• 3,201 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Awesome! Black Knight Pinball 1980 machine by Williams. Brand New Playfield!  eBay (resized).jpeg
IMG_0343 (resized).jpeg
20240414_163709 (resized).jpg
IMG_4866 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4867 (resized).jpeg
20240211_173024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
100_5044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240202_022524_Chrome (resized).jpg
SndBd_Conn-2 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-3 (resized).png
SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 65.
#901 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Here's the latest. I think the red and yellow background is finally cleaned up, not that you could tell seeing as they will be printed fairly small. My old eyes are going bad so I can't be certain.
Anyway, if someone wants to print them up and test fit them, go to town. I have a colour laser printer so mine won't look very good until I get them printed on vinyl. I think this is the highest res I can upload. If you want me to email you either the PNG or the PSD file, send me a PM.

These look good, I previously pursued your original idea, which is a closeup of the knight face from my original backglass. I am happy with my result. I also think the three different is a cool approach, nice job.

#902 6 years ago

Folks,

I've received a few requests for copies of the target files. Here's a link where you can grab the best files I have:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s5N316C0IyQvD0wxYD0tzlex1P3HGt?usp=sharing

If someone gets a set printed and installed, I'd love to see some pictures posted!

Let me know if you have any issues with the files!

#903 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Folks,
I've received a few requests for copies of the target files. Here's a link where you can grab the best files I have:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s5N316C0IyQvD0wxYD0tzlex1P3HGt?usp=sharing
If someone gets a set printed and installed, I'd love to see some pictures posted!

wow just looked at the pics of your game...didn't look that bad on your phone..that was a long game night thanks to the pinball wizard

#904 6 years ago
Quoted from itshowtime:

wow just looked at the pics of your game

Definitely a project machine Ron! Waiting for the hardtop to be released. Going to start disassembly today and see if I can start sanding this puppy down!

And yes, Eddie made it a long night last night!

#905 6 years ago

Playfield looks much better like this than when I got it! Onto the upper playfield. I'll see if I can make some new rails for it while I'm waiting!

IMG_20180120_183238 (resized).jpgIMG_20180120_183238 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180120_141731 (resized).jpgIMG_20180120_141731 (resized).jpg

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Playfield looks much better like this than when I got it! Onto the upper playfield. I'll see if I can make some new rails for it while I'm waiting!

I cut new rails out of red oak and then poly’d them when I did my playfield swap, very happy with results.

#907 6 years ago

I used maple for my new rails.

#908 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I cut new rails out of red oak

Yup! Used this stuff when I did my Firepower but I painted them black.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.oak-hobby-board-12-x-3-x-4-feet.1000761164.html

Still debating what colour to paint them this time. Maybe red, blue or black. Or just clear them and be done with it. And I want to make the pieces on the upper playfield one piece on each side instead of the smaller pieces that were cut to accommodate the screws holding the playfields together!

#909 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

...And I want to make the pieces on the upper playfield one piece on each side instead of the smaller pieces that were cut to accommodate the screws holding the playfields together!

Good call

#910 6 years ago

What I don't get is that on the top right corner of the upper playfield, they drilled a hole in the rail and put a screw in that fits. Farther down the rails on both the left and right sides, where it is much more visible, they cut this huge ugly gap in the rail for the screw.

Guess they had their reasons...

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I used maple for my new rails.

Both maple & oak are nice hard woods and a good choice over the ugly laminated stock pine.

#912 6 years ago

I had a local (at the time) cabinet shop make my rails in white oak. Ohhhh baby do they look nice, and they can take a beating too.

-Hans

#913 6 years ago

I recently just picked up a BK in a trade. It was supposed to be 100% working but when I got it home the magnets on either side won't activate. I checked and both fuses are good and I go into the test and each relay is activating. It looks like it might be transistor 31 and 33 on the board. Could they both have went out or is it something simple I could be overlooking (cable not hooked up/etc.)?

#914 6 years ago

Always eliminate the simplest things first like the actual switches.

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I recently just picked up a BK in a trade. It was supposed to be 100% working but when I got it home the magnets on either side won't activate. I checked and both fuses are good and I go into the test and each relay is activating. It looks like it might be transistor 31 and 33 on the board. Could they both have went out or is it something simple I could be overlooking (cable not hooked up/etc.)?

There's a second white wire that needs to be on the ground braid

#916 6 years ago

Yep. Most common reason for the magnets not to work is the ground braid not connected. Though from memory, isn't it white with a red stripe? Either way, you need to have two ground braids connected to that lug in the head box, just in front of the wiring hole.

-Hans

#917 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

isn't it white with a red stripe

Maybe? I can never remember for sure. Problem is I know some williams use white w/ red stripe for the flipper 30V so I get worried

#918 6 years ago

If the lower flippers work but the magnets do not, its either the fuses under the playfield or most likely the ground wire is not connected to the ground lug at the bottom of the backbox. It is indeed white with red stripe and married the playfield harness with the black connector that connect at the bottom of the backbox.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/17#post-4059959

#919 6 years ago

Got it and THANK YOU ALL!!! It was the darn red and white wire hidden.

1 week later
#920 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

The BK I have currently is for a friend; I tried to talk him into going with a hardtop, but instead he opted to track down a CPR. New plastics, even! I'm gonna do the pf swap for him, and am *definitely* going to use your drop target decals.

It might be a while before I get to it, as I'm currently in the midst of restoring my F-14 and can only handle having one project going on at a time. But once I get in to it I will thoroughly document the process.

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

but instead he opted to track down a CPR

And what is the going rate on a CPR BK playfield? I know someone that has one but he says there's no chance he's gonna sell it.

The hardtop test fitter posted some pictures today so Outside Edge has to be close to putting them up for sale. Right now, that's my choice based on price.

#922 6 years ago

I don't know what he paid for the CPR but I'm willing to bet it was at least $1K. If it were me I'd absolutely have gone with a hardtop, they are clearly a far better option than those gross full playfield decals. Nice thing about the CPR, though, is I can take my time with trying to do a playfield restoration on what is there (not nearly so beat as a lot of other BKs I've seen). This guy just went with CPR as it would have been a comparable amount of labor to do a full restoration as doing a playfield swap.
Hardtops are a great looking product! I love that there's a relatively economical way to salvage old games that would otherwise have been considered goners.

#923 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Hardtops are a great looking product! I love that there's a relatively economical way to salvage old games that would otherwise have been considered goners.

My machine is probably gonna cost me around $500 CDN (haven't paid the guy for it yet but have it in my possession). Hardtop delivered to me will be around $450 CDN. Plastics, LED bulbs and other odds and ends may run me $300 CDN. A new backglass will cost me $450 CDN if I really want one.

All said and done, I will have almost $2000 CDN (around $1600 USD) invested in this game and it should play fantastic as long as nothing else blows up. I'm not sure if that's too little or too much but $1000 USD just for a CPR playfield seems a bit crazy. Unfortunately that's the going rate.

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

$1000 USD just for a CPR playfield seems a bit crazy

The thing is, it plays crazy! A new, cc'ed pf on this machine is awesome!!!

I was preparing to refurb a BK when I found a completed one with cpr/Kruzman pf, matched LED's, new bg and a very nice cab. Needless to say, I paid a lot, and sounded crazy at the time. But I couldn't have duplicated it for the price, let alone the time and effort.

And it was worth every penny.

#925 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

And it was worth every penny.

My Firepower has a CPR playfield and plastics, new backglass, Xpin displays, new flipper mechs, full LEDs, a bunch of lighting mods and a nice cab. I've probably invested $2500 USD in it. I've done all the work and I don't think I'd ever sell it or get my money back out of it.

With BK, I wanted a really nice playing machine without spending stupid money. That's why I went with the hardtop option. We'll see what I end up with!

#926 6 years ago

For anyone interested, the BK hardtop is now available for sale on the Outside Edge website!

1 week later
#927 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Folks,

Well, I'm very happy with Dino Z's (@dzorbas) alternate BK drop target artwork. In my opinion, he crushed the 12X repetitive factory art. I did a pretty quick and shoddy job hand cutting and placing, but this will work until I get some sheet mylar to cover and protect the artwork. (DZ, my Black Knight and I thank you again!)

Steveo

20180215_100243 (resized).jpg20180215_100243 (resized).jpg

20180215_104047.jpg20180215_104047.jpg

20180215_104255.jpg20180215_104255.jpg

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

For anyone interested, the BK hardtop is now available for sale on the Outside Edge website!

There is a picture of it on the website but it isn't showing as one of the options available to add to the cart.

#929 6 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

Well, I'm very happy with Dino Z's (dzorbas) alternate BK drop target artwork.

Glad I could help out! I was wondering how it would look seeing as I haven't even printed up any for my game yet. Interesting how you laid them out. My thinking was to put them on opposite of how you did. Definitely a nice change from the boring knight!

Thanks for the props and posting the pics @Steve-o!

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

it isn't showing as one of the options available to add to the cart

I was in touch with Bruce at Outside Edge about a week ago. He said his web person was a bit too eager. Originally you could actually add it to the cart but they disabled that and left the picture of the playfield up. He said they weren't quire ready to roll it out but it should be there soon!

#931 6 years ago

OK thanks.

I have fired them an e-mail on availability and will post their reply.

#932 6 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

OK thanks. I have fired them an e-mail on availability and will post their reply.

I've been told international orders will have to be done via email. Let me know if you get a response. I'm very eager to get mine...

#933 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Glad I could help out! I was wondering how it would look seeing as I haven't even printed up any for my game yet. Interesting how you laid them out. My thinking was to put them on opposite of how you did. Definitely a nice change from the boring knight!
Thanks for the props and posting the pics Steve-o!

I considered laying them out in the reverse order and having the Black Knight and his horse riding inward. The cool thing is is that it is an easy swap to rearrange the drops and change them to either direction. ....and the artwork is infinitely better than the blank red targets.
Steveo

Say Whaaat.jpgSay Whaaat.jpg

#934 6 years ago

For those restoring your Black Knights, check this out: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-whisperers#post-4238558

Sheprd

#935 6 years ago

Question for the Black Knight experts. When on "Free Play" do you ever see either of the arrows light during a game for the free ball or special at the turn-a-round? The arrows light during test and attract mode, but I cannot seem to get into a mode where they light during game play.

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

Question for the Black Knight experts. When on "Free Play" do you ever see either of the arrows light during a game for the free ball or special at the turn-a-round? The arrows light during test and attract mode, but I cannot seem to get into a mode where they light during game play.

The 'Special' for Black Knight is probably one of the hardest modes in pinball. Only lights up during the post-game 'bonus round' following a multi-player game, and only if you complete all 4 sets of drop targets during that round, which is only 30 seconds long. All while manually plunging a non-stop multiball.

The extra ball I get all the time during free play. Default settings are you have to finish all the upper OR lower target sets three times each during a single ball, that gets the first extra ball. Any subsequent ones you have to finish all 4 sets of drops three times each (which is also what the 'hard' setting needs for the first extra ball).

-Hans

#937 6 years ago

So it seems some of you have a really good understanding of this game. Mine is currently unplayable while I work on it. However, when it was working, I never heard the bell go off, even when I put it in diagnostic mode.

I'm assuming it worked at some point. What causes it to fire? And it should work in diagnostic mode right?

#938 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

So it seems some of you have a really good understanding of this game. Mine is currently unplayable while I work on it. However, when it was working, I never heard the bell go off, even when I put it in diagnostic mode.
I'm assuming it worked at some point. What causes it to fire? And it should work in diagnostic mode right?

It goes off when you get an extra ball, or when you collect bonus but you've already maxed your bonus

#939 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It goes off when you get an extra ball, or when you collect bonus but you've already maxed your bonus

In other words, I may never hear it other than in diagnostic mode!

Thanks for the info!

#940 6 years ago

It goes off when you get an extra ball, or when you collect bonus but you've already maxed your bonus.
+ multi-player games... one with the high score gets bonus round.

#941 6 years ago

Bell goes off in a few spots.

When you max the bonus sword and multipliers, it'll ring on everything after that which would have advanced the bonus. (Short rings)
When you're awarded an extra ball. (Looooong ring)
When you obtain the high score. (Looooong ring)
When you're awarded a free game via the match. (short ring)
When you're the highest scorer in a multiplayer game (# of rings is the player who wins)

Man, when you get that maxed bonus, it's sure as hell draws attention. Black Knight wants everybody to know when someone is having a kick-ass game.

Definitely should work in diagnostics, just like any other solenoid circuit. But it's commonly found with a cut wire, or something else to keep it from ringing. Some venues don't like how loud it gets.

#942 6 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

The 'Special' for Black Knight is probably one of the hardest modes in pinball. Only lights up during the post-game 'bonus round' following a multi-player game, and only if you complete all 4 sets of drop targets during that round, which is only 30 seconds long. All while manually plunging a non-stop multiball.
The extra ball I get all the time during free play. Default settings are you have to finish all the upper OR lower target sets three times each during a single ball, that gets the first extra ball. Any subsequent ones you have to finish all 4 sets of drops three times each (which is also what the 'hard' setting needs for the first extra ball).
-Hans

Thanks... I will test out those sequences. Great information as always!

#943 6 years ago

I just joined the club this past weekend. I have been enjoying reading through the thread. I am probably going to need a few things but first I need to try to find a used (reasonably priced) upper playfield. Mine is toast around the pop bumper. I know some of you have got to have one around somewhere. It doesn't have to be perfect but one that is better than what I have. If you have a nice main playfield too I would look at buying both but really just need the upper. Let me know what you might have available. If I don't find a good upper I'm going to need some good hi res scans of that area to make some water slides. Thanks for the help!

#944 6 years ago

Changing coils on my Black Knight. Question on upper right flipper. Does the black and yellow wire go to middle post on coil or outside post. I put it on outside but now questioning my memory. Always take pictures.

2 weeks later
#945 6 years ago

Joined the club. Very cool game.

1 week later
#946 6 years ago

Does anybody have the file for insert decals? Thanks in advance. Just bought well-working machine. Just needs a good playfield resto, touch up and clear.

#947 6 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Does anybody have the file for insert decals? Thanks in advance. Just bought well-working machine. Just needs a good playfield resto, touch up and clear.

I'll shoot you a PM. I scanned my set as a backup in case I needed another.

#948 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I could use that as well if you don’t Mind please sir

#949 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Me too please?

thanks

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Me too please?
thanks

Would need to PM me your email as the file is to large to send.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 3,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 65.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/19?hl=scottmaggie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.