Topic Stats

• 1,916 posts
  • 185 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Jim4MillionBC
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 629 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C2141A35-1864-4D1B-B85E-AAD5E6D9AF90 (resized).jpeg
73C59978-6A9F-407F-AFC1-108C9CDFFC3C (resized).jpeg
45481748-8BD2-4B22-800F-FB67FEBFADA9 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7137 (resized).JPG
IMG_7136 (resized).JPG
IMG_7135 (resized).JPG
IMG_7134 (resized).JPG
IMG_7133 (resized).JPG
IMG_7132 (resized).JPG
e (resized).jpg
IMG_7110 (resized).JPG
IMG_7111 (resized).JPG
IMG_7059 (resized).JPG
IMG_7044 (resized).JPG
IMG_7028 (resized).JPG
IMG_7027 (resized).JPG

There are 1916 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 39.
#1801 61 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Chris Hibler here at Pinside has a good reputation here as a board repair tech.
The Coin-Op Cauldron does good work, as well.
I definitely recommend having your original boards repaired instead of buying new 3rd party replacements. Some are good, but original boards are usually quite reliable once they've been gone through by a good tech.

Even tho they have repair prices posted on their website, I was sad to learn this weekend that The Coin-Op Cauldron no longer repairs early Bally MPUs even if they're free of corrosion and previous non-professional repairs. Here's a portion of the email I got after I inquired about sending one in:

"We no longer repair -17 or -35 CPU boards due to their age and always recommend Altek boards as a replacement."

They still do Williams boards, so you may still be in luck!

#1802 61 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Even tho they have repair prices posted on their website, I was sad to learn this weekend that The Coin-Op Cauldron no longer repairs early Bally MPUs even if they're free of corrosion and previous non-professional repairs. Here's a portion of the email I got after I inquired about sending one in:
"We no longer repair -17 or -35 CPU boards due to their age and always recommend Altek boards as a replacement."
They still do Williams boards, so you may still be in luck!

Weird, you'd think those would be the easiest ones. I guess it may just not be worth the time though anymore to do a full bulletproofing...

#1803 56 days ago

Need part # information for this ball gate bracket please. .

20190428_095152 (resized).jpg
#1804 56 days ago
Quoted from prefontaine79:

[quoted image]

Looks like it may be A-11622. Out of stock at Marco's, tho. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-11622

#1805 56 days ago

Thankyou. Someone replaced mine with a spinner that registers. If i didnt watch so many youtube vids of gameplay i wouldnt have caught it. Will keep looking but that is closest i have seen to a match!

#1807 55 days ago

Do you also have a spinner on the left ramp, or is it a gate? When I first got my BK I removed parts from the playfield to clean, polish, etc. and I accidentally swapped the gate and spinner: They fit and register in either location, but only after several games did I realize my mistake and swapped them back.

#1808 55 days ago

[quoted image]

1) 12-6484 switch wire form rod.
2) 12-6505 roll under wire form actuator.
3) 01-6644 roll under bracket

3 weeks later
#1809 34 days ago

I was going through my Black Knight test mode to check a solenoid problem and noticed that when I was going through the sound check it was silent on sound #5. According to my manual there should be sounds on 00,01,02,03,04,05. Does anybody know what this sound is and how I would get it back??
Thanks.
Bryan

#1810 33 days ago

need help with my slings the solenoids are not firing. not sure where to start thnx

#1811 33 days ago
Quoted from frunch:

Chris Hibler here at Pinside has a good reputation here as a board repair tech.
The Coin-Op Cauldron does good work, as well.
I definitely recommend having your original boards repaired instead of buying new 3rd party replacements. Some are good, but original boards are usually quite reliable once they've been gone through by a good tech.

I agree! All my used games the boards get shipped to coin op cauldron for a repair/refurb. I’d rather not have to deal with a board issue while I own it

#1812 33 days ago

need help with my slings the solenoids are not firing. not sure where to start thnx

Do the work in test?

#1813 33 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do the work in test?

Maybe a break with the common black ground to the switches?

#1814 33 days ago

Thankyou. Will check the ground. But I think something bigger is wrong. Was optimistic when I swapped the original power supply board with a newer one (gulf). Before the swap i couldnt get a ball from the trough. New board and wah la i had a game going. With either of the boards i am getting a weird thing with the audio where it plays all the defender type music in an escslating panic. I can record this if anyone is interested and post it. Displays are being wacky also.
So the slings arent working and nor is the pop bumper up top. Drop targets and multiball progress all doing what they should be so thats a positive.
I cant get the game into proper test from the coin door. Pushing the test buttons it wants to go into test but i cant get the solenoid test i am looking for..i think i need to send the remaining boards out possibly but i still have one crispy connector repair to do before i do that
Thanks for any help i feel like i am closer

#1815 33 days ago

Also, the panicky audio stops when i start a game and all the audio is normal after that. Audio test button on audio board is in a higher voiced octave than while in a game

#1816 31 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

1) 12-6484 switch wire form rod.
2) 12-6505 roll under wire form actuator.
3) 01-6644 roll under bracket

Did anyone find the “bracket” or top part to hold the spinner or wire arm? I thought they were unobtainium now, which is why someone suggested a work clamp section, cut and bent. I still need to do that to mine.

#1817 30 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did anyone find the “bracket” or top part to hold the spinner or wire arm? I thought they were unobtainium now, which is why someone suggested a work clamp section, cut and bent. I still need to do that to mine.

Unobtanium yes. Tried all the suppliers and also called Pinball resource. Looks like i will be making one

#1818 30 days ago

Time for a bit of a long-term report on my own machine.

It's been 6-7 years since I've done my CPR playfield swap. Other than occasional light cleaning the game never really needed much. Took it to MGC last month and it got played almost non-stop for two days...... so things got a bit dirty finally and it's time for a good cleaning. I have to say, considering how much play this machine gets, the CPR playfield is holding up fantastic.

Needed a couple minor repairs after the show too. One of the drop-target tension springs broke. A couple of other leaf switches need replacement, due to the 1980 backwards rivets. Due for a new set of balls as well. 10 years on, the MOSFET swap on the driver board is still working flawlessly.

The rubber rings are starting to crack all over the place and time for a fresh set. Anybody done any colored silicone rings in a BK at all? I'm going to put a Titan set in the machine this time and I'm tempted to do some color combos. Might just stick with original white as well, haven't decided yet.

-Hans

#1819 28 days ago

Got this yesterday!! looks like i got lots of reading to do in this Black knight topic now lol.

61251192_10161614058145214_3102255668174782464_n (resized).jpg61353713_10161614058210214_7940833491611025408_n (resized).jpg61467329_10161614058175214_1834187344492625920_n (resized).jpg
#1820 27 days ago

That upper playfield looks to be in pretty good condition

#1821 27 days ago

All things look good on it. I do have one issue that has happened a few times. During play the machine will randomly go into tilt mode. I checked all switches and nothing looks like it’s making contact.

#1822 27 days ago

The switch test even shows no issues

#1823 27 days ago

Check your coin door switches. The wireforms get goofed around with a lot, and can cause oddball intermittent switch matrix issues.

#1824 27 days ago

All switches seem to be fine.

#1825 26 days ago

Game did it 2 times during my first few games but as the night went on it never happened again, and that was about a few dozen games. Is Vids bulletproofing the Williams system 7 posts still the go to for updating these boards ? i noticed its quite old but still seems to have some traffic thu the topic.

#1826 26 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Game did it 2 times during my first few games but as the night went on it never happened again, and that was about a few dozen games. Is Vids bulletproofing the Williams system 7 posts still the go to for updating these boards ? i noticed its quite old but still seems to have some traffic thu the topic.

Sounds like a reset problem. Could be a cold solder joint on one of the boards, or a bad 40 pin, or bad ROM sockets - basically any of the items in the bulletproofing thread. For the best long-term health of the machine, all the updates are recommended.

#1827 26 days ago

I think i will do a order and get all the suggested items and fully rebuild the boards and see what happens. Also a few times yesterday the GI lights during play would flicker of and on all at once.

#1828 26 days ago

Something missing here ? What’s with the extended post ?

F2A873BE-C6FF-490F-816E-372CF2EBD5A7 (resized).jpeg
#1829 26 days ago

Mine has that too

#1830 26 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Something missing here ? What’s with the extended post ?

Mine has that, too. I've seen it on every BK - no idea what it is/was for.

#1831 26 days ago

Oh I’m full of questions..... where would this go ?

B817013A-5D3C-4C2D-8796-A3949F10FADB (resized).png
#1832 26 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Oh I’m full of questions..... where would this go ?[quoted image]

Right here. I also bought that "missing" piece about a year ago and I still haven't put it on yet! Next tear-down and wax, I'll get it on there....

BK Missing Plastic.jpg
#1833 25 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Mine has that, too. I've seen it on every BK - no idea what it is/was for.

I think it's supposed to knock the ball off into the shooter lane, just in case it happens to find itself rolling down the outer wood rail, otherwise the ball will end up sitting on the plunger gauge. Most if not all Williams games have them. I'm always amazed at where the ball finds itself after a good bounce.

#1834 19 days ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Anybody done any colored silicone rings in a BK at all?

Someone has done this. I'm pretty sure I recall orange or red rings on someone's game. It looked really sharp. I just checked the photo gallery quickly but couldn't find it. Have a look yourself and see if I just missed it.

Update: Found them. It was epeabs that used black and orange. Search this thread for his posts and pictures...

#1835 19 days ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Someone has done this. I'm pretty sure I recall orange or red rings on someone's game. It looked really sharp. I just checked the photo gallery quickly but couldn't find it.

I've used orange & yellow rings on my Black Knight

P1000292a (resized).JPGSnap869 (resized).jpgSnap870 (resized).jpgSnap871 (resized).jpg
#1836 18 days ago

Black Knight PinBlades are coming...

Get on our wait list! So you know when they are available!

61951139_10219861989567120_4402932908281561088_o (resized).jpg
#1837 18 days ago
Quoted from pinupgirl1975:

Black Knight PinBlades are coming...
Get on our wait list! So you know when they are available![quoted image]

Love it - but will there be a PowerBladez version of this one and/or of a different design?

#1838 18 days ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Love it - but will there be a PowerBladez version of this one and/or of a different design?

@therudyb Do you not like the design? Here it is in completion with both sides. Just finished. Just imagine these Animated they are going to sick!!!! We should have some printed in a few days. The printer is down at the shop! Waiting for a part.

If anyone wants to get these PM me with your email...and I will put you on the mailing list once they become available.

OR

If you want you can always Pre-Order the PINBLADES $79.99 or Animated PowerBladez - $269 for the first 10 orders!

Same process as above except PM me your mailing address as well for invoicing!

Thanks everyone!

Have a great day!

BK (resized).png
#1839 18 days ago

I like the design, but this is the William's Black Knight Club thread, so it isn't going to fit.

#1840 18 days ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I like the design, but this is the William's Black Knight Club thread, so it isn't going to fit.

black_knight Ooops! Honestly... I didn't look at the linked games LOL Thank you for letting me know though! I already alerted Joe to let him know we need to make a version for this one too!

Trying to get my hands on one of these bad boys!

~ G

#1841 18 days ago

@therudyb Do you not like the design? Here it is in completion with both sides. Just finished. Just imagine these Animated they are going to sick!!!! We should have some printed in a few days. The printer is down at the shop! Waiting for a part.[quoted image]

No - I absolutely love the design ... just didn't know if this was the art specifically for a PinBlades version and there was a different package coming for the PowerBladez. Believe me, I'll be 100% satisfied and overjoyed with this same design animated!!!

#1842 18 days ago

I like the idea for the original 1980.... but it’s gotta blend with the original artwork. Totally different feel than the new Stern game.

#1843 18 days ago

I got this beat up beauty last weekend. I played a few games before taking her apart to do some major surgery. I’m thinking about leaving the cabinet alone for nostalgia (I’ll touch up a few spots here and there and apply a clear coat...maybe?) I do plan on making the playfield & mechanics 100% though

Plans for the game

1. Get the game mechanically tuned fixing various issues. (Loose flippers, leaf switches not functioning etc...)

2. Do a complete tear down of the playfield(s) and apply a Hardtop (any suggestions on this? I heard there are a lot of pros and cons.)

3. Repair, maintain, or replace all plastics, rubbers, & parts that need replacing.

4. Pull all circuit boards out and rebuild/ repair & clean,

5. Clean & buff out all metal parts

Any suggestions on what could be done to improve this machine? She’s had a tough life and is still kicking! I already fixed the battery corrosion issues on the circuit board & I’m in process of re seating/cleaning up all the connections.

EC12B70A-DE24-4CC7-835B-72BD750D7C8E (resized).jpegD656BB6C-F8D3-4995-9315-48CDEE41D9E0 (resized).jpegD408454F-73B3-4204-88BB-0A8A7645E25A (resized).jpegD0D03715-B4A8-4EE8-ACA4-39DB5DCCF84E (resized).jpegE89E2DBC-7B54-4774-BFAE-94F833A13BEB (resized).jpeg09BDDBCD-3042-4D99-A18D-EE721D1CA3B0 (resized).jpeg79F1594A-7C1D-4FC0-96D8-A9CCF5D761B2 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpg
#1844 18 days ago

I'd service it *minimally* for safety (battery acid, and fuse upgrades), and make it playable (new rubbers), and be ready to sell it when a better example comes along, nothing wrong at ALL of having a ready-to-play first pin available for someone getting started for $800...

These come up for sale monthly in better condition than this.

-mof

#1845 17 days ago

Just finished hard top intallation and cab decals.

20190602_124821 (resized).jpg20190602_124851 (resized).jpg
#1846 17 days ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Just finished hard top intallation and cab decals.

Nice. How well did your hardtop installation go? Did you have to make any modifications? I put one in my Mata Hari a few months ago and it went great - only issues with fit was that I needed to dremel out several holes in the hardtop that were mis-aligned and a couple that were missing altogether. I'm thinking about putting one in my Black Knight now, but I'm worried about the smoothness of the transitions from the base of the ramps and the hardtop (as demonstrated in Cary Hardy's YouTube video) and my limited abilities to overcome them.

How was the alignment of the hardtop insert areas over the inserts themselves? Any bare wood showing or did you paint around the inserts first before applying the hardtop as insurance?

Those are decals on your cab and not a stencil repaint? Where did you get the cab decals?

#1847 17 days ago

Why would you decal a game that has stencils

#1848 17 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Why would you decal a game that has stencils

zacaj I was thinking the same! I guess it's just easier than having to paint it over?

#1849 17 days ago

zacaj I was thinking the same! I guess it's just easier than having to paint it over?

Maybe for someone not experienced with paint work and the typical pitfalls (sourcing the correct colors, having a place to paint, overspray, drips, equipment - use cans or compress air?, time, potential for screwing up a layer and needing to start over, clearing, etc) applying a vinyl decal is attractive if there is no significant cabinet repair work needed. I myself would think about it if the economics worked out in the decal's favor and the end result had the look and feel of a modern Stern pin. The one pin I stenciled a while back took me over three weeks to do while I combated weather and temperature conditions and the little painting hiccups that you encounter along the way. I don't see more than a couple hours of work applying 5 decals (cabinet sides, backbox sides, and cabinet front) including trimming.

#1850 17 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Maybe for someone not experienced with paint work and the typical pitfalls (sourcing the correct colors, having a place to paint, overspray, drips, equipment - use cans or compress air?, time, potential for screwing up a layer and needing to start over, clearing, etc) applying a vinyl decal is attractive if there is no significant cabinet repair work needed. I myself would think about it if the economics worked out in the decal's favor and the end result had the look and feel of a modern Stern pin. The one pin I stenciled a while back took me over three weeks to do while I combated weather and temperature conditions and the little painting hiccups that you encounter along the way. I don't see more than a couple hours of work applying 5 decals (cabinet sides, backbox sides, and cabinet front) including trimming.

mathazar Yes, make sense. With decals you don't have to worry about it chipping anymore either. It definitely shouldn't take that long to apply... I've seen joeraptor2003 apply our decals on cabinets before, and it seems to look like it can be a little stressful and definitely takes some precision but, you have to just take your time! It always comes out looking stellar!

Anyway, I think his machine looks great! Can wait to see the finished product! I love watching a machine get a restoration. You guys on here are so dedicated and talented. It's very inspiring.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Trade
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Thorndale, PA
$ 279.95
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 279.95
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1916 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 39.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside