EDC10D1E-0948-4199-85B5-3F659C99900F (resized).jpeg
EF6C71D1-739E-4AB9-91B8-8720DA3B1F29 (resized).jpeg
94DB6B5D-B6D2-4F6C-921C-4A65147BE79C (resized).jpeg
81406C4F-0365-4203-8347-B31016CA1FB6 (resized).jpeg
381090FC-6A57-40C8-914C-F137F9FDA53A (resized).jpeg
D862CA46-4968-49E2-B259-9FE45DC34B2B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 2476 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 50.
#2451 50 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Lots of dirt, but that playfield doesn't look too bad! Very little wear, and hardly any at the Magna Saves (which usually have white marks or bare wood showing at the center of the green).

The lack of wear is weird. I’m happy it’s just mostly dirty, but I agree that the normal places are not there. I say weird because the rest of the machine is trashed, smells bad, etc.

I have hope. Did some test cleaning.

81406C4F-0365-4203-8347-B31016CA1FB6 (resized).jpeg94DB6B5D-B6D2-4F6C-921C-4A65147BE79C (resized).jpegEDC10D1E-0948-4199-85B5-3F659C99900F (resized).jpegEF6C71D1-739E-4AB9-91B8-8720DA3B1F29 (resized).jpeg
#2452 50 days ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

The lack of wear is weird. I’m happy it’s just mostly dirty, but I agree that the normal places are not there.

Maybe the dirt protected the playfield from wear, lol.

#2453 50 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

When the three targets are knocked down, do their lights and the sound effect indicate that they were all indeed hit? Do they reset after their timers have run out, or do they totally stop resetting, period?
BK is known for having problems when the switches being dirty or simply worn out switch points, on the drop targets and the upper lock trough & lower trough switches which *could* be causing these two problems. I.e. lock shots or drains not being recognized, ball not being served, game not starting, and drop targets not registering. If you haven't cleaned/adjusted all these switches I would try that first and see if anything changes.

You hit it exactly. The switches on the locked/drained shots were not registering that a ball was in place. So I would try to start a game but the game thought there was only 1 or 2 balls on the field. Cleaned those switches and the game starts up fine and plays fine but other spots need cleaning. At least its no board need replacing.

Since I replaced the batteries with a remote mount I thought I messed up something there.

Since the game did not start it would not pop up the drop targets. But it was all due to not registering 3 balls into the field. The drop targets are still sticky and need love, but the game play alright.

Lesson learned it may be the small components you aren't thinking of that are your biggest headaches. And finding/fixing those could save you time and money.

#2454 49 days ago

So the boards have quite a bit of alkaline damage and I’m just going to start clean with kohout.

I wanted to figure out how long the batteries were in there, but they are so old that they don’t have a best used by date.

Had to base it off the logo. Energizer used this logo from 87-93. So potentially 30 year old batteries.

2CB020C3-36B2-477B-8FE3-369E0E4C9AA2 (resized).jpeg
#2455 46 days ago

Just joined the club I’m looking for a sound and speech board any one have an extra? I also am looking for the very back left plastic that covers the ball lock and left ramp.

Thanks
Joe

#2456 45 days ago
Quoted from joew575:

I’m looking for a sound and speech board any one have an extra?

Aftermarket sound/speech boards are available:
https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-d8224-square-sound--speech.html

#2457 44 days ago

Looking for some help with an odd speech issue. Speech works when I use the test button, but not in game. In game when there is speech, it sounds like static and someone whistling over it. Almost like someone whistling at a ballgame.

#2458 44 days ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Looking for some help with an odd speech issue. Speech works when I use the test button, but not in game. In game when there is speech, it sounds like static and someone whistling over it. Almost like someone whistling at a ballgame.

The whistling is one of the sounds the game can make, it sounds like yours game is playing it at the wrong time. This can happen if one or more of the signals from the CPU board are not making it to the Sound board properly. They leave the CPU board on J8 (right side of the CPU board) and enter the sound board on J3 (left most on the top of the sound board).

Try reseating these to see if that makes a difference. If you haven't already, you should reflow the solder on these header pins (all the pins on these boards for that matter).

If that doesn't help, run the sound test in diagnostics (instructions in the instruction booklet). This test verifies the connection between the CPU and sound board. Pressing the diagnostic button on the sound board itself only verifies the soundboard and ROMS themselves are functioning. The diagnostic test triggers each signal line one at a time. From this, you should be able to tell which one is not making it to the sound board. From there you can trace it to a wiring problem or a dead output on IC36 (PIA).

#2459 44 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The whistling is one of the sounds the game can make, it sounds like yours game is playing it at the wrong time. This can happen if one or more of the signals from the CPU board are not making it to the Sound board properly. They leave the CPU board on J8 (right side of the CPU board) and enter the sound board on J3 (left most on the top of the sound board).
Try reseating these to see if that makes a difference. If you haven't already, you should reflow the solder on these header pins (all the pins on these boards for that matter).
If that doesn't help, run the sound test in diagnostics (instructions in the instruction booklet). This test verifies the connection between the CPU and sound board. Pressing the diagnostic button on the sound board itself only verifies the soundboard and ROMS themselves are functioning.

Thank you! This helps a lot. I should be able to track down the issue with this info.

#2460 39 days ago

Two questions regarding the 1980's Black Knight 1) when the ramp bonus is lit, what tells the machine that you have sent a ball up the middle ramp? and 2) I don't have a gate at the top of the middle ramp. Should I try to add it and Are they available?
Thanks for any information.
Jim

#2461 39 days ago
Quoted from Jim4R:

Two questions regarding the 1980's Black Knight 1) when the ramp bonus is lit, what tells the machine that you have sent a ball up the middle ramp? and 2) I don't have a gate at the top of the middle ramp. Should I try to add it and Are they available?
Thanks for any information.
Jim

It may take some searching around, but you should have that gate for the middle ramp. It looks like this:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6505

Marco's is out of stock on it but I haven't looked at any more places.

More importantly, do you have the hardware/bracket for the gate or is that missing as well? On the underside of the playfield in that area...is the wiring and switch for the gate present/disconnected? That's what tells the game to award the Bonus/Mystery scores....the ball goes up the ramp and enters the upper playfield passing thru the gate, the gate activates the switch, and scores.

005a (resized).jpg
#2462 39 days ago

Here's the parts diagram for that whole assembly, with part numbers.
Can probably skip the right side post though in this case, since Black Knight uses one of the ribbed red posts in that location.
Was a somewhat generic assembly.

rollunder (resized).JPG

#2463 39 days ago

perfect information. I see the switch, but need three pieces, 12-6505, 12-6484, and 01-6644. Much appreciated for your fast and excellent response.

#2464 38 days ago
Quoted from Jim4R:

perfect information. I see the switch, but need three pieces, 12-6505, 12-6484, and 01-6644. Much appreciated for your fast and excellent response.

I think this part may be the whole assembly and it’s in stock. I would email them or call to confirm. Some of my the parts references on marco seems to be not complete.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-11235

#2465 38 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

That's what tells the game to award the Bonus/Mystery scores....the ball goes up the ramp and enters the upper playfield passing thru the gate, the gate activates the switch, and scores.

And just so you don't drive yourself nuts trying to adjust it - it also will score the mystery in multiball if a ball comes DOWN the ramp.

1 week later
#2466 25 days ago

Does anyone know where I can source reproduction cabinet labels? I’m overhauling my BK. Would like to replace the adjustments pouch and back box warning and information cards. Also on the back of the cabinet the factory game decal. Mine is missing or worn off.

I also have a rebuild thread. Welcome input and thoughts.

5B651113-27F6-4DD7-A5B4-A6C6F7CE9723 (resized).jpeg783768D5-A3F0-4C61-A58C-1ECA61E27899 (resized).jpeg
#2467 25 days ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Does anyone know where I can source reproduction cabinet labels?

You can find a lot of good stuff here: http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

3 weeks later
#2468 4 days ago

Getting closer. Sprayed some Sherwin Williams Emerald a bit ago. Still wet in pic. Should flatten a bit. So far I really like this paint.

306D64CE-BF74-49DF-A6EA-BA99E5848451 (resized).jpegE9070B30-DB00-4377-9A4D-19F31BB35F97 (resized).jpeg

#2469 4 days ago

I have seen 3 machines now that all have the same problem. The plastic on the left side of the machine all wrarps in the same way. I already have to order new plastics but want to avoid this on the new one.

Is the light underneath too hot and melting the plastic in some small way? Not fitting properly and bending into place? Bent by ball hits?

Has anyone solved this on their black night?

20210911_132650 (resized).jpg

#2470 4 days ago

Looks to me like the posts are taller than the wood rail and the screw is bending it down? Mine isn't sagging like that though...

#2471 3 days ago

One question... Has there been anyone out there who has rewritten the code to change the ruleset? I would like to see a change in the rules that you light the loop special during regular gameplay instead of only the bonus ball. Perhaps you can light special after completing all four sets of drop targets for the second time... and every two time after that.

#2472 3 days ago
Quoted from Davidlougy:

One question... Has there been anyone out there who has rewritten the code to change the ruleset? I would like to see a change in the rules that you light the loop special during regular gameplay instead of only the bonus ball. Perhaps you can light special after completing all four sets of drop targets for the second time... and every two time after that.

I haven't done that, but I made a small mod to change the extra ball to award points. Gives a fun little 'jackpot' to go for, especially if you get it at 3x during multiball

#2473 2 days ago
Quoted from Dezman:

I have seen 3 machines now that all have the same problem. The plastic on the left side of the machine all wrarps in the same way. I already have to order new plastics but want to avoid this on the new one. Is the light underneath too hot and melting the plastic in some small way? Not fitting properly and bending into place? Bent by ball hits?[quoted image]

On mine the upper right length of the plastic rides on top of the edge of the ramp, raising that edge up higher than where it would normally rest. Doesn't seem to be enough clearance for it to totally fit into that space between the side rail and the ramp. But in 30 years I never even noticed it until I just now looked so I don't see it as a big deal.

#2474 2 days ago
Quoted from Davidlougy:

You mean all 4 sets 3 times first time extra ball second time special? That's eminently doable. I've been toying around with ideas to have the on-playfield special light during the game too.

Not sure what else would have to light it, there's not a lot else on BK to work with - drop banks would have to be it.

#2475 2 days ago
Quoted from Dezman:

I have seen 3 machines now that all have the same problem. The plastic on the left side of the machine all wrarps in the same way. I already have to order new plastics but want to avoid this on the new one.
Is the light underneath too hot and melting the plastic in some small way? Not fitting properly and bending into place? Bent by ball hits?
Has anyone solved this on their black night?
[quoted image]

I have fixed a fair amount of distorting plastics using a heat gun and laying them between layers of scrap glass. To help reduce future distortion I do the following : change out to led to generate less heat, lay the plastic down and only install one screw and ensure the other remaining screw holes are fully inside the other plastic cut slots or holes. If a screw is installed with the screw hole off slightly it puts pressure on the plastic and it will eventually deform. File the holes slightly using a round file, Also don’t over tighten them as this will also cause them to bend up and cup.

#2476 1 day ago

Lol only code change I ever did was to make the pop bumper flash when you hit it. My skills for code are not great

There are 2476 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 50.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside