Quoted from Schwaggs:
That would be awesome of you! I for one am very interested.
I have a basket case BK that someone disassembled, trying to do a playfield swap and cabinet repaint. The paint job is not as good as I want so I was going to re-paint it but installing decals would be even better!
Printers had to reprint the vinyls because:
1. One image did not transfer properly from the PDF (they admitted that they had to fix it); and
2. The vinyl was super-glossy even though I had asked for an egg shell Sheen
My Lessons Learned in regards to the printing & application process:
1. Make sure that you ask for a top clear layer on top of the vinyl print - it makes the vinyl thicker and protects the print from scratches
2. Ask for scrap pieces of vinyl from the print shop. It was nice to be able to practice without the stress of ruining the final print!
3. Get a roller! Even the "soft" applicator the vinyl print shop gave me tended to make scratches. I put some velcro on one side of the applicator, and even then it was not foolproof.
4. Wet vs dry. Material was 3M Controltac for which I paid more ($284 before taxes), but I was told that it the longevity is much better. This material has channels to allow the air to exit ("air egress" feature). However, no matter what I did (with the practice pieces), I would still get the occasional air bubble. The 3M instructions said to avoid the wet method because there is no means for the water to dry if any of it gets trapped, However, the print shop highly recommended the wet method anyway. Since my cabinet had a layer of clear, and it was fairly flat, I went ahead, and used the "wet" method, using a light mist of water (with 2 drops of detergent per liter). Procedure was easy: the roller allowed me to fully push out any trapped water, and after 24 hours, I can attest that the vinyl has adhered to the cabinet very well and it was fully flat with no bubbles. Generally speaking, I used the procedure from Australia shown on youtube here (except I used far less water). Trimming just shy of the corner worked well.
5. I did not need to use an assistant. Separating the film was easy, and I used a trimmed piece of underlay to grab the end, and keep the end stiffso that the corners would not fold.
6. I used the triangles at bottom of each print to align the pieces with the cabinet, and it all lined up well.
7. I did not remove the rails, and simply trimmed around them. Worked well.
8. Total time to apply the vinyl: 5 hours. This excludes removing/re-installing the legs, and playing with the practice pieces of vinyl.1-20190913_190229 - Copy (resized).jpg2- 20190913_190241 - Copy (resized).jpg3- 20190914_122500 - Copy (resized).jpg4 - 20190914_131922 (resized).jpg5 - 20190914_121512 - Copy (resized).jpg6 - 20190914_122739 - Copy (resized).jpg7 - 20190914_150314 (resized).jpg8 - 20190914_133030 (resized).jpg9 - 20190914_133206 (resized).jpgA - 20190914_133434 (resized).jpgB - 20190914_135540 (resized).jpgC - 20190914_135804 (resized).jpgD - 20190915_083827 (resized).jpgE -20190915_083120 (resized).jpgF - 20190915_094830 - Copy (resized).jpgG - 20190915_083856 - Copy (resized).jpg