Topic Stats

• 1,531 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 525 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BK - LAMP SCHEDULE (resized).jpg
20181015_210816 (resized).jpg
BK - PLAYFIELD LED (resized).jpg
BK - BACKBOX LED (resized).jpg
bird after (resized).JPG
Upper pf (resized).jpg
lower pf (resized).jpg
arrival (resized).jpg
E455B500-70E4-4F85-B4B0-548710D89C1F (resized).jpeg
5F73C98F-6918-4471-95B4-627E3C7CB919 (resized).jpeg
87B3CC86-F005-4A44-B43F-62630E657362 (resized).jpeg
20181121_200732 (resized).jpg
18AED3C2-39B8-4B84-961E-912BD8684229 (resized).jpeg
0D20B28A-BD0F-4AA4-A887-542F4A4E8128 (resized).jpeg
20181119_210943 (resized).jpg
20181118_224237 (resized).jpg

There are 1531 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 31.
#1501 20 days ago

Question: When the ball comes tearing down the righthand ramp, and you have to stop it with the RH flipper, do you find that the flipper "gives" a little? It doesn't seem like it should, but I'm new to these 28V flippers so maybe that is normal with really high speed impact?

#1502 19 days ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Ooh, didn't know about that...saves the transistors, does it?

Did you replace the IDC connectors at the switch row and column connectors to the board? I had issues with some switches not registering after I had tested them all and found them working, then realized those connections to the board weren't making consistent contact. I had been reluctant to do those over because the IDC's have a number of "pass-through" contacts, but Allan advised me to go ahead and crimp 2 wires into one Trifurcon, just do both crimps on the wire and don't worry about crimping the insulation. Works just great.

Nothing like added protection. As far as the idc's, I just picked up an assortment from Mouser from 2 pin through 10 pin connectors with several hundred trifurcons. One of my next projects will be to go through and redo all the connectors going to the driver and CPU. But the connector I'm speaking of from the playfield to the back box is definitely a major issue right now.

#1503 18 days ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Placed and order from Great Plains today for some pins and sockets and some plugs and receptacles, and an extraction tool. I will rebuild the connector once the parts arrive. I the meantime I installed nvram.weebly's Special Solenoid Saver. A super easy 10 minute install with the directions.
[quoted image]

Ohhh, mine is going on route and the weebly solinoid saver would be great! Didn’t know it existed!

Ok, so I re-pinned my connector and for the game up!

0D20B28A-BD0F-4AA4-A887-542F4A4E8128 (resized).jpeg

However every time I boot the game up, it goes to this menu, and I left the manual at home, any clue on how to get it to boot normal, or is this a time thing and it will go to attract mode after x time?

18AED3C2-39B8-4B84-961E-912BD8684229 (resized).jpeg

#1504 18 days ago

Make sure your 3 advance buttons are in the up position on the inside of the coin door. Shut the machine off. When you turn it back on, it should be in regular attract mode.

20181121_200732 (resized).jpg
#1505 18 days ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Make sure your 3 advance buttons are in the up position on the inside of the coin door. Shut the machine off. When you turn it back on, it should be in regular attract mode.
[quoted image]

Ahhhh! Ok I’ll try that! Game is at work so when I run back sometime I’ll test and post back. Hoping to clean and have it on route soon! I put one game on today just to test, man it was fun, so glad I started to like solid state games!

#1506 18 days ago
Quoted from epeabs:

[quoted image]

The position of the door switches will not affect the machine upon boot up. Also, only the middle one has up/down latching positions.

Vibe - your game is booting to audit mode. Are the batteries good? Holder good? Battery power getting to the ram? Or did you install nvram?

Once in audit mode, you can turn the machine on/off quickly to get it to attract mode. Or use the coin door switches to travel through the menus. This doesn't fix the underlying issue, and you will have to do it each power up.

#1507 18 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

The position of the door switches will not affect the machine upon boot up. Also, only the middle one has up/down latching positions.
Vibe - your game is booting to audit mode. Are the batteries good? Holder good? Battery power getting to the ram? Or did you install nvram?
Once in audit mode, you can turn the machine on/off quickly to get it to attract mode. Or use the coin door switches to travel through the menus. This doesn't fix the underlying issue, and you will have to do it each power up.

My bad. When I have been doing switch/coil/lamp tests, etc. once I turn the game off and turn it back on it boots fine. But as you said the buttons do not affect booting.

#1508 18 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

Mmm no batteries...boards refurbed and the AA holder is still empty. So you’re sayin I need some batteries....

#1509 18 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mmm no batteries...boards refurbed and the AA holder is still empty. So you’re sayin I need some batteries....

you need batteries unless the "refurber" installed nvram.

After replacing the batteries, it will go into audit mode the first power up. Turn it off for a few seconds then turn it back on. It should now always boot into attract mode (with good batteries).

ALSO - remote mount those batteries once you get the rest of the issues sorted out.

#1510 18 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

After replacing the batteries, it will go into audit mode the first power up. Turn it off for a few seconds then turn it back on. It should now always boot into attract mode (with good batteries).

And make sure the door is open while you do this

#1511 17 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

ALSO - remote mount those batteries once you get the rest of the issues sorted out.

Better just to install NVRAM.

#1512 16 days ago

Happy Black Knight Friday to All!!!

#1513 15 days ago

Happy day for me! To follow up on my earlier issue I read another thread and found out about a possible grounding issue from the top two screws on the driver board touching the mounting bracket in the backbox. I removed the MPU and driver board, added some electrical tape to the screw holes for the driver board mount for insulation and reassembled and now my switch issues have been resolved! Hope this helps others out there.

1 week later
#1514 8 days ago

I have a few questions.

I had a lower right flipper that seemed weak. I rebuilt 3 of the 4, and the lower right still wasn’t able to get the ball near the ramp. However after looking, seems like the wrong coil?

Lower right
E455B500-70E4-4F85-B4B0-548710D89C1F (resized).jpeg

Lower left
87B3CC86-F005-4A44-B43F-62630E657362 (resized).jpeg

Also, the left upper flipper, to replace the switch I was taking off the entire bracket, but one screw is under the pf. Are people using short flat head or taking off the upper pf? And actually how do you take off the upper pf?

5F73C98F-6918-4471-95B4-627E3C7CB919 (resized).jpeg

#1515 8 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

seems like the wrong coil?

Ummmm... Yea.. 50volt coils on a 28 volt circuit.?????

#1516 8 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Ummmm... Yea.. 50volt coils on a 28 volt circuit.?????

The two left coils are correct, right? The 30-750?

The two right sides are incorrect. ( lower and upper)

#1517 8 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The two left coils are correct, right? The 30-750?
The two right sides are incorrect. ( lower and upper)

Pulled up the manual from ipdb. Confirmed the coil list, all flippers are the 30-750, ordering 2 to replace the two rights.

The one thing I want to confirm is the drop target springs. I can't find any info on those. Are they the standard pbl drop target reset?
https://www.pinballlife.com/drop-target-reset-spring.html

I have the sleeve kit from marco and when I do the drops. I want to pull them apart, clean and replace the spring. A few of them are not dropping easily like below

#1518 8 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Pulled up the manual from ipdb. Confirmed the coil list, all flippers are the 30-750, ordering 2 to replace the two rights.
The one thing I want to confirm is the drop target springs. I can't find any info on those. Are they the standard pbl drop target reset?
I have the sleeve kit from marco and when I do the drops. I want to pull them apart, clean and replace the spring. A few of them are not dropping easily like below

The back springs are quite adjustable, just give them a slight bend

#1519 7 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Black Knight uses part number 10-364 as the return spring. https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-extension-spring.html

You can use the Planetary Pinball online parts manuals to look at exploded diagrams with part numbers of most every mechanism.

That being said, your problem more likely is from dirt and oxidation than the return spring. Disassemble and clean all the parts of the drop target. Use some metal polish or Novus 2 to clean and polish all the parts that rub. The flat tension "spring" (flat tab of metal. on the back of the drop target) being oxidized and or dirty is the #1 cause of slow/sticky drops IME in this type drop targets. Use no, none, zero lubricants when re-assembling drop targets.

#1520 7 days ago

Rejoining the Black Knight club after 7 years. Sold my BK -among others- back then to acquire an Addams, and it's one I always said I'd own again if I got the chance. The chance came a couple of months ago when a fellow pinhead put some of his projects up for sale. I've only done some minor work since, but I thought I'd share. First up, send the CPU to Clive. Check. Picked up a gray Repro BG from CPR, along with a new plastics set and did some cleaning and touch up (see the eagle claw.) I need to touch up all of the inserts, and finish up the cleaning, which will happen...soon.

arrival (resized).jpglower pf (resized).jpgUpper pf (resized).jpgbird after (resized).JPG
#1521 6 days ago

Hey all, If you don't want to overspend on an LED kit. Here's a diagram I've put together of how I lit mine using all comet bulbs. It lights up all the dark areas with Comet's matrix system (super easy to use). The only thing I haven't done yet is install the blue "cave" light because I haven't done an entire tear down of the playfield. Hope this helps some of you out. I will post a speread sheet with the specific bulbs later.

EDIT: Should be 44 total LEDs in the head

BK - BACKBOX LED (resized).jpgBK - PLAYFIELD LED (resized).jpg

20181015_210816 (resized).jpg

#1522 5 days ago

...and as promised, here's the Lamp Schedule.

BK - LAMP SCHEDULE (resized).jpg
#1523 3 days ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

Picked up a gray Repro BG from CPR

How does that backglass look? I'm debating the mirrored one or whether I should save the $100 and just get the non-mirrored.

Thanks!

#1524 3 days ago

Mirrored.

Next question.

#1525 3 days ago

Nicely LED Black Knight,well done!
Might take you up on that LED list later on...Debating a hardtop with myself right know.
I know i don't have the talent to bring back my playfield from the deads so...leaning toward a hardtop.
Sacrilege?

#1526 2 days ago
Quoted from Andre:

Nicely LED Black Knight,well done!
Might take you up on that LED list later on...Debating a hardtop with myself right know.
I know i don't have the talent to bring back my playfield from the deads so...leaning toward a hardtop.
Sacrilege?

Thanks! Sacrilege?! Nope. You are bringing back the shine to an old machine.

On another note here is a video of the LED'd game someone somewhere else asked about:

#1527 1 day ago

If anybody is watching that new Kurt Russell movie on Netflix "The Christmas Chronicles".....

Keep a close eye on the background in the garage scene. Our favorite machine makes a guest appearance, and unlike movies of old, the pins don't get smashed.

-Hans

#1528 16 hours ago
Quoted from HHaase:

If anybody is watching that new Kurt Russell movie on Netflix "The Christmas Chronicles".....
Keep a close eye on the background in the garage scene. Our favorite machine makes a guest appearance, and unlike movies of old, the pins don't get smashed.
-Hans

It was surprisingly a pretty good movie.

#1529 4 hours ago

I think I know the answer to what I'm about to ask but just wanted to be sure so I'll ask it here. The Jet bumper coil in my BK is stuck ON. This is the only problem. I am guessing the TIP102/120 for this coil is most likely fried and needs replaced? Also, when I look at the manual it says transistors Q4 and Q6 control the coil. Why are there two TIP102/120's for this coil when all others have one TIP and a corresponding smaller pre-driver transistor? Also, could it be Q4 or Q6's pre-driver transistors (Q5 and Q3) causing the issue? The coil locks on instantly when the machine is turned on. Everything else in the machine works perfectly. Aside from fried transistors is there any other common problem to check for that could cause this issue?

Thanks!

#1530 4 hours ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I think I know the answer to what I'm about to ask but just wanted to be sure so I'll ask it here. The Jet bumper coil in my BK is stuck ON. This is the only problem. I am guessing the TIP102/120 for this coil is most likely fried and needs replaced? Also, when I look at the manual it says transistors Q4 and Q6 control the coil. Why are there two TIP102/120's for this coil when all others have one TIP and a corresponding smaller pre-driver transistors? Also, could it be Q4 or Q6's pre-driver transistors casing the issue? The coil locks on instantly when the machine is turned on. Everything else in the machine works perfectly. Aside from fried transistors is there any other common problem to check for that could cause this issue?
Thanks!

Ironic, I just got my CPU and driver boards back from a minor repair. Installed boards and while trying to go through tests with the advance button on the coin door, my jet bumper is sticking on as soon as I press the advance button and I am blowing my solenoid fuse. I was just going to post about this. My switches are not stuck closed, but I'm not seeing anything to cause this visually. I had rebuilt one of my 36 pin playfield to backbox connectors and had incorrectly installed one pin knocking out a couple items on the CPU and the driver. I have triple checked my 36 pin after realizing my error and it is now correct.

#1531 3 hours ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I think I know the answer to what I'm about to ask but just wanted to be sure so I'll ask it here. The Jet bumper coil in my BK is stuck ON. This is the only problem. I am guessing the TIP102/120 for this coil is most likely fried and needs replaced? Also, when I look at the manual it says transistors Q4 and Q6 control the coil. Why are there two TIP102/120's for this coil when all others have one TIP and a corresponding smaller pre-driver transistor? Also, could it be Q4 or Q6's pre-driver transistors (Q5 and Q3) causing the issue? The coil locks on instantly when the machine is turned on. Everything else in the machine works perfectly. Aside from fried transistors is there any other common problem to check for that could cause this issue?
Thanks!

I think the manual has a misprint there. The line above is also wrong. Q5 is the pre-driver for Q6, which is what drives the pop bumper. Q6, Q5, IC8, IC6 could all be the cause.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,250 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Zelienople, PA
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 1,200.00
There are 1531 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside