• 3,199 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 64.
#1701 5 years ago

Tried an incandescent? It's a controlled lamp, should flash with the rest in lamp test. Checked the wiring and diode?

Is the left magna save button registering in switch test? Is the under playfield relay energizing?

Shouldn't need to disconnect anything. My wires have plenty of slack even with the playfield 3 feet forward. Maybe yours are caught on something?

#1702 5 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Hey guys,
Currently working on a Black Knight that I picked up last month. Have it working 100% except for a couple of small issues. The one main problem I've having is that the pop bumper is not illuminating. It is functioning but it is not lighting up. I've tried a couple of different LEDs in it with no luck. All other GI and inserts are working.
Secondly, the left magna sling doesn't seem to be activating...the right one works fine...anything in particular to look for?
Also to lift the playfield up and lean it against the backbox do I need to disconnect some of the molexes? I don't want to put a strain on the wires but there just isn't very good access with it leaning up with the bar. Thanks in advance!

The bayonet lamp socket in that pop bumper is really fragile. I had a similar problem - when I got my BK, the bumper itself was functional but not the light no matter if I put in an LED or incan. I wound up replacing the socket with a wedge type.

#1703 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

The bayonet lamp socket in that pop bumper is really fragile. I had a similar problem - when I got my BK, the bumper itself was functional but not the light no matter if I put in an LED or incan. I wound up replacing the socket with a wedge type.

Ok great info thanks. It's really hard to get access from the underside so hoping I can do the swap from the top down. I haven't pulled apart a pop bumper before. I removed the two screws under the cap around the socket but it didn't seem as though the plastic wanted to pull out and I didn't want to break it. Is this the best way to get at the socket and replace or at least verify a connection/check diode?

#1704 5 years ago

Ok great info thanks. It's really hard to get access from the underside so hoping I can do the swap from the top down. I haven't pulled apart a pop bumper before. I removed the two screws under the cap around the socket but it didn't seem as though the plastic wanted to pull out and I didn't want to break it. Is this the best way to get at the socket and replace or at least verify a connection/check diode?

Pop bumpers are kind of a pain - you indeed need access to the underside of the playfield to unsolder/clip the old lamp socket (the leads feed thru the topside of the playfield to the underside) and to solder in a replacement one. Do a "pop bumper replacement" search on YouTube and you'll see several video examples of the procedure. The procedure is basically the same no matter if it's Bally, Williams, etc.

popbumper.jpgpopbumper.jpg
#1705 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Pop bumpers are kind of a pain - you indeed need access to the underside of the playfield to unsolder/clip the old lamp socket (the leads feed thru the topside of the playfield to the underside) and to solder in a replacement one. Do a "pop bumper replacement" search on YouTube and you'll see several video examples of the procedure. The procedure is basically the same no matter if it's Bally, Williams, etc.[quoted image]

Thanks for the great info. Really appreciate it!

#1706 5 years ago

Thanks for the great info. Really appreciate it!

Before tearing apart the pop bumper, there are a few things you could also try:

1: If you have a spare lamp socket (any socket) you could desolder the lamp socket pins currently in the machine, alligator clip the lamp wires to the spare socket, and see if the lamp lights.
2: If the spare socket lights, you know the wiring is good and be sure that there's something wrong with the pop bumper lamp socket.
- If you get lucky, it's a cold solder joint and re-reflowing the solder on the pop bumper lamp socket makes it work again.
- If reflowing the solder doesn't help, you need to take the pop bumper apart and replace the socket
3: If the spare socket doesn't light, perhaps you have a broken wire or corroded pin in a connector. Confirm where the wire goes with the schematic, check for point to point continuity, and repin the connector header if necessary.

#1707 5 years ago

Update. Fixed the pop bumper lighting issue. The left lead was broken from the wire and I had to jumper an insulated wire to each end. Easier said than done! Was able to pull it off without having to fully disassemble the pop bumper. FYI you gotta make sure that spoon sits perfectly centered on the plastic length that sits in it. Thanks for the help! Now to figure out the left magna

Quoted from Mathazar:

Before tearing apart the pop bumper, there are a few things you could also try:
1: If you have a spare lamp socket (any socket) you could desolder the lamp socket pins currently in the machine, alligator clip the lamp wires to the spare socket, and see if the lamp lights.
2: If the spare socket lights, you know the wiring is good and be sure that there's something wrong with the pop bumper lamp socket.
- If you get lucky, it's a cold solder joint and re-reflowing the solder on the pop bumper lamp socket makes it work again.
- If reflowing the solder doesn't help, you need to take the pop bumper apart and replace the socket
3: If the spare socket doesn't light, perhaps you have a broken wire or corroded pin in a connector. Confirm where the wire goes with the schematic, check for point to point continuity, and repin the connector header if necessary.

#1708 5 years ago

I had a little get together to play test my BK and it would randomly do this in the pic. 2’s would scroll, one time it just ejected a locked ball and a game continued, the other time a ball got locked and then it did this but wouldn’t eject a ball. Not sure what is going on or what to look for.

4679D8FD-BDAC-40F4-B1D2-4EBC855B1DC1 (resized).jpeg4679D8FD-BDAC-40F4-B1D2-4EBC855B1DC1 (resized).jpeg
#1709 5 years ago

The 2's will scroll on a couple displays when 2-ball multiball is going on. Same with 3's during 3 ball multiball. It sounds like this has something to do with the lock trough switches on the upper playfield and/or the main ball trough switches at the bottom of the main playfield. If they aren't adjusted properly the game might be getting confused as to how many balls are locked/in play and cause weird behaviour like that. That's where I'd start--fairly common issue on this game.

#1710 5 years ago

Only way to start 2 ball usually is via the bottom lock eject, I'd check that switch too

#1711 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I had a little get together to play test my BK and it would randomly do this in the pic. 2’s would scroll, one time it just ejected a locked ball and a game continued, the other time a ball got locked and then it did this but wouldn’t eject a ball. Not sure what is going on or what to look for.
[quoted image]

Are you sure you didn't hit the scoop on the lower PF with one ball locked on the upper PF? If you did hit the scoop, this is normal. If you didn't hit the scoop, I would check the switch on the lower scoop and make sure it isn't too tight.

Quoted from zacaj:

Only way to start 2 ball usually is via the bottom lock eject, I'd check that switch too

Agree, must be the switch on the lower PF scoop. That's the only way to start 2 ball multiball.

The other time 2 or 3 rolls across the displays is the bonus time at the end of a multiplayer game. The bell rings and whoever had the highest score at the end of the game gets 30 seconds of play with unlimited balls.

#1712 5 years ago

Hmmmm interesting. Yeah that pic there was no ball in the lower scoop. I'll check all the scoop, lock and trough switches. Thanks! I am hoping it is that easy!

#1713 5 years ago

Sounds to me like the end of game bonus thing because you just noticed it when friends were over. Same thing happens to me on pharaoh. I forget about the bonus cause I only play 1 player games

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Sounds to me like the end of game bonus thing because you just noticed it when friends were over. Same thing happens to me on pharaoh. I forget about the bonus cause I only play 1 player games

I always turn that off on my williams SS. You already won, you don't need /more/ ball time!

#1715 5 years ago

I agree, It's sort of dumb for home use...

Always catches me and my first thought is "what's wrong now"

#1716 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I agree, It's sort of dumb for home use...
Always catches me and my first thought is "what's wrong now"

I like leaving it on - during the rare times my son and I play at the same time, it reminds me of my youth when I'd compete with my friends in the arcade.

#1717 5 years ago

i guess that's what the hobby is all about isn't it....

#1718 5 years ago

I gave the Black Knight a beating last night. I hadn't played for a while, but fixed a sound issue, and then had to do some trial play. I got to a point I've never been to before: the sword bonus got maxed out, and then further bonus switches triggered the bell: I didn't even know that happens. The bell was going nuts: so fun to discover something new after all this time!

#1719 5 years ago

New personal best this afternoon - set to 3 ball play and picked up 3 extra balls along the way. Maxxed out the bonus on 3 of the 6 balls. Took 25 minutes. The bell was ringing so long and so often the wife was yelling from upstairs "what the heck is going on down there???".

New PB.jpgNew PB.jpg
#1720 5 years ago

Does anyone have an extra plastic in nice shape that goes on the lower playfield behind the center drop targets and kickout? I snapped off the end of mine while snagging it on my tool...ARGH! There is one on eBay but wanted to reach out here if anyone had a nice one I could buy. Thanks in advance!

Image-1 (resized).jpgImage-1 (resized).jpg
#1721 5 years ago

Does anyone have an extra plastic in nice shape that goes on the lower playfield behind the center drop targets and kickout?

Let me have a look. I have a brand new CPR set that isn't even on the game yet PLUS the set that's installed PLUS a third set that a friend gave me that's sitting in a bag in my garage.

I will get back to you...

#1722 5 years ago

Does anyone have an extra plastic in nice shape that goes on the lower playfield behind the center drop targets and kickout? I snapped off the end of mine while snagging it on my tool...ARGH! There is one on eBay but wanted to reach out here if anyone had a nice one I could buy. Thanks in advance!
[quoted image]

I also have a CPR set unopened for mine. I dont think the one installed on my BK currently is damaged. Your welcome to it. You must have a long tool if you caught it while in the playing position. LOL

#1723 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I also have a CPR set unopened for mine. I dont think the one installed on my BK currently is damaged. Your welcome to it. You must have a long tool if you caught it while in the playing position. LOL

I have the one on my game and the one in the CPR set. Nothing in the bag in the garage. Might be easier you to mail it from one state to the other rather than from one country to the other...

#1724 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Thanks man! Sent you a PM. Hoping it’s in good shape!!

Wish you weren’t in Canada dzorbas! I appreciate the offer!

#1725 5 years ago

Huge thank you to ePeabs! Sent out a plastic to me for free. Really appreciate the kind gesture!!! Good pinball karma!

#1726 5 years ago

Huge thank you to ePeabs! Sent out a plastic to me for free. Really appreciate the kind gesture!!! Good pinball karma!

Glad I could help. Spreading good pinball Karma to all.

#1727 5 years ago

Evening everyone,
I'm also in need of the same plastic if anyone still has one
I'm also in need of this one for the upper 2 ball area.

Thanks
Bruce

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1728 5 years ago

Obviously can't help you with the same plastic, but I can help you with the upper plastic. It does have one additional screw hole that you can see in the photo. This is due to the original nail used as a post in the stainless guide. The nail scratched the plastic so I drilled a hole and installed a screw instead of the nail. It also holds the plastic down nicer from years of incandescent heat. Let me know if you want it. The photo does not look great due to reflection, everything that is supposed to be black is black. The plastic does have one crack in it near bottom right acorn nut.

15515866239864984105177308713386 (resized).jpg15515866239864984105177308713386 (resized).jpg

#1729 5 years ago

"I challenge thee to fight me."

20190304_164805 (resized).jpg20190304_164805 (resized).jpg
#1730 5 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

"I challenge thee to fight me."
[quoted image]

Is that the White Knight?

#1731 5 years ago

Hey Guys just bought a BK earlier this week. It all works, however the flippers seem like they need to be rebuilt, and the rubbers replaced.Also should I replace the flipper soleinoids? As far as setting the machine up for play what is the best pitch? My RCT has a level and easy to set up with that, however looking through the manual of BK, I dont see anything. Also what do you guys recommend cleaning and redoing the playfield with? I always loved pins as a kid, just recently got into buying them for personal gameroom. This is my 2nd pin, and possibly a Hurricane this weekend. Thanks!

#1732 5 years ago

Read this for your flippers https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/46#post-4857092

Vid also has a guide on cleaning playfields. Search for it. It’s worth it.

Pitch is trial and error to find what you like. I like 5.5 degrees.

#1733 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I like 5.5 degrees

I recommend 7! Give it that Steve Ritchie speed...

#1734 5 years ago

Read this for your flippers https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/46#post-4857092
Vid also has a guide on cleaning playfields. Search for it. It’s worth it.
Pitch is trial and error to find what you like. I like 5.5 degrees.

Thanks for quick reply!

#1735 5 years ago
Quoted from Funnybonz:

Hey Guys just bought a BK earlier this week. It all works, however the flippers seem like they need to be rebuilt, and the rubbers replaced.Also should I replace the flipper soleinoids? As far as setting the machine up for play what is the best pitch? My RCT has a level and easy to set up with that, however looking through the manual of BK, I dont see anything. Also what do you guys recommend cleaning and redoing the playfield with? I always loved pins as a kid, just recently got into buying them for personal gameroom. This is my 2nd pin, and possibly a Hurricane this weekend. Thanks!

Vid's guide is great...in general, coils rarely need replacing unless they appear burnt. There is nothing in them to wear out, other than the insulation on the windings, and that leads to shorted windings, less impedance and burnt coil. Replace the end stops, flipper bushings (important and most often overlooked), coil sleeves and adjust the EOS and you'll be good to go. You can replace the prawl if it has alot of slop, but I've rarely seen the need.

#1736 5 years ago

I would also check to make sure the right coils are in the game. I got mine and 50v coils were in two of the flippers making them almost useless (super weak).

Incase anyone knows, the metal posts the rubber caps “screw” on, I need to install actual nuts to the ones on top of the upper pf lock, any idea on thread?

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Vid's guide is great...in general, coils rarely need replacing unless they appear burnt. There is nothing in them to wear out, other than the insulation on the windings, and that leads to shorted windings, less impedance and burnt coil. Replace the end stops, flipper bushings (important and most often overlooked), coil sleeves and adjust the EOS and you'll be good to go. You can replace the prawl if it has alot of slop, but I've rarely seen the need.

Plunger and link have the biggest effect on flipper strength to my finding. Often I don't bother replacing EOS as the old ones read better than the new. Coil stops don't affect strength and can't be replaced on BK anyway

#1738 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never seen a prawl that didn't need replacement. That and the plunger have the biggest effect on flipper strength. Coil stops don't affect strength and can't be replaced on BK anyway

Thanks for the correction....didn't realize that specifically on BK about the coil stops.

I've had a ton of games over 20 years, and only replaced a few prawls. Just not my experience. And yes to the plunger mushrooming....forgot about that one.

#1739 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Thanks for the correction....didn't realize that specifically on BK about the coil stops.
I've had a ton of games over 20 years, and only replaced a few prawls. Just not my experience. And yes to the plunger mushrooming....forgot about that one.

Oops, I think I'm getting mixed up on what a prawl is. I meant the link

#1740 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

can't be replaced on BK anyway

They can if you upgrade.

Bonz, I upgraded my flippers with full Pinball Life assemblies as Vid describes in his thread. It makes it a very easy replacement and only costs a couple of bucks more. Better springs and coil stops too.

I wouldn't do it any other way, but zacaj is a purist and will disagree with me.

Good Luck.

#1741 5 years ago

Coil stops are replaceable on BK, i did so when i bought mine years ago. Of course, it's more than just the coil stop--it's the whole flipper bracket with the coil stop built into it. Pinball life has them for $14 each.

Left side: https://www.pinballlife.com/willilams-flipper-mounting-bracket-and-coil-stop-assembly-for-system-6-7-machines-left-side.html

Right side: https://www.pinballlife.com/willilams-flipper-mounting-bracket-and-coil-stop-assembly-for-system-6-7-machines-right-side.html

#1742 5 years ago

I wouldn't do it any other way, but zacaj is a purist and will disagree with me.

Besides from being a purist and every BK I've played with replacement mechs playing worse than games with original mechs, more than half my orders from PBL have had faulty flipper parts that I then had to manually fix or replace again. I wouldn't ever recommend ordering from them to people who are new to rebuilding flippers, as they won't know what to look for.

#1743 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Is that the White Knight?

His name is Boss, and he likes pinball.

#1744 5 years ago

Does anyone have, or know where to get Arrow lenses/plastics for the (Black Knight) Playfield? One of the lenses on the lower left 3 bank arrows on my BK has a huge chunk out of it..

#1745 5 years ago

PinballLife has ones that should work. They won't exactly match the other drop target areas, but if you replaced those three at the left lower three bank, they will match each other. https://www.pinballlife.com/1-12-x-58-triangle-transparent-starburst-blue-playfield-insert.html

#1746 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

PinballLife has ones that should work. They won't exactly match the other drop target areas, but if you replaced those three at the left lower three bank, they will match each other. https://www.pinballlife.com/1-12-x-58-triangle-transparent-starburst-blue-playfield-insert.html

Thanks for the info!

#1747 5 years ago

Sometimes my BK speech is very muted for a while, then it comes back and works fine. You can hear it, but it sounds like a wire is loose or something, but it's not. Any ideas on what else to look for? Also, when I adjust the volume knob it only controls the sounds, not the speech. Is there a way to adjust the speech independent of the sound?

Thanks!

#1748 5 years ago

There's a mixer pot on the sound board

2 weeks later
#1749 5 years ago

Good evening.

In process and stripping the playfield for a Hard Top install. There are several of these posts. Does anyone know if they are threaded into the wood? I removed the nut in back side but it’s in there right. Since no head for a socket I’m presuming it’s jist held in place by the nut. Best practice for removing?

80AE7F5F-EC8C-48E9-84F1-0DFF0C8DCC52 (resized).jpeg80AE7F5F-EC8C-48E9-84F1-0DFF0C8DCC52 (resized).jpeg
#1750 5 years ago

Carefully tap the threaded bottom side with a hammer.
Then, you can use a round punch to get it through the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/35?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.