IMG_2077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0005 (resized).jpeg
20240521_143546 (resized).jpg
20240505_204336 (resized).jpg
20240505_204343 (resized).jpg
20240423_063905 (resized).jpg
20240423_060943 (resized).jpg
20240422_060912 (resized).jpg
Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 66.
#3251 26 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

This is an extra plastic piece that wasn't on the original pins. It should go here.[quoted image]

Thanks! So you only use the 1 then?

#3252 26 days ago
Quoted from Dezman:

Thanks! So you only use the 1 then?

CPR gives you more than one? I suppose you can use the others for keychains.

#3253 26 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Yeah, I think I got 2 with my kit.
I put one where it was 'supposed' to go...it looks good!

#3254 24 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I was sent 3. Key chains it is.

#3255 23 days ago

I put that extra little plastic on my game a year or two ago but honestly after a day or two I totally forgot about it. I kept it in there though, nice little touch but it is so inconspicuous you have to sort of... notice it on purpose.

#3256 22 days ago

On mine, I actually sandwiched a short orange LED strip (Comet matrix) underneath and tied it into the extra ball insert LED. Inconspicuous when off, but a nice accent when lit.

#3257 21 days ago

Just bought a Black Knight that has had some work done to the CPU and came with replacement coils, I was told the original coils had burnt out and the CPU repairs will have solved these issues. I replaced these coils and now all the flippers work, wich is a good start.

However, when I turn the machine on the pop bumper (jet bumper) solinoid locks on instantly (unsure if it did this before I replaced the coil). I have been turning it off imediately to avoid burning out anything else. I've checked all the solder connections and switch contacts and everything looks fine. I have a feeling there may be soething wrong on one of the boards that may be beyond my capability.

It may also be related that both slings and magnets are not activating.

#3258 21 days ago
Quoted from Andy_Chapman:

Just bought a Black Knight that has had some work done to the CPU and came with replacement coils, I was told the original coils had burnt out and the CPU repairs will have solved these issues. I replaced these coils and now all the flippers work, wich is a good start.
However, when I turn the machine on the pop bumper (jet bumper) solinoid locks on instantly (unsure if it did this before I replaced the coil). I have been turning it off imediately to avoid burning out anything else. I've checked all the solder connections and switch contacts and everything looks fine. I have a feeling there may be soething wrong on one of the boards that may be beyond my capability.
It may also be related that both slings and magnets are not activating.

Congrats on your new game! BK was my first pin, and it will always be one of my favorites.

Sounds like you may have a couple issues to sort through, and the mpu and/or driver board are likely going to need to be serviced to fix the problems.

As far as the non-working magnets: did you remember to screw down the ground strap in the backbox in addition to the white-red wire for the magnet grounds? There's a wingnut and stud/screw sticking up in the center of the backbox where both of them should be mounted/screwed down. It's an easy thing to miss when setting up the game.

The pop bumper locking on plus non-working slingshots sounds like a possible driver board and/or mpu issue. Note all 3 of those solenoids are "special solenoids" meaning they have different circuitry and operation from the other 'regular' solenoids. Most notably, the special solenoids have 2 switches--an activation switch, and a scoring switch.

If the game is activating the pop bumper coil the moment you turn it on, it could be a fried transistor (and perhaps a bad chip or 2 upstream). If the coil locks on only after you coin up and *start* a game, that could be a different scenario/problem.

If you want to try testing other stuff without worrying about burning the coil, you can desolder or cut off the ground wire (the blue-orange wire according to the schematic) going to the pop bumper coil.

Sounds like you may need to send the boards out for repairs, do you know any techs in the area?

#3259 19 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Congrats on your new game! BK was my first pin, and it will always be one of my favorites.
Sounds like you may have a couple issues to sort through, and the mpu and/or driver board are likely going to need to be serviced to fix the problems.
As far as the non-working magnets: did you remember to screw down the ground strap in the backbox in addition to the white-red wire for the magnet grounds? There's a wingnut and stud/screw sticking up in the center of the backbox where both of them should be mounted/screwed down. It's an easy thing to miss when setting up the game.
The pop bumper locking on plus non-working slingshots sounds like a possible driver board and/or mpu issue. Note all 3 of those solenoids are "special solenoids" meaning they have different circuitry and operation from the other 'regular' solenoids. Most notably, the special solenoids have 2 switches--an activation switch, and a scoring switch.
If the game is activating the pop bumper coil the moment you turn it on, it could be a fried transistor (and perhaps a bad chip or 2 upstream). If the coil locks on only after you coin up and *start* a game, that could be a different scenario/problem.
If you want to try testing other stuff without worrying about burning the coil, you can desolder or cut off the ground wire (the blue-orange wire according to the schematic) going to the pop bumper coil.
Sounds like you may need to send the boards out for repairs, do you know any techs in the area?

Kia ora frunch (Thanks!). Really appreciate your detailed response!
We have a good tech in the area that I know semi well, and I also have a few friends that are handy with identifying and (potentially) resolving board issues. I have the manual and will get my buddy to come over and investigate with a multimeter. I foresee some continuity testing in my future!

I did hook up the braided earth wire when I put the head box on, but don't recall seeing a white-red wire for the magnet ground. I'll look for that later.

#3260 18 days ago

Kia ora frunch (Thanks!). Really appreciate your detailed response!
We have a good tech in the area that I know semi well, and I also have a few friends that are handy with identifying and (potentially) resolving board issues. I have the manual and will get my buddy to come over and investigate with a multimeter. I foresee some continuity testing in my future!
I did hook up the braided earth wire when I put the head box on, but don't recall seeing a white-red wire for the magnet ground. I'll look for that later.

You’re most welcome!

This is a good opportunity to learn some basics with a multimeter: how to test fuses, switches, lamps, wiring, not to mention ac and dc voltage testing—all that and much more is possible even with a cheap one. If you get a buddy over to help—make sure they go over multimeter basics with you, it’s *super* helpful for troubleshooting once you get familiar with it (and perhaps buy some extra attachments for the leads, alligator clips and the like) and it’s surprisingly simple to use once you understand how to.

Sounds like you’ve got a number of pinball people in your area—that’s great! Hopefully with a little help from your friends you too can enjoy getting your butt kicked repeatedly by the Knight, lol! What a brutal game, my buddy still hasn’t broken the factory preset high score on his

#3261 17 days ago

Missing plastic peace on second level above ball chute from plunger, Does anyone have an extra or know where I can get this small plastic piece? See pic for missing area on my Black Knight 1980 game. Thanks in advance.

20240625_171604 (resized).jpg20240625_171604 (resized).jpg
#3262 17 days ago
Quoted from Jim4R:

Missing plastic peace on second level above ball chute from plunger, Does anyone have an extra or know where I can get this small plastic piece? See pic for missing area on my Black Knight 1980 game. Thanks in advance.
[quoted image]

ebay.com link: itm

1 week later
#3263 9 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

You’re most welcome!
This is a good opportunity to learn some basics with a multimeter: how to test fuses, switches, lamps, wiring, not to mention ac and dc voltage testing—all that and much more is possible even with a cheap one. If you get a buddy over to help—make sure they go over multimeter basics with you, it’s *super* helpful for troubleshooting once you get familiar with it (and perhaps buy some extra attachments for the leads, alligator clips and the like) and it’s surprisingly simple to use once you understand how to.
Sounds like you’ve got a number of pinball people in your area—that’s great! Hopefully with a little help from your friends you too can enjoy getting your butt kicked repeatedly by the Knight, lol! What a brutal game, my buddy still hasn’t broken the factory preset high score on his

You were right Frunch! I found the white-red wire just dangling around. I attached this with the other braided earth wire and bazzinga, now the magnets are working! Cheers!

My buddy showed me some multimeter basics and it was suuuuper helpful. Was able to take out the driver board and identify 3 faulty transistors. Found some replacements with a little help and managed to soler them in much neater than I had thought possible. Hasn't resolved the problem tho, as it just blows the solinoid fuse as soon as I turn it on now.

I'm told I need to check all the diodes on the coils in the special soliniod circut. Then move on to checking the chips if that doesn't resolve the issue.

Enjoying the hunt!

#3264 8 days ago

You were right Frunch! I found the white-red wire just dangling around. I attached this with the other braided earth wire and bazzinga, now the magnets are working! Cheers!
My buddy showed me some multimeter basics and it was suuuuper helpful. Was able to take out the driver board and identify 3 faulty transistors. Found some replacements with a little help and managed to soler them in much neater than I had thought possible. Hasn't resolved the problem tho, as it just blows the solinoid fuse as soon as I turn it on now.
I'm told I need to check all the diodes on the coils in the special soliniod circut. Then move on to checking the chips if that doesn't resolve the issue.
Enjoying the hunt!

You might want to check the solenoid another way....
What I always do when the solenoid fuse blows is this:
Disconnect all solenoid plugs,
Replace the fuse,
Turn the power back on,
Connect one connector at a time in a slanted fasion, so that one pin connects at a time.
At the moment you connect the faulty pin, you will see a spark and (maybe) hear the coil energizing.
Check which pin it is and look in the schematics which coil to check.
If the coil checks out fine, check the chips.

Peter

#3265 3 days ago

As a flyer collector and a big Black Knight fan, I was elated when I found this quite rare flyer of a Black Rider. It looks to be an exact copy, other than the name change on the backglass and different artwork on the cabinet. The playfield look the same but I am noticing some differences like bumper caps, flipper bats, but the board set looks completely different, not sure what board set it is. See how many differences you can find!

https://nypinball.com/flyers/black-rider/

IPDB entry: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=black+rider&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#3266 3 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

As a flyer collector and a big Black Knight fan, I was elated when I found this quite rare flyer of a Black Rider. It looks to be an exact copy, other than the name change on the backglass and different artwork on the cabinet. The playfield look the same but I am noticing some differences like bumper caps, flipper bats, but the board set looks completely different, not sure what board set it is. See how many differences you can find!
https://nypinball.com/flyers/black-rider/
IPDB entry: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=black+rider&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

The IPDB entry says four sets of 3 drop targets, but the photos clearly show standup targets.

#3267 3 days ago
Quoted from jibmums:

The IPDB entry says four sets of 3 drop targets, but the photos clearly show standup targets.

Good eye! I guess the Italians didn’t like drop targets…

#3268 2 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

Good eye! I guess the Italians didn’t like drop targets…

The inserts are different at the targets too. Looks like there are 4 insert lights per target bank.

Odd.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Crofton, MD
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 38.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 3,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.