• Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_063905 (resized).jpg
20240423_060943 (resized).jpg
20240422_060912 (resized).jpg
Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
There are 3,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 65.
#151 9 years ago

Thanks Hans, that explains why I've never seen Special come on. I'll have to test that and the lower Extra Ball manually later.

#152 9 years ago

I just fixed my switch matrix problem, so BK is now back at 100%! Repair details, for future searchers:

My original problem was that all switches on row 5 registered active.The green/white wire was shorted somewhere. I jiggled the diode on the center coin drop switch, and the problem went away. Then I stupidly cut the diode off that switch while the game was on (it tested good, BTW). This zapped the switch matrix circuit, and now nothing worked. But after replacing IC17 (7406), the switch matrix came back to life. It was the last 7406 at Fry's! Anyway, to fix my original problem, I just cut the wire for the center coin drop. I can revisit that later, or just leave it - the left and right coin drop switches are good.

#153 9 years ago

Does anyone else have weak magnets? My balls wobble on the magnet when caught, and if they're moving decently fast they don't get caught at all. I'm also curious about what playfield angle everyone is using. I'm going to try 5%.

#154 9 years ago

Ball wobble at the magnet can be considered normal.

Make sure your ground wire(Wht/Red) from the playfield the the ground strap attachment point in the back box is present and tight.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm also curious about what playfield angle everyone is using. I'm going to try 5%.

All my games are 6.0-6.5' with upgraded flipper mechs for max speed.
-mof

#156 9 years ago

Mirror balls with a high chromium content don't get as much pull from the magnets. I always use regular carbon steel for any game with magnets. That's the most common reason I see for low magnet pull.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Mirror balls with a high chromium content don't get as much pull from the magnets. I always use regular carbon steel for any game with magnets. That's the most common reason I see for low magnet pull.

Ah, good point - I just got some brand new carbon steel balls; I'll switch those in.

#158 9 years ago

BK originally came with non-ribbed chrome legs. I finally tracked down my set in storage, so I can keep it original. I see lots of polishing in my afternoon.

#159 9 years ago

OK, so it seems that on my machine, at least, the lower playfield Extra Ball only comes on after the top one has been earned. In other words, the first pair of targets to be dropped 3 times lights Extra Ball in the left ramp horseshoe. That pair then gets reset. Knocking down another pair 3 times does nothing while the top EB is on but when I then knock down all 4 banks, 3 times each, with the upper EB still being lit, the lower playfield Extra Ball in the turnaround comes on. Does that sound about right?

#160 9 years ago

The IPDB entry has links to a Rulesheet and "Operator's Handbook":

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=310

Page 5 has the settings for EB difficulty, but no hints about the lower PF extra ball or replay.

#161 9 years ago

Even with all new lower flipper mechs, new rubber on the bats and new flipper button switches, I'm still feeling like my current 5,7 degrees is too steep. I can make the ramp shots but it seems a bit too rare. I think I may try around 5 degrees too, as the game seems plenty fast enough as it is, especially with the fresh rubber I just put on everything. I prefer to keep my games as they were originally designed, so I don't want to upgrade the flippers to later styles.

#162 9 years ago

Extra ball alternates locations. First one you earn is on the long left ramp, 2nd one on the lower playfield turnaround, 3rd on the left ramp, 4th on the turnaround. On default settings, first extra ball only needs you to finish either the top OR bottom set of drops 3 times each. Every subsequent extra ball you have to do all 4 sets of drops 3 times each.

Replay can only be earned by a high enough score, match, or special.

#163 9 years ago

Ahh, thanks Hans, that's a very clear explanation and matches what my machine is doing. I do have all adjustments currently set at the factory defaults.

#164 9 years ago

I'm loving my game at 6 degrees, but the 3 ramp shots are a bitch. Going to try 5 now.

EDIT: 28.5" legs on the back and 27.5" legs on the front gives me an angle of about 5.5 degrees (levelers all the way in). I can make all the ramps at this angle.

#165 9 years ago

I think I've figured out a great scoring strategy. Start 3-ball multiball with 2 balls up top, and one on the bottom. When the lower playfield ball goes over the left inlane switch, let a ball drop down the center ramp from the upper playfield, and collect TRIPLE the Mystery Gate value. Easy 200-300k.

(Apologies for all of my posts on this thread the last few days, but my BK hasn't been running for a long time, and I'm excited!)

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think I've figured out a great scoring strategy. Start 3-ball multiball with 2 balls up top, and one on the bottom. When the lower playfield ball goes over the left inlane switch, let a ball drop down the center ramp from the upper playfield, and collect TRIPLE the Mystery Gate value. Easy 200-300k.

oh crap that's genius.
OH, and I was very incorrect -- my BK is at 5'... (don't tell anyone)
-mof

#167 9 years ago

I just made basically that same scoring connection Swamp. I was reading somewhere and they mentioned that making the ramp shots in multi-ball is one of the big score keys, since they'll be 2x or 3x. So I've been aiming for multiball as often as possible, then trying to focus on the ramp shots. Good idea though on letting one fall through - gotta remember that!

I've gotten to where I just let multiplier bonuses happen as they will. Especially since a clockwise roll in the turnaround often drains on the left.

And that's good to hear mof - I will definitely come down a bit off the current 5.7 degrees.

#168 9 years ago

Anyone try super bands on BK with std flipper mechs

#169 9 years ago

I had Super bands on some of my BKs. Standard flipper mechs that had the return spring modded to the linear pull type. Could make the long left ramp no problem with a fairly steep pf angle.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Anyone try super bands on BK wire std flipper mechs

Yes. Yellow.

1 week later
#171 9 years ago

Im joining the Club, Got a dirty BK that has not seen the light of day for at least 12 years, time to go to work...
I get super excited every time I walk by it!

14809597468_32d6d7fc4d_b.jpg14809597468_32d6d7fc4d_b.jpg 14811180868_8c48ea7ae8_b.jpg14811180868_8c48ea7ae8_b.jpg 14973199716_603fd2a5b5_b.jpg14973199716_603fd2a5b5_b.jpg 14995616242_cc8480c01a_b.jpg14995616242_cc8480c01a_b.jpg
#172 9 years ago

Hello & Welcome, Reviving the BK from the wilderness keep the pics up

#173 9 years ago

Well put some super bands in, 1st up high score, more power off the bat for sure

#174 9 years ago

Thank you skywalker! Before I start, A few questions

1. flippers, should I upgrade these? as per seigecraft?

2. are there any good mods worth doing while Im taking everything apart and going back together ? (other than cliffy's protectors)

3. which shooter spring strength should I use?

4. pop bumper cap... is there a decal I can replace the old one with? (luckily this cap is not broken!)

Thank you guys!

#175 9 years ago

I'm happy with the std mechs & plays great, noticed some guys have upgraded, Up to you i guess,
those 2 added GI lamps looks like a nice upgrade IMO,
not sure if the cap is a flat surface to put a decal on

#176 9 years ago

You definitely want to see if the Bridge Rectifiers in the backbox have been fused. If not, you really need to do that. See Vid's article here on bulletproofing the System 7s.

I used a medium strength spring on my shooter - it seems to be more than enough but I am running at 5.5 degrees slope.

I did not upgrade my flippers and were I to do so, I would probably look into trying to get to a higher power flipper. I'm not sure if the Seigecraft mod accomplishes that or not. That said, I can make all the ramp shots if I do my part.

I don't think I have seen a decal for the pop bumper cap. Mine has the replacement cap, which does not have the scrollwork on the rim. If you ever have your cap off and have access to a scanner, I'd love a scan of the rim artwork. It'd be nice to try making a decal.

#177 9 years ago

Just had rottendog test and fix my boards. Great service from them by the way.

Getting ready to reassemble my BK and thought I'd clean up some wiring first. I have fuses for the rectifiers and ran a across this hack. I guess it's related to the transformer move and GI wiring that I saw in another thread. I can't locate it now does someone have it handy?

image-250.jpgimage-250.jpg

Also if there is someone in the Atlanta area that has brought one of these back to life let me know. I need some serious help! I have plenty of beer if you accept that as payment!

#178 9 years ago

I'm definitely going to add the 3 extra gi lights.

The original cap just has a printed decal on it. I can't find a repro anywhere, I'll just color it back in.

I will definitely bullet proof this sucker, I already ordered a new power supply

What more powerful flippers would you upgrade to?, maybe the bottom ones only of course.

I seem to be missing the green plastics next to the lower flippers, anyone have extras I could buy?!?

Siegecraft has a full doc on the original pop bumper remake . For the scrollwork anyway

Quoted from skywalker:

I'm happy with the std mechs & plays great, noticed some guys have upgraded, Up to you i guess,
those 2 added GI lamps looks like a nice upgrade IMO,
not sure if the cap is a flat surface to put a decal on

Quoted from Toyguy:

You definitely want to see if the Bridge Rectifiers in the backbox have been fused. If not, you really need to do that. See Vid's article here on bulletproofing the System 7s.
I used a medium strength spring on my shooter - it seems to be more than enough but I am running at 5.5 degrees slope.
I did not upgrade my flippers and were I to do so, I would probably look into trying to get to a higher power flipper. I'm not sure if the Seigecraft mod accomplishes that or not. That said, I can make all the ramp shots if I do my part.
I don't think I have seen a decal for the pop bumper cap. Mine has the replacement cap, which does not have the scrollwork on the rim. If you ever have your cap off and have access to a scanner, I'd love a scan of the rim artwork. It'd be nice to try making a decal.

#179 9 years ago

My rollover switches are old and ratty and unreliable, so I'm replacing them all with microswitches. Kind of a pain to order; I got the brackets from Marco and the switches from PBL.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My rollover switches are old and ratty and unreliable, so I'm replacing them all with microswitches. Kind of a pain to order; I got the brackets from Marco and the switches from PBL.

Would you mind posting part numbers and quantity? I may go ahead with this too while shopping everything

Speaking of shopping this out... I'm considering cleaning the playfield really good and completely stripping it down.

There's only one worn place where the manga save is. So I'm considering giving it a clear coat. Does anyone have any suggestions, or tips?

#181 9 years ago

Hey Chosen, I have some MagnaSave decals I can mail to you, no charge. Let me know if you want them, just PM me your address. I'll post links to switch parts today, after I confirm that I ordered the right thing.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I seem to be missing the green plastics next to the lower flippers, anyone have extras I could buy?!?

Those didn't come on the game, they were something Alan Meyer made back in the day.
He also made repro hot stamped caps but those as well as originals are almost impossible to find.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

There's only one worn place where the manga save is. So I'm considering giving it a clear coat. Does anyone have any suggestions, or tips?

If you are OK at touch ups and clear coating, then I say go for it. I'm on my third BK right now;

P1000992.JPGP1000992.JPG

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Would you mind posting part numbers and quantity? I may go ahead with this too while shopping everything.

OK, I just posted this as a guide in the tech section:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guide-upgrading-early-ss-rollover-switches-to-microswitches

#185 9 years ago

Locked in, thank you!

Quoted from LEE:

If you are OK at touch ups and clear coating, then I say go for it. I'm on my third BK right now

That's looking pretty, I think I may do it =O

#186 9 years ago

I don't suppose any other owners here have ever ran across a scoring issue where you get awarded 1,000,000 points after a minute of gameplay?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-system-7-switch-matrix-issues/page/3#post-1897606

Just wondering.

Can't wait to participate in this thread beyond "My BK is broken and I hate it but also love it."

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from RDM:

Can't wait to participate in this thread beyond "My BK is broken and I hate it but also love it."

I have had 5 BK machines, and have never gotten past this point, LOL.

Chris

#188 9 years ago

I've got a favour to ask...

Does anyone have a picture of the grounding nut and surrounding area located in the backbox? I need to know where the braided grounding strap comes from that connects the back box to ground. I know I have one running from the lower cabinet, but I think that's it. It's possible that's the source of my continued frustrations with this machine.

Cheers for any contributions as they come in.

#189 9 years ago

2 grounded wires for sure, sorry cant take a pic now, will later if needed

#190 9 years ago

Here's mine - 2 connections but only 1 braid.

DSCN0873.JPGDSCN0873.JPG

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Here's mine - 2 connections but only 1 braid.

DSCN0873.JPG 176 KB

Mine is the same as this. ! braid, and one wire to the wing nut connection.

Chris

#192 9 years ago

Cool, so is it safe to assume that the white/red stripe is the one that supplies ground to the backbox?

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from RDM:

Cool, so is it safe to assume that the white/red stripe is the one that supplies ground to the backbox?

The Wht w/ Red wire is for the playfield ground. It is there to help with the magna save magnets. I have only heard of problems with magna save not working properly when it is missing, not phantom scoring.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have had 5 BK machines, and have never gotten past this point, LOL.
Chris

LOL.. Thanks for that

#195 9 years ago

Fellow members, I need a favor

I wonder if some of you might play a game or two (I know, rough assignment) and let me know your thoughts on the following topic...

I just put a new Kohout Enterprises driver board in my BK. All of the game functions seem to work fine, but I swear some sounds are being cut off or not played. I wonder if someone might test these two scenarios in particular. Get a drop target timer started, then listen carefully to the other targets when you hit them. Is the game cutting the hit sound short or not playing it at all while the timer sound is running? Start another timer, and drain the ball down the outlane. Does the gallop sound not play or get cut short?

I'd appreciate some input on this before I contact the vendor. It could be that I may being overly touchy about it since it's new, but to me it sounds different.

Thanks!
Dave

#196 9 years ago

Toyguy, I'll check it tomorrow night - but the driver board doesn't interact with the sound board in any way, I thought (?). FWIW, all 4 of my boards are Kohut and all of the sounds are correct on mine. I'll grab an audio recording of the scenarios you described though.

#197 9 years ago

Thanks swamp. Listening to some Youtube videos it's tough to tell the timing but I think I am seeing and hearing similar things. The 2 that caught my ear, so to speak, were the gallops on the outlane with a timer going, and the lack of a hit sound on the lower playfield drops with a timer going.

I didn't think the driver had anything to do with sound either but it must have to pass hit signals and switch closures to the CPU in some way. I can't put a finger on it, as I say, but it seems off somehow - like maybe the timing isn't right. I dunno... May be completely normal. If push comes to shove, I'll put the Williams back in and try it, listening more critically.

#198 9 years ago

New member of the BK club. I picked up a very dirty BK this past week with a very flaky backglass. Wanted to ask the members their opinion on finding a replacement. Do I look for a BG in better condition than mine (little hope finding one), live with what I have or invest +$300 in a new one? I bought the game right, so I guess I can justify the money but with shipping it would be over $400 to my front door. Mayfair said they would be at York, so I could try to find someone that's going in my area to bring it home and save the shipping costs. Thoughts?

Steve

#199 9 years ago

Finding a better one will be tough I think. Locating one in decent shape that's available by itself is probably going to be rare and you'll likely pay just as much or near to it. I bought a Mayfair for mine and I will say this - it's a beautiful thing. Put some blue LEDs at the top and it looks just fabulous on the machine. It's probably the best money I spent on mine. Note that the camera tends to make the LEDs look spotty but you don't see that in person. My old one was well flaked, spray painted and looked like crap.

I don't think you'd regret it

Dave
DSCN0819.JPGDSCN0819.JPG

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Damn useful info if you ask me, can you include a pic to show this bizarre similarity?
-mof

Delayed, but here are pics of the connector potential issue.

On earlier models, these plugs were BOTH white. The model I have they had changed one to black. I don't remember which is the 5V and which is the 100V, but it really matters not.

Anyway, the plugs as they are on my current machine:

DSCF8648.JPGDSCF8648.JPG

The wires are different, but when you're in a hurry, you may not notice immediately....

DSCF8649.JPGDSCF8649.JPG

But trust me, you can certainly interchange them easily if you're not paying attention:

DSCF8650.JPGDSCF8650.JPG

Just be careful

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 3,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 65.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.