on the other

For IC 1
11 & 12 = 26.6
10 = 6.5
2 = 5
3 = 4.8
4 = 4.8

@schwaggs
I found some other posts that mention this a while ago. When I turn the game on and check with the probe, the blanking circuit is low for maybe a second or so, then there is a very fast blip to high, then it goes low again. I have a bunch more fuses and a circuit breaker coming tomorrow. I can check inserting a fuse with the game running later.

1 week later
#1778 5 years ago

I am following up on my post. After getting the circuit breaker and hooking it up to the fuse position, when I turned on the game the lower right coil energized and locked on. I tested the board for for voltage and did a logic probe on the solenoid IC, resisters and both transistors. Moving on to the playfield I replaced the diode, soldered the wire and confirmed the grey/orange wire was showing continuity to the back box and was getting ground. Long story short, I failed to recognize that low signal on the logic probe is not the same a no signal. The center post on the driver transistor for coil 3 was showing low signal, where the other transistors were showing no signal. Replacing the transistor has the game working 100%.

Thank you for your help. For anyone with similar issues in the future, when the research tells you to test the pre driver transistor and the driver transistor, be sure to check it at least twice and take the time to understand what your data tells you. Almost every post I read said that a transistor was the most likely culprit, but I thought I had ruled that out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WonderMellon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only?tu=WonderMellon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.