• 3,195 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by pindel
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,195 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 64.
#1151 5 years ago

I had an early production run here that I just handed off to another local collector last night. Is there anything in particular that you want documented? I can drop him a line.

I took some photos, but not many.

#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I had an early production run here that I just handed off to another local collector last night.

And I will chime in and say that my wife and I both really had a great time hanging out chatting with you and thank you so very much for being such a cool person to be around.
I personally thank you for helping me finally get a Black Knight and for MaxAsh for connecting us together.
-Mike

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Does anyone know if the early production machines or proto's have any other differences than the transformer being in the head and the system 6 power board?

I will be digging into cleaning up and inspecting an early run BK and will be comparing as much info that I can find. So far it is only location of transformer and different power supply design.
-Mike

#1154 5 years ago

dung I also found this info in an older thread.
"The early BK's had System 6 power supplies with the transformer in the head and the GI relay mounted in the head and not on the power supply.

The later ones had the relay on the power supply and the transformer mounted in the lower cab (like the other System 7's)."

-Mike

#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

And I will chime in and say that my wife and I both really had a great time hanging out chatting with you and thank you so very much for being such a cool person to be around.
I personally thank you for helping me finally get a Black Knight and for MaxAsh for connecting us together.
-Mike

Welcome to the club. I am glad it made it into the hands of a huge fan.

#1156 5 years ago
Quoted from Troyster42:

I'll look at it. I did repin that connector too. Most of the 9 pin headers when I had the boards out I went and replaced them. I probably wont get to that until tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Well, they are working now. I cleaned the switches, I read in another thread someone had about the same issue got mad and started pushing the buttons fast and it started working because they were dirty Anyway I went through the connectors to make sure they were tight up to 2j12 I checked continuity and I had it. I plugged 2j12 back in to check for Volts at the coil and thought why not, I hit the button and they are back. I'm happy they are working but would really like to know why. Now to the scores. I'm a little lost on this part. I have pinscores so I am only using the 5V. It doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason if I move a connector if it comes or goes. Its the 1,000s digit mostly always on as 0 sometimes just 1 on both player 1 and 3. I think that is strobe 5. I guess my question is, do the segments get turned on by completing the circuit? If so wouldn't this be more of something shorting then an open? I thought I found a good write up on how the scores work but I forgot where I found it. Any farther help is appreciated. I did get to kind of play a game today.

#1157 5 years ago

Just an update. I did repin Ij6 and found out it seems to be a bad solder on the header pin. If I take the plastic housing and move it a little up or down the problem goes away, another self inflected wound. I put new header pins in it but was in to much of a hurry I guess. I need to adjust 1 switch then it should be running. I still want to repin the rest of the connectors but that can be done a little at a time.

#1159 5 years ago

Well, I took the boards out looked at the solder joint, looked ok to me. I resolder all of the pins. Put it back in and for the first minute or so it was fine and then the 1000s digit began to glow yet again. I moved the connector and it went back off. After about 5 minutes it stayed on and would not go off. I turned it back on today and the same thing happened but after a while the digit mainly stayed off. Up until that point I thought it might be a thermal thing or the capacitor. Now thinking it might be a cracked solder joint at the cap or the IC chip. I noticed when I would move the connector up and down the board would flex a little too. Back out it comes again.Any other suggestions to look for something else while its out please let me know.

#1160 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I had an early production run here that I just handed off to another local collector last night. Is there anything in particular that you want documented? I can drop him a line.
I took some photos, but not many.

Just curious if there are any other oddities. My sample pinball magic has no gameplay differences, few art differences, different rails, but the headache is that there are hardware changes so normal repair methods do not always apply.

#1161 5 years ago

Picking up a BK on Monday. I will be joining this club!!! It's been a long time coming.

#1162 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Picking up a BK on Monday. I will be joining this club!!! It's been a long time coming.

Welcome! Post up pics when you get it!!

#1163 5 years ago

Going to join this club very soon! My just-purchased BK is packed and on her way now....should receive some time next week! Original boards, early System 6 setup, Mayfair backglass, decent cabinet with only a few marks, good plastics and nice playfield for an un-retouched original. Can't wait...

Pack 01 (resized).jpgPack 01 (resized).jpgPack 02 (resized).jpgPack 02 (resized).jpg
#1165 5 years ago

Anybody know someone who's parting out a BK? I need 1, 1" round insert (2x bonus) need an original with the BK octagonal facteted insert.

Anybody know if these inserts were used on any other game?

#1166 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Anybody know someone who's parting out a BK? I need 1, 1" round insert (2x bonus) need an original with the BK octagonal facteted insert.
Anybody know if these inserts were used on any other game?

That's gonna be a tough one. If you are concerned with them all matching you might be better off popping all the bonus inserts out and replacing them. Or at least 2x and 5x so you keep some symmetry. You could get the starburst inserts that CPR used on their playfields instead of plain ones.

bkproject41 (resized).jpgbkproject41 (resized).jpg

I'm not aware of any other game that had jeweled inserts other than BK.

#1167 5 years ago

I got some from Pinball Life a while back. Search their site for “gem insert”.

#1168 5 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

“gem insert”.

Yep that’s them. PERFECT!

#1169 5 years ago

The starburst inserts just don’t look right on this game.

Very disappointed CPR used them.

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:The starburst inserts just don’t look right on this game.

100% agree with you. They used them on the Firepower play fields too. Just doesn't look right to those of us that spent "years of our lives" on the original games.

#1171 5 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

I got some from Pinball Life a while back. Search their site for “gem insert”.

Wow! I didn't know that anyone still made those or stocked them! That's awesome! Might look a bit off if only one of the 4 is replaced. Two of my bonus inserts look more purple than blue.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

100% agree with you. They used them on the Firepower play fields too. Just doesn't look right to those of us that spent "years of our lives" on the original games.

I realize it's personal taste but I have no issue with either FP or BK having the starburst inserts. Don't get me wrong, if they had done BK with the jeweled inserts that would have been great but I think both games look fantastic with the starburst inserts and LEDs. Then again, I'm not a traditionalist and I didn't play any of these games in my youth.

#1172 5 years ago

I really liked the way the "jewels' fit with the theme on black knight. On other games it doesn't make as much sense

#1173 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

The starburst inserts just don’t look right on this game.

I think I read somewhere that it would have been difficult and costly to have someone manufacture the jeweled inserts just for CPRs run of BK playfields.

#1174 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I think I read somewhere that it would have been difficult and costly to have someone manufacture the jeweled inserts just for CPRs run of BK playfields.

I have a CPR playfield and do miss the jeweled inserts, which I had in my machine for many years prior to restoring.

#1175 5 years ago

Starburst or jeweled, it's still impressive what goes into designing and manufacturing a reproduction playfield.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo10.html

#1176 5 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

That was the excuse CPR used. The cost difference was negotiable. I have a CPR playfield and do miss the jeweled inserts, which I had in my machine for many years prior to restoring.

If memory serves CPR has to submit a large order of each type and color of insert being used in order to get them made. The order in turn takes a good long while to get made and that is part of why playfield runs in the past were staged years in advance. So, don't really feel like it isn't a legitimate reason as to why they did not order them for just bk.

#1177 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If memory serves CPR has to submit a large order of each type and color of insert being used in order to get them made. The order in turn takes a good long while to get made and that is part of why playfield runs in the past were staged years in advance. So, don't really feel like it isn't a legitimate reason as to why they did not order them for just bk.

Would the molds even have been available?

#1178 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think I read this was the biggest issue. This would have been a very special order because these are used in so few (two, maybe three?) games.

For a bunch of guys that work that hard to make small batches of reproduction playfields to exacting detail, I truly can't believe that if the cost difference was minimal, they wouldn't have put in the same style of inserts as the originals. The additional cost would have simply been passed along to the customers and I doubt anyone would have complained.

There had to be more to it than that. And I don't buy into this being the easier option. Have a look at the link above and consider the effort that goes into completing a single playfield...

#1179 5 years ago

Looking for some experienced insight to a problem I am having on my BK.

When the bottom right and upper left drop go down in time an arrow is not rewarded.

The timer keeps running ,expires,and resets.Nothing happens when you get them down in time.

The other 2 work as they are supposed to as far as granting the arrow.

Scratching my head over here

Thanks
Marshall

#1180 5 years ago

The drops come back up but nothing is rewarded

#1181 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09: The timer keeps running ,expires,and resets.Nothing happens when you get them down in time.
l

sounds like one (or more) drop target switches aren't working on each of those banks. All three have to work or you can't score the bank. Take the glass off and start a game. Manually trip each target, one at a time, and figure out which ones don't score points. Then inspect the switches for those targets beneath the playfield.

#1182 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

sounds like one (or more) drop target switches aren't working on each of those banks. All three have to work or you can't score the bank. Take the glass off and start a game. Manually trip each target, one at a time, and figure out which ones don't score points. Then inspect the switches for those targets beneath the playfield.

Well shit man.Thank you!
Couple things popped free
That made my night thanks

#1183 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The real problem is that even when the molds are readily available the quantity of inserts needed is WAY too low. The plastic molding companies aren't interested in loading the mold and filling the press with the appropriate color for a 1,000 pieces. Which is often 800 more than they really need. You want 100,000 pieces? OK, they can maybe work you in. You want them in two colors, well, that's a color change charge. So you get them made when they feel like it and you pay thru the nose for the few you get. I am impressed that CPR does as well as they do at getting inserts. It would be awesome if someone in the plastics industry could help them out.

#1184 5 years ago

Cabinet switch question...the game i'm working on has no capacitors on the cabinet switches. Were those introduced when flipper coils went to 50V? Is it a good idea to add capacitors anyway, and if so, which ones?

#1185 5 years ago

Note: the company that supplied Williams with the color inserts and lane guides
----- from that time period went out of business in the early 80's.

#1186 5 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: the company that supplied Williams with the color inserts and lane guides
----- from that time period went out of business in the early 80's.

Ya but just copy paste them to a new manufacture

#1187 5 years ago

Black Knight is in the house!!! Finally getting the pin that hooked me on pinball. I was going the set it up and play it, but I am gonna take my time. Been waiting long enough that I might as well tweak it before I set it up. The cabinet is in very good condition and not faded. I will grab a repro backglass for it since the original has been majorly "touched" up, and it deserves a new one. The playfield is in decent condition. Slight wear over right Magna-Save, some mylar missing behind the pop bumper, some slight wear at upper playfield ball entrance, but overall very good condition for being 38 years old! The bottom of the cabinet was coming apart some and felt too flimsy to hold the speaker. I have removed the base and will replace with 1/2" plywood, recut for speaker, power switch, etc. While at it, I removed the playfield and have torn down the topside. I will rebuild the slingshots as they are very loose and replace the slingshot switches while at it. It came with two factory CPU's and has a Rottendog in it. It has some LED's, Rottendog LED displays, and a PinballPro speaker. I will rerubber with Titans and rebuild the sound board as one of the capacitors is starting the "bulge". I'll update anything else I see that needs to be addressed.

20180806_181809 (resized).jpg20180806_181809 (resized).jpg20180806_181815 (resized).jpg20180806_181815 (resized).jpg20180806_181820 (resized).jpg20180806_181820 (resized).jpg20180806_192658 (resized).jpg20180806_192658 (resized).jpg20180806_192707 (resized).jpg20180806_192707 (resized).jpg20180806_194604 (resized).jpg20180806_194604 (resized).jpg20180806_201212 (resized).jpg20180806_201212 (resized).jpg20180806_203628 (resized).jpg20180806_203628 (resized).jpg20180807_162602 (resized).jpg20180807_162602 (resized).jpg20180807_204247 (resized).jpg20180807_204247 (resized).jpg20180807_205155 (resized).jpg20180807_205155 (resized).jpg
#1188 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Going to join this club very soon! My just-purchased BK is packed and on her way now....should receive some time next week! Original boards, early System 6 setup, Mayfair backglass, decent cabinet with only a few marks, good plastics and nice playfield for an un-retouched original. Can't wait...[quoted image][quoted image]

Finally arrived today!! Unpacked and staged, assembly / initial triage will have to wait until the weekend.

03 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpgIMG_5722 (resized).jpgIMG_5722 (resized).jpg
#1189 5 years ago

I've got my new Black Knight up and running - after getting through some scoring issues (dirty or bent leafs on switches), burned out bulbs, and a pin not making solid contact with a Molex connector on the sound board it's playing pretty well. I will post some pictures after next weekend's project (LED conversion, polish/waxing of playfield, new legs, new plastics, new rubbers).

One issue that's bugging me: if I hit a ball too fast to the upper playfield Ball Lock Trough when it's empty, the ball will sail right through it without getting locked about 50% of the time. I took off the plastic over the trough and there is the steel plate between the top of the trough and the plastic, and the trough itself looks ok. Is this normal for Black Knight (I don't recall running into this issue playing thousands of games on BK in my youth)? Would adding a Cliffy Protector help stop a ball from passing through the trough?

Thanx for any insights....

#1190 5 years ago

Yes the cliffy helps. What pitch do you have it set too? The higher the pitch the more frequent the fly through.

#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

One issue that's bugging me: if I hit a ball too fast to the upper playfield Ball Lock Trough when it's empty, the ball will sail right through it without getting locked about 50% of the time.

Yes, it seems to be normal behaviour. I believe that someone on this thread posted a fix where you add a piece of cardboard and tape to the ball guide so the ball hits it and loses momentum as it's coming around and stays in the trough. Here's the link to the post...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/2#post-1836717

#1192 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Yes the cliffy helps. What pitch do you have it set too? The higher the pitch the more frequent the fly through.

I haven’t played mine yet but I was going to say this same thing. Cliffy it

#1193 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Aha! I did not think about pitch contributing to this. I have my pitch currently set to a steep 7.8 (I like a fast game). I think most people in this forum have theirs set to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 - I'll play around with those settings this weekend and see if it improves the fly-through. I'm unable to find the BK Cliffy set at the usual online pinball parts sites so I sent an email to the contact on the Cliffy site itself asking if I can purchase it directly.

Quoted from dzorbas:

Yes, it seems to be normal behaviour. I believe that someone on this thread posted a fix where you add a piece of cardboard and tape to the ball guide so the ball hits it and loses momentum as it's coming around and stays in the trough. Here's the link to the post...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/2#post-1836717

If I find the 6.0-6.5 pitch too easy/slow, I'm going to try this simple mod and see how it does at 7.8. Thank you for the link - I just joined this club a few weeks ago and after trying to catch up on 1100+ posts I'm sure I missed some things that would have been useful for me!

Thank you all for your feedback! Love this community....

#1194 5 years ago

Bought a Black Knight pin last year with LEDs & Topper for $1800. It worked well. Haven't played for several months cuz have epilepsy & the flashing lights are a problem. However, recently put on the market for local sale, & the machine works except for the ball launcher. The balls stay in place after repeated resets. The wire connections look solid, have 3 balls in place & batteries are good.

Please help! Tx - rich (Appleton, Wisconsin)

BK PSCrop Setup Aug 1st 2017 (resized).jpgBK PSCrop Setup Aug 1st 2017 (resized).jpgBK Topper 2017 (resized).jpgBK Topper 2017 (resized).jpgBKf3 2017 (resized).jpgBKf3 2017 (resized).jpgBowling Alleycats Dec9th 2017 (resized).jpgBowling Alleycats Dec9th 2017 (resized).jpgBreakFlyingSwords4AcesArk Fronts (resized).jpgBreakFlyingSwords4AcesArk Fronts (resized).jpg
#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Aha! I did not think about pitch contributing to this. I have my pitch currently set to a steep 7.8 (I like a fast game). I think most people in this forum have theirs set to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 - I'll play around with those settings this weekend and see if it improves the fly-through.

Wow...I think even .6 degrees made a big difference. I lowered the pitch to 7.2 - the game is still pretty fast and I had 8 clear fast shots to the empty trough on the upper deck and the ball held each time.

I'm still going to put in the Cliffy there....he got back to me this morning and sold it to me for $27 including shipping. I should have it Wednesday.

#1196 5 years ago
Quoted from RichPundit:

Bought a Black Knight pin last year with LEDs & Topper for $1800. It worked well. Haven't played for several months cuz have epilepsy & the flashing lights are a problem. However, recently put on the market for local sale, & the machine works except for the ball launcher. The balls stay in place after repeated resets. The wire connections look solid, have 3 balls in place & batteries are good.
Please help! Tx - rich (Appleton, Wisconsin)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you tried going back to 44’s or 47’s (incandescent bulbs)? Personally I can’t stand LEDs

#1197 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Have you tried going back to 44’s or 47’s (incandescent bulbs)? Personally I can’t stand LEDs

TX, but want to sell. Why would the lights affect the next ball launcher? It worked well for months with LEDs …

#1198 5 years ago

Have you tried running the solenoid test? Gotta make sure the outhole kicker solenoid is still capable of firing. If it works in the solenoid test, I'd verify the game is seeing all 3 balls in the trough using the switch test.

#1199 5 years ago
Quoted from RichPundit:

Haven't played for several months cuz have epilepsy & the flashing lights are a problem.

If the flashing you're talking about is coming from the general illumination, you may be able to disable the GI relay so that the lights are always just on--no flashing. Just a thought!

#1200 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

If the flashing you're talking about is coming from the general illumination, you may be able to disable the GI relay so that the lights are always just on--no flashing. Just a thought!

I like this idea! Hate to have you sell a game if you love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,195 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/24?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.