Topic Stats

• 2,051 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by Michel_K17
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 692 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

772128C0-11B5-40C1-9B70-90EDB3C351B2 (resized).jpeg
20181027_172012 (resized).jpg
bk bumper post (resized).jpg
BK Glass (resized).jpg
BK_Glass (resized).jpg
BK.jpg
20190811_151632 (resized).jpg
G - 20190915_083856 - Copy (resized).jpg
F - 20190915_094830 - Copy (resized).jpg
E -20190915_083120 (resized).jpg
D - 20190915_083827 (resized).jpg
C - 20190914_135804 (resized).jpg
B - 20190914_135540 (resized).jpg
A - 20190914_133434 (resized).jpg
9 - 20190914_133206 (resized).jpg
8 - 20190914_133030 (resized).jpg

There are 2051 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 42.
#51 6 years ago

Saw a bit of an info thing about the new movie Grown Ups 2 coming out in the next couple weeks. One of the scenes from the movie had a Black Knight in the background, next to a hyperball of all things.

-Hans

#52 6 years ago

Saw a bit of an info thing about the new movie Grown Ups 2 coming out in the next couple weeks. One of the scenes from the movie had a Black Knight in the background, next to a hyperball of all things.
-Hans

It happens.

BKHB_007.jpg

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Looks great!
What is your play strategy for reaching that high of a score?

Thanks for comments ! I concentrate my shots for the extra ball, in a very good game i can get two extra balls and exceptionnal game 3 extra balls. I try to get the 3 balls multiball of course but most important i shot for the spinner shot 5000x3 in 3 balls multiball for 15,000 each revolution.

Most important, the game is tuned perfectly, no bumps when the ball reach the flippers by the inline and strong flippers to make each shots possible, nice spinner that turn smoothly.

All BK i tried were badly tuned and it's virtually impossible to reach the default score of 2.5 millions.

I made lot of 2+ millions games and i feel that i can reach 4 millions in the future

#54 6 years ago

Black knight is a fantastic pin, started playing it when I was I kid, it was the first pin I bought, in the very early 90's, sold it, it looks like now I may have the chance to buy a very good example, fingers crossed, deal is coming together, people just don't understand the presence, stance & how powerful this pin is & what it means to me, I am glad there are so many BK around that pin heads can play, experience the challenge, so many people making bits for repairs & resto's to keep these works of Art in working condition

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

It may need a Big Blue, I bought one from The Real Bob Roberts but haven't needed it so far.

What's a "Big Blue"?

QSS

#56 6 years ago

Oops, double post.

QSS

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

What's a "Big Blue"?
QSS

The big capacitor in the head.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

The big capacitor in the head.

Gotcha. Thanks

QSS

#59 6 years ago

I was posting a vid for someone in regard to a Space Invaders I just LED'd out, and while I was at it I took a vid of my BK all LED'd out.

It's an early model with the System 6 power supply, transformer in the head type. I've owned this machine about 20 years and have been slowly rebuilding it after having an early abused life.

It is full LED.
Cointaker Frosted Warm White in all the GI.
Color matched inserts (Cointaker and Pinball Life).
Displays are custom made by MSpeath.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I was posting a vid for someone in regard to a Space Invaders I just LED'd out, and while I was at it I took a vid of my BK all LED'd out.
It's an early model with the System 6 power supply, transformer in the head type. I've owned this machine about 20 years and have been slowly rebuilding it after having an early abused life.
It is full LED.
Cointaker Frosted Warm White in all the GI.
Color matched inserts (Cointaker and Pinball Life).
Displays are custom made by MSpeath.
ยป YouTube video

I REALLY like the light blue in the backbox, what LEDs were used back there?
-mof

#61 6 years ago

Cliffy came through for me this week and shipped a BK protector set to me.

I was able to install the one on the upper PF fine. I noticed one tiny issue. I am missing a screw (it appears) that goes in the hairpin turn of the metal ramp piece -- the corner between the turn around and the ball lock.

Does anyone know what kind of screw goes in there? It looks very narrow. I cannot imagine it since it "should" support the ramp from moving as well. Cliffy made a hole just FOR that purpose of being better anchored there. But the area is so TINY, I didn't see how I could get anything in there. Is it not a screw, but a post?

(see pic)

2) I wasn't able to figure out an easy way to install the lower PF Cliffy... It wants you to remove the metal bracket above the ball lock hole, but it "feels" like I'd have to remove the entire upper PF to get room to get the screws out. I have a 90' screwdriver but it still wants a 1" clearance to turn, and I don't think I have that.

(see pic)

thanks for the help on 1 or 2!
-mof

20130703_bk_cliffy2.jpg 20130703_bk_cliffy1.jpg

#63 6 years ago

I just upgraded by speaker with an 8 ohm Klipsch full range driver. Sounds nice!

1.jpg 2.jpg

#64 6 years ago

That looks cool, I love klpisch, but be careful you are not taxing your sound board amp too much. That is a pretty large magnet and I bet that speaker likes to have a lot more power that a pinball sound board amplifier can provide. If you end up wanting to do something different, go with a PinballPro system. Their driver is designed and manufactured specifically with the pinball power capabilities in mind. Maybe a softer surround or a lighter magnet etc. this allows the speaker to move much more freely at the lower power levels offered by a pinball amplifier.

#65 6 years ago

Thanks for the info Pafasa, will keep an eye/ear on it. ( Would hate to have to rebuild that board again) Anyone know what kinda power range (min/max wattage) these old boards put out? This driver can handle a lot, but supposedly needs only 1 watt to work.

#66 6 years ago

If it is a very efficient driver (only needing 1 watt) you may be ok. If you find you want more volume, pay attention to your sound board. They are very simple and low power amplifiers.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Cliffy came through for me this week and shipped a BK protector set to me.
I was able to install the one on the upper PF fine. I noticed one tiny issue. I am missing a screw (it appears) that goes in the hairpin turn of the metal ramp piece -- the corner between the turn around and the ball lock.
Does anyone know what kind of screw goes in there? It looks very narrow. I cannot imagine it since it "should" support the ramp from moving as well. Cliffy made a hole just FOR that purpose of being better anchored there. But the area is so TINY, I didn't see how I could get anything in there. Is it not a screw, but a post?
(see pic)
2) I wasn't able to figure out an easy way to install the lower PF Cliffy... It wants you to remove the metal bracket above the ball lock hole, but it "feels" like I'd have to remove the entire upper PF to get room to get the screws out. I have a 90' screwdriver but it still wants a 1" clearance to turn, and I don't think I have that.
(see pic)
thanks for the help on 1 or 2!
-mof

#1 - No screw present, but every one I've seen had a long finishing nail there. Doesn't hold it down, but does keep the steel from shifting laterally. It's a similar nail to the two that are next to the light bulb under your plastic covering the upper right drop targets.

#2 - NOT easy to get to. IIRC I used a screwdriver bit that you'd normally use in a drill, and turned it with a small box wrench. It is possible to do, as I did install it on my original playfield before swapping over, I just also remember it being difficult to access.

-Hans

6 months later
#68 5 years ago

well I'm busting my way into this club,
spent plenty on BK in the early 80's pinching coins where i could
bought a beater in the early 90's sold if off few years later,

now got myself this Beauty from my buddy in San fran who sent it over, Bad luck my friend on the 49ers hope they can make it one better next year,

it made the long boat ride with no issues, a few tweaks & she will be good

DSC02825.JPG
DSC02826.JPG
DSC02836.JPG
DSC02835.JPG

#69 5 years ago

Nice

2 weeks later
#70 5 years ago

Made killer improvements to lighting and glare reduction in my BK...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-lighting-tip-7-its-a-magic-number#post-1440694

Hope to add a few bulbs into this playfield soon, has anyone tried adding bulbs? Any success?

-mof

#71 5 years ago

Black Knight was my first pinball, purchased it in 1988. Nice clean game, playfield has no bare spots, cabinet is in great shape and plays great. Backglass is another story but I know that can be taken care of.

I like many of the newer games, but this game while not complicated, is tough to play and is unforgiving. There are no deep rule sets or fun video modes, it is just plain tough and fun in my opinion. I have no plans to ever sell mine and will probably have it another 25 years or so I hope.

I did reluctantly replace the lights with LEDs, and I have to admit I like the look and I am glad I did. Looks great and operates much cooler which is a good thing.

1 month later
#72 5 years ago

Guess what I got today...

IMG_0023.jpg

Old one wasn't too bad, but damn this new one is freaking beautiful!

1 month later
#73 5 years ago

Guess I'm in the Black Knight club now.
Was at a auto swap meet a couple of weeks ago at the Texas Motor Speedway in Dallas.
Found a Black Knight Pinball Machine there, with a $200 price tag on it. Talked with the seller for a couple of minutes, when without me doing any haggling or anything, he offered it to me for $40 if I took it off his hands right then. He told me he had bought stuff, and no longer had room to take home both the new stuff he had bought (apparently he bought 2 soda vending machines) and take the pinball machine back home. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.
The Back box was starting to come apart, and the bottom was trying to fall out, and the game is in non-working condition. The back glass is essentially trash.
When you turn the game on, a few lights come on, but nothing else. At some point, someone changed out the main board with a 3rd party board, which, I can not find any information on online. So, maybe it's ok. Maybe needs to replace. The sound board has Grogar hand written on one of the stickers. No sure if it will have the correct roms or not.
The playfield looks fairly good except for some bad wear on the right magna save. Found a place that sells a decal set on ebay, that includes magna save stickers. So, thinking of maybe using a bit of wood putty to fill the dimpled spot, then add the laminated sticker. Sticker set also included all the insert decals.
Have fixed the bottom of the cabinet. The backbox, had some damage, to make it solid, I added a couple of wood blocks inside the box, glued and pulled the box back together, and screwed into the blocks. I can cover the screws with a bit of wood putty and paint over them, so that you can't see it without opening the back box.
All the plastics are there, and in good shape. Have gotten a quote on a new back glass. Did the novus and waxing of the play field. Changed out the rubber and light bulbs. And will be looking to take it to the PinSmith in Dallas to see if he can get it working, or at least tell me what it needs, maybe sometime in the next month.

2 months later
#74 5 years ago

Just picked up my first pinball machine, a pretty nice Black Knight. I'm currently working on sorting out its few small glitches and will then probably play it a while before deciding whether to refurbish it cosmetically. I did spring for a new Mayfair backglass as the one on the machine was quite atrocious, having been attacked at some point with spray paint to the extent that none of the game status notifcations are visible, even when lit.

Outside of that, just a weak flipper and one string of controlled lamps to sort out. The game plays fine otherwise and all the rules I know about fire when they should.

Dave

#75 5 years ago

Hi I got a BK2K can i get a partial membership in here? I had a BK had to sell it due to lack of space. Miss it already.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Just picked up my first pinball machine, a pretty nice Black Knight. I'm currently working on sorting out its few small glitches and will then probably play it a while before deciding whether to refurbish it cosmetically. I did spring for a new Mayfair backglass as the one on the machine was quite atrocious, having been attacked at some point with spray paint to the extent that none of the game status notifcations are visible, even when lit.
Outside of that, just a weak flipper and one string of controlled lamps to sort out. The game plays fine otherwise and all the rules I know about fire when they should.
Dave

You will be glad you have the new backglass. It pays dividends.
-mof

#77 5 years ago

Anyone have a photo of what I assume must have been a serial number label on the back of the lower cabinet? Mine has gone completely white and I'd like to try recreating one. Thanks!

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Anyone have a photo of what I assume must have been a serial number label on the back of the lower cabinet? Mine has gone completely white and I'd like to try recreating one. Thanks!

not sure if this is what your looking for but its the only sticker on the back of my lower cabinet.
20140805_225247[1].jpg
20140805_225108[1].jpg

#79 5 years ago

and is the bell ringing solenoid included in the solenoid diagnostics when it cycles through all the solenoids ?

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

That is one nice BK Blazed!

hey silverballer is there really a town named pinville in MO. ? lol

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Guess what I got today...

That box looks beautiful.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from boydsc331:

hey silverballer is there really a town named pinville in MO.

Nah, but it would be pretty cool if there actually was. I would be the mayor.

#83 5 years ago

Last night was a very good night in Black Knight land.
I'm the lucky new owner of this gem:
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/bk460631/slideshow/

* new legs
* rottendog MPU + power boards
* new plastics
* all leds
* very good cab and head
-mof

top pop2.jpg

#84 5 years ago

Wow, good shape, by the way what is a maximum value for a nice bk full original?

#85 5 years ago

Count me in too! Picked up this project machine a couple of weeks ago.

I know own the two machines I grew up with. We had a Big Deal at home, but I spent all my money on BK whenever I could find it.

14512528618_8c6b0c55ce_z.jpg

#86 5 years ago

Congrats mof, Black_Knight.

#87 5 years ago

Some of mine;
P1010004.JPGP1010002.JPGDSCN0375.JPG

#88 5 years ago

Wow! Automotive clearcoat?

#89 5 years ago

Has anyone ventured to drill and get a bulb under the top right plastic section?

I can't help but wonder how much better it would look with light there.

-mof

#90 5 years ago

Depends on the plastic. Some of them are too opaque, and you don't see the light shining through.

-Hans

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

Wow! Automotive clearcoat?

Yep.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone ventured to drill and get a bulb under the top right plastic section?
I can't help but wonder how much better it would look with light there.
-mof

Yes, looks great. I also put one between the ramps.

JMS_2252.JPG
JMS_2253.JPG

JMS_3560.jpg
#93 5 years ago

Also, I highly recommend this mod. It keeps the ball from flying through the lock, and the aluminum tape blends right in. There's folded cardboard under the tape.

JMS_2250.JPG

#94 5 years ago

Swamp, would you be able to post a photo of the area where you added those 2 bulbs when they are lit? I'd like to see what kind of effect that had.

Dave

#95 5 years ago

As an aside, I've been working through some issues over in the Tech section and making decent progress. Replacing the left flipper mechanism solved the weak flipper issue, well enough that I am going to swap the right one as well. The old coil stop was badly caved in and mushroomed and the plunger was quite rough and mushroomed a bit on the end. The fiber links were very sloppy and the switch well pitted. I would guess these were the original parts. Sadly, the integral coil stop means replacing the whole base plate so I just got two assemblies from Marco. I also got my bad column of lights, digits 2-9, working although they are misbehaving. At least they are no longer dead. Turned out to be a bad TIP42.

All in all, good progress and the game is at least fully playable.

Dave

#96 5 years ago

My Black Knight has yet to enjoy a life of fine restoration. I bought it several years ago but have been using it in my shop only as a testing platform - it needs to be moved so I can put Pharaoh in its place. So what makes it special? Certainly you guys have built a lot of VERY nice machines - I have a set of NOS clearcoated PF's (not repro) and NOS plastics, plus a repro backglass. I can't wait to do the whole thing and make it cherry .

Chris

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, looks great. I also put one between the ramps.

Do you recommend these two spots, or would you make any adjustments? I will start drilling !
-mof

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Swamp, would you be able to post a photo of the area where you added those 2 bulbs when they are lit? I'd like to see what kind of effect that had.
Dave

Sorry, I had to hunt for it. I added it to my post above.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisM:

So what makes it special?

In my case, it's special because I bought it when my son was born, and it was my first pin. At the time, BK stood out to me as a game I remembered playing and enjoying in 1980. Now I just like playing it for the challenge, and I enjoy the best-in-class art. There's just something so iconic about it, I can't imagine letting it go.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do you recommend these two spots, or would you make any adjustments? I will start drilling !
-mof

Those locations worked for me, but I recommend a bulb condom on the far right one, to keep the direct light out of the player's eyes. Actually I can see a 3rd one that I added under the knight, on the upper right plastic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2051 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 42.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside