• Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_063905 (resized).jpg
20240423_060943 (resized).jpg
20240422_060912 (resized).jpg
Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
There are 3,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 65.
#1751 5 years ago

Perfect! I did find one that was threaded with wood threads but it had a hex head. Thank you. Nearly stripped. Now to separate the two PF

21976908-9F0D-41A3-8210-BAE711421AF6 (resized).jpeg21976908-9F0D-41A3-8210-BAE711421AF6 (resized).jpeg
#1752 5 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Good evening.
In process and stripping the playfield for a Hard Top install. There are several of these posts. Does anyone know if they are threaded into the wood? I removed the nut in back side but it’s in there right. Since no head for a socket I’m presuming it’s jist held in place by the nut. Best practice for removing?
[quoted image]

They should just be held by the nut, maybe try tapping them up from below the pf with a small screw driver that fits in the hole.

#1753 5 years ago

Well with the new Black Knight just announced by Stern...will it increase or decrease the value of this classic?

#1754 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Well with the new Black Knight just announced by Stern...will it increase or decrease the value of this classic?

Neither I would think

#1755 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

I would think it would peak the interest of people not familiar with BK or BK2K or entice some to collect the whole trilogy (depending how cool the new one is or reminiscent of the 2 prequels).

With almost 14,000 BKs produced they are still a pretty easy game to find. Therefore demand may increase slightly, but supply is fairly high.

#1756 5 years ago

It doesn't seem like a valid black knight as the pro doesn't have two levels. Looks like a combo of GOT pro and t2 to me. Still want to play it though.

#1757 5 years ago

The value of BK lies in how much we enjoy playing it.

#1758 5 years ago
Quoted from dmgambone:

Hello everyone. Just joined pinside.com after I acquired a non-working Black Knight at an auction. I brought it home to start some investigation on what was wrong, and turned it on. Unfortunately, it turns out that who ever assembled the Black Knight mixed the black/white connectors in the backbox. I'm sure I don't have to say the damage that caused when I turned it on. One of the chips burned (see attached picture) and smoked and who knows what else was fried.
So now I'm in search for replacement boards. I'd actually like to replace all the boards to start clean and avoid any other issues. I tried to figure out what are the boards, but I see that Rottendog no longer supports a replacement board. Then I found another company (I believe they are called Kohout Enterprise), but no one seems to have those either.
So I'm hoping someone here can offer a suggestion of where I can go to get replacement boards for Black Knight.
I appreciate any assistance.
[quoted image]

I have found myself in the same situation as you, have you received any response on this or found a work around?
Jim

#1759 5 years ago

The only replacements I know of right now are the "nw7" boards. The reviews are good and include the sound and speech boards.

One interesting thing, you can change the sounds and enable "jukebox function". No other boards for 3-7 I know of let you change the sound/music files.

A little pricy but considering they replace everything but the power supply might be ok. One thread says they work in Black Knight fine. Here's the search and one thread includes a link.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&what=posts&q=Nw7&topic-machine=&pinsider=&age_days=&subforum=0&sort_by=date&sort_order=DESC#results

Here us the manual in English.

https://www.pinball-dreams.com/images/NW7-Documentation-EN.pdf

#1760 5 years ago
Quoted from Brdmanstl:

I have found myself in the same situation as you, have you received any response on this or found a work around?
Jim

Rottondog makes a replacement CPU/Driver board but it has known issues with Black Knight and is not supported - so I would stay away from this option.

NW7 board like Travish pointed out.

Send your boards off to be repaired - the damage may not be as extensive as you would think. There are going to be blown chips for sure but it should be repairable.

Buy rebuilt original boards from someone on Pinside or eBay.

#1761 5 years ago

just Joined this club! excited to get to work on it. its working but needs work. Want a new playfield but this one isn't bad..some where on right magna save and on some of the black outlines of inserts. Surely the cpr version has come and gone? lol anyone got one available?

#1762 5 years ago

I think there's another company running new BK playfields soon, Mirco possibly? Hardtop may also eventually become an option as well.

#1763 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

just Joined this club! excited to get to work on it. its working but needs work. Want a new playfield but this one isn't bad..some where on right magna save and on some of the black outlines of inserts. Surely the cpr version has come and gone? lol anyone got one available?

Welcome to the club!

Yes, the CPR Black Knight playfields are pretty tough to come by and if you find one, expect to pay...

While I wouldn't recommend this for a "decent condition" playfield, the Hard Top that frunch mentioned is available for Black Knight. You need to destroy the original art on playfield to install the hardtop so this is a really good option for games with a trashed playfield.

http://www.pinballgifts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html

#1764 5 years ago

Fuse blown - Rectifier problem or something else?

Turned on my BK the other day and could not get a game started. Was working just fine previously. Attract mode was still working, but no ball ejected. Turns out the F2 fuse blew. Have been going down the troubleshooting route, but I have run out of fuses. Found a few posts mentioning using circuit breakers temporarily, so I have a few sizes in the mail.

I can't pin down exactly when the fuse blows, and it isn't an obvious blow either. No flash of light, no break in the inside wire, I can only tell it is blown by pulling and using the DMM. Whatever is causing it, I am assuming it is not a huge short that draws a considerable amount of voltage.

One thing I did was take a look at the bridge rectifiers. From what I am reading, the left rectifier should be at 28vdc and the right rectifier should be at 18vdc. When I measure, I am showing the left rectifier at 43vdc and the right at 16.6vdc. Not surprisingly, I get the same 43vdc at the fuse lug as well. Would the higher voltage (43 instead of 28) cause the fuse to blow or am I better off looking elsewhere?

If I need to replace them, does anyone know the part numbers? I can find the rectifiers listed in the manual, but not seeing actual part numbers.

Thanks!

#1765 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Welcome to the club!
Yes, the CPR Black Knight playfields are pretty tough to come by and if you find one, expect to pay...
While I wouldn't recommend this for a "decent condition" playfield, the Hard Top that frunch mentioned is available for Black Knight. You need to destroy the original art on playfield to install the hardtop so this is a really good option for games with a trashed playfield.
http://www.pinballgifts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html

Thankyou!

having sound issues currently
when i flip on the power switch the game makes a sequence of crazy sounds like its about to go into lift-off but when i push start button everything goes mute..had sound at the sellers home and during first game when i brought it home but it cut out mid game. any input helps thnx

#1766 5 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

Fuse blown - Rectifier problem or something else?
Turned on my BK the other day and could not get a game started. Was working just fine previously. Attract mode was still working, but no ball ejected. Turns out the F2 fuse blew. Have been going down the troubleshooting route, but I have run out of fuses. Found a few posts mentioning using circuit breakers temporarily, so I have a few sizes in the mail.
I can't pin down exactly when the fuse blows, and it isn't an obvious blow either. No flash of light, no break in the inside wire, I can only tell it is blown by pulling and using the DMM. Whatever is causing it, I am assuming it is not a huge short that draws a considerable amount of voltage.
One thing I did was take a look at the bridge rectifiers. From what I am reading, the left rectifier should be at 28vdc and the right rectifier should be at 18vdc. When I measure, I am showing the left rectifier at 43vdc and the right at 16.6vdc. Not surprisingly, I get the same 43vdc at the fuse lug as well. Would the higher voltage (43 instead of 28) cause the fuse to blow or am I better off looking elsewhere?
If I need to replace them, does anyone know the part numbers? I can find the rectifiers listed in the manual, but not seeing actual part numbers.
Thanks!

I'll be curious to know if/how you track this down. My BK blows F2 every once in while - it's done it 3 times in the last 2 months (almost daily use). The first time I encountered this it blew F2 every time I power on, 5 or 6 times in a row, until I pulled the playfield cables up out of the cab area away from the transformer cage and up into the backbox. My voltages are within the norm on the power supply.

#1767 5 years ago

1) Check the bridge diodes... are they even ? or are some diodes way off?
2) Replace the caps that control the +5v reg. IC... The caps go bad causing irregular power ups.

#1768 5 years ago

The power supply caps were replaced less than a year ago. They are good.

What do you mean about checking the bridge diodes?

#1769 5 years ago

I'm currently running black knight playfields. They will be available as regular and glitter versions. Both should be ready end of April.

All versions will feature the original diamond faceted inserts.

Regards,
Mirco

#1770 5 years ago

Is there a link for repro metal ramps? I have seen the mod ones with lights, but just the regular old metal, but shiny new metal, is what I am looking for
thanks

#1771 5 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

I'm currently running black knight playfields. They will be available as regular and glitter versions. Both should be ready end of April.
Regards,
Mirco

What's the difference between regular and glitter versions? I couldn't find a description your website.

#1772 5 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Regards,
Mirco

how much will they be in u.s. currency and is there a pre order list?

#1773 5 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

The power supply caps were replaced less than a year ago. They are good.
What do you mean about checking the bridge diodes?

Sometimes a diode on the bridge gets to be leaky and lets AC voltage mix with the DC voltage.
The small power supply caps can go bad... Sometimes by bad manufacturing process.
You should have approximately +14.6 volt dc to the anode of D1.
You should have approximately +26.2 volts dc to pins 11&12 of IC 1.
You should have approximately +6.27 volts dc at pin 10 of IC 1.
IC 1 output:
Pin 2 approximately +4.95 dc
Pin 3 approximately +5.05 dc
Pin 4 approximately +5.02 dc
I would check the power supply with out the CPU/SND/Display boards plugged into the
--power supply.
You do not want to short and blowup any boards; it happened to me a very long time ago.
I had to change a capacitor that was already changed before... the game was spastic and
would not boot correctly...

#1774 5 years ago

Those of you with F2 blowing, try turning the game on with the fuse removed, once it starts up, carefully install the fuse (there are high voltages on the power supply board) and see if it blows.

If it does not blow, you may have a problem with the blanking circuit. This circuit is supposed to disable all the solenoids and displays for a the instant the game is powering up where solenoids and such may fire inadvertently when chips are in an uninitalized state.

Also, make sure you are using slow blow fuses.

#1775 5 years ago

Thankyou!
having sound issues currently
when i flip on the power switch the game makes a sequence of crazy sounds like its about to go into lift-off but when i push start button everything goes mute..had sound at the sellers home and during first game when i brought it home but it cut out mid game. any input helps thnx

Reseat the connectors on the power supply board and lower left of the driver board to see if that changes anything.

#1776 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Is there a link for repro metal ramps? I have seen the mod ones with lights, but just the regular old metal, but shiny new metal, is what I am looking for
thanks

The ramps are stainless. Unless your original ramps are bent or destroyed take fine grit wet sandpaper and regrain them by sanding longwise. They will be just like new.

#1777 5 years ago

@vec-tor

The power supply seems OK. Not exact, but I assume within 1980's tolerance.

D1 = 13.8 one side and 26.5 on the other

For IC 1
11 & 12 = 26.6
10 = 6.5
2 = 5
3 = 4.8
4 = 4.8

@schwaggs
I found some other posts that mention this a while ago. When I turn the game on and check with the probe, the blanking circuit is low for maybe a second or so, then there is a very fast blip to high, then it goes low again. I have a bunch more fuses and a circuit breaker coming tomorrow. I can check inserting a fuse with the game running later.

1 week later
#1778 5 years ago

I am following up on my post. After getting the circuit breaker and hooking it up to the fuse position, when I turned on the game the lower right coil energized and locked on. I tested the board for for voltage and did a logic probe on the solenoid IC, resisters and both transistors. Moving on to the playfield I replaced the diode, soldered the wire and confirmed the grey/orange wire was showing continuity to the back box and was getting ground. Long story short, I failed to recognize that low signal on the logic probe is not the same a no signal. The center post on the driver transistor for coil 3 was showing low signal, where the other transistors were showing no signal. Replacing the transistor has the game working 100%.

Thank you for your help. For anyone with similar issues in the future, when the research tells you to test the pre driver transistor and the driver transistor, be sure to check it at least twice and take the time to understand what your data tells you. Almost every post I read said that a transistor was the most likely culprit, but I thought I had ruled that out.

#1779 5 years ago

Could someone please tell me what these 2 wires I am holding supply power to down in the playfield? Also would like to know part number to replace plug/connector. I was not the one who soldered these permanently in place. Thankyou in advance!

20190409_204031 (resized).jpg20190409_204031 (resized).jpg
#1780 5 years ago

1 or both of those wires were super hot and caused this!

20190409_192441 (resized).jpg20190409_192441 (resized).jpg20190409_192500 (resized).jpg20190409_192500 (resized).jpg
#1781 5 years ago

GI lighting. But impossible to tell in the photo where in the playfield or headbox that particular circuit goes to.
Extremely common to see the failed connectors on the power supply board, rare to see the mid-wiring connector fail.

Realistically, system 7 machines need to have a significant number of the GI lights converted to LED's or lower amperage bulbs to prevent the problems you are seeing. The machines, as designed, have excessive amperage going through the GI circuits and it results in near universal failure of those connectors.

#1782 5 years ago

Agreed - and to make matters worse, they fused all the GI circuits with a single 20a fuse. What appears to have happened in your case is a short on that string that caused the wiring to overheat but not draw enough power to blow the 20a fuse. Bad design used to save money, not give the best protection.

Follow the melted wires to their source. You can’t tell to which circuits or area of the game they lead because each half (4 pins each) of that 9 pin connector on the power supply board is electrically the same. One side is the transformer source, the other side is the transformer return. There isn’t a specific order to them. The hacker could have soldered the wires on each side in any order.

#1783 5 years ago

Thanks to you both!
Since I dont have replacement parts for the plugs yet I isolated the 2 wires and used some electrical tape temporarily and sure enough I now have GI lighting! Ordering led replacements today.

This has also seemed to fix other weirdness I was experiencing. Like higher pitched speech from the Knight. I also want to replace rectifiers below the power supply with the updated board from marco. Someone had installed a computer fan just below them. I dont want this thing to catch on fire.

Watched the 2019 Black Knight live Stream yesterday and was impressed but not 100% blown away like I thought I would be. Was cool to see the 1980 version in the background and it got me off the couch to look into this repair (temp repair). Glad I did

In love with this game that came out when I was born and happy to be in this club!

20190410_064417 (resized).jpg20190410_064417 (resized).jpg
#1784 5 years ago

Like higher pitched speech from the Knight.

Bro, when this happens! You don’t fix it! You make the knight squeal higher!!!

Haven’t you seen Disney’s “Up”. The pincer has the best high pitched sinister voice a villain ever had. Hilarious.

#1785 5 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

Rejoining the Black Knight club after 7 years. Sold my BK -among others- back then to acquire an Addams, and it's one I always said I'd own again if I got the chance. The chance came a couple of months ago when a fellow pinhead put some of his projects up for sale. I've only done some minor work since, but I thought I'd share. First up, send the CPU to Clive. Check. Picked up a gray Repro BG from CPR, along with a new plastics set and did some cleaning and touch up (see the eagle claw.) I need to touch up all of the inserts, and finish up the cleaning, which will happen...soon.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well, the cosmetics are mostly done. I'm going to repair the lower right corner of the head, but the rest of the cabinet is in good shape. And I'll almost certainly pick up a mirrored version of the BG when they become available again. This BK will ride again...soon.

bkfull (resized).jpgbkfull (resized).jpgbkpf (resized).jpgbkpf (resized).jpg
#1786 5 years ago

Can somebody pls give me a lead for part number of plug type i need in my pic a few posts up where previous owner soldered wires to the power supply?
Thankyou!

#1787 5 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

And I'll almost certainly pick up a mirrored version of the BG when they become available again.

CPR now has the mirrored version back in stock. No need to wait...

#1788 5 years ago

Can somebody pls give me a lead for part number of plug type i need in my pic a few posts up where previous owner soldered wires to the power supply?
Thankyou!

You need to amend the GI wiring... The input connector, I believe, is no longer available.
Best to copy High Speed wiring setup.
1) Add one heavy duty wire to each existing ( white and yellow ) wire from the transformer to
--- power supply; four wires total.
- 1a) need a .93 heavy duty four pin Molex: male and female.
- 1b) remove input connector, and add for more extra wires to the input power board.
- 1c) again copy High Speed GI power setup.
2) get a four fuse, fuse-block. fasten to side of back box...
-2a) get a nine pin .93 connector with key pin; if possible.
-2b) add white-x wires to connector; this would be an extension of the GI wires...
-2c) fasten one OEM white-x wires to each fuse holder on fuse block.
-2d) add return white-x wires to the other end of fuse block.
-2e) again copy High Speed GI power setup.
3) remove 20 amp fuse from power supply and fuse clips.
- 3a) add jumper wire where old 20 amp fuse is located.
-3b) again copy High Speed GI power setup.
4) Add four 5amp slow-blow fuses to fuse-block.
Note: Check High Speed back box photos. Check High Speed manual.

#1789 5 years ago

Thanks Vec-tor
Forgot to mention that I got an upgraded power supply. Hoping it will make things easier? What you described might be beyond me some but..I really appreciate you taking time to post

20190416_165847 (resized).jpg20190416_165847 (resized).jpg
#1790 5 years ago

so there is no connector I can buy for J8?

#1791 5 years ago

so there is no connector I can buy for J8?

Re-pin your own: https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-crimp-stuff-connectors-and-parts.html

You'd need a 9 pin connector, 1 blank pin, 8 molex pins and a crimper.

You could use IDC connectors also, but I'd prefer Molex. https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-156-idc-connectors-and-parts.html

Be aware, most of the IDC you find nowadays are for 22awg wire. Not sure what J8 feeds, but if it's 18 awg power feeds, you'll need the correct IDC for 18 awg.

#1792 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Re-pin your own: https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-crimp-stuff-connectors-and-parts.html
You'd need a 9 pin connector, 1 blank pin, 8 molex pins and a crimper.
You could use IDC connectors also, but I'd prefer Molex. https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-156-idc-connectors-and-parts.html
Be aware, most of the IDC you find nowadays are for 22awg wire. Not sure what J8 feeds, but if it's 18 awg power feeds, you'll need the correct IDC for 18 awg.

Thankyou sir

#1793 5 years ago

Hi Guys

I was swapping over the upper trough assembly and doing 1 set of wires at a time when I came across an unsoldered yellow wire from the switch for the upper ramp. I can't find it in the manual.
Can someone tell me where it is suppose to go. See attached pic. There is a white arrow pointing to it.
Just in case there is confusion - if you lift the playfield up and lean it against the headbox , the wire is located at the bottom left.

Thank you!
Clive

Blackknightloosewire (resized).jpgBlackknightloosewire (resized).jpg
#1794 5 years ago

Can you take a pic little further away to see everything? I literally just finished maybe 10 mins ago a complete led swap and fixed the roll over switch in back left corner that gives you the free ball after both bank targets are set. So this is fresh in my head.

Edit- that looks like the leaf switch was replace with a micro switch.

#1795 5 years ago

Hi

yes the trough switches as well were modified but they used what appears to be cut lane guides or something as a switch mount and the plastic has become pliable.

Attached is a photo.

I just discovered this particular switch was changed as well but it still works so I will leave it until it becomes a problem.

Thank you

bkwireoff1 (resized).jpgbkwireoff1 (resized).jpg
#1796 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi
yes the trough switches as well were modified but they used what appears to be cut lane guides or something as a switch mount and the plastic has become pliable.
Attached is a photo.
I just discovered this particular switch was changed as well but it still works so I will leave it until it becomes a problem.
Thank you[quoted image]

So the yellow wire is the one not hooked to any thing? I assume that switch is not working currently. On my machine the yellow is ground. They are tied to other switches like a daisy chain then pulled to ground point or are tapped into the thin braid ground circuit that is stapled through out the underside of the board.

When I was changing bulbs had a few that were soldered to the 1/4 hex bolt that screws bulb holders into playfield.

Before you solder it back down alligator clip jump it to test it.

Based on wire length I'd guess it was tied into the same color yellow wires seen at 5-6 o'clock in above pic. Solder joint probably cracked from either vibration or lifing playfield.

#1797 5 years ago

Good evening, I had somewhat of a BK meltdown last night. The machine was on, not being played, and suddenly started acting weird...starting a game on its own, odd noises, etc. I played through a couple games and suddenly there was a small amount of smoke coming from the cabinet. I immediately unplugged and researched today, finding the burnt part of the board as shown in the pics. I'm pretty new to all this so, 1) Any guess what caused this? 2) I'm assuming I need to just replace this board. How easy / hard to get a replacement?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0217 (resized).jpgIMG_0217 (resized).jpgInkedBK board - close up_LI (resized).jpgInkedBK board - close up_LI (resized).jpgInkedBK board_LI (resized).jpgInkedBK board_LI (resized).jpg
#1798 5 years ago

Transistors are an easy repair, no need to replace the whole board. But if the game was acting up like that, I assume you've got an MPU issue as well. Looks like your MPU hasn't been rebuilt judging by the interconnect? I'd just get both boards repaired + bulletproofed

#1799 5 years ago

Thanks for the tip zacaj. I've had the machine for about 6 months. No, I don't think the MPU has been rebuilt. Any suggestion on where to get them repaired / bulletproofed? I can try to find some local repair but I have had better luck with recommendations from here.

#1800 5 years ago

Chris Hibler here at Pinside has a good reputation here as a board repair tech.

The Coin-Op Cauldron does good work, as well.

I definitely recommend having your original boards repaired instead of buying new 3rd party replacements. Some are good, but original boards are usually quite reliable once they've been gone through by a good tech.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 65.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/36?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.