SndBd_Conn-1 (resized).png
BKUpperTroughMetal (resized).jpg
39AEBF82-A933-49F4-BBBB-BC68B30656EE (resized).jpeg
bk_sst.jpg
IMG_9825 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9824 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9823 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9817 (resized).jpeg

There are 3,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 64.
#501 8 years ago

That looks better than mine if it makes you feel any better. If I could pickup a CPR playfield for something closer to the original price, I would too.

#502 8 years ago

FYI, if the bumper caps were stamped like the originals the black art work would be lower (kind of like branded / melted in) not raised

#503 8 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

FYI, if the bumper caps were stamped like the originals the black art work would be lower (kind of like branded / melted in) not raised

True, but they're still nice, I'm using my original, but like a nice 12$ back up

#504 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Agreed, I'm good with playing this pf but if I could get a new upper/lower in the $600-700 range Id go for it.
IMG_0723.jpg IMG_0724.jpg IMG_0722.jpg

Touch that sucker up and clear it, you'll be thankful you did

#505 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Touch that sucker up and clear it, you'll be thankful you did

That is a possibility but I just bought 2 project pins that I have yet to pick up, they are higher priority as BK is fully playable...we shall see...Becky and I just played a few 2 player games on BK, I m really starting to appreciate this pin.

#506 8 years ago

Best way to go, Leave it playable in that condition, I had a beater BK & was tempted to resto it, in the end picked up a very nice original.

#507 8 years ago

Every time I looked at my playfield wrong paint was chipping off, ha, I even blew some dust off of it, and some red paint fluttered away, so I put my big boy britches on and touched up and cleared that beast

#508 8 years ago

Can anybody help me out with this? I have this one last post to put back on for the sight side of the spinner. The screw won't tighten down. I notice the hole underneath is very different than anywhere else on the playfield. Is there something special that goes in there or is my hole just blown out?

IMG_20150822_112733204.jpgIMG_20150822_112733204.jpg

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Can anybody help me out with this? I have this one last post to put back on for the sight side of the spinner. The screw won't tighten down. I notice the hole underneath is very different than anywhere else on the playfield. Is there something special that goes in there or is my hole just blown out?

IMG_20150822_112733204.jpg

It's been several years since I did my swap, but I believe that particular post gets a wood screw and it looks like yours is blown out. Drill it through and use a tee nut and a machine screw, or shove some tooth picks in there and see if that holds. It doesn't look like there would be any interference if you drill it through.DSCN1176.JPGDSCN1176.JPG

#510 8 years ago

For those of you that think my playfield price is too high, what do you believe a fair price for a repro set is worth?
I did plenty of searches and put that price right in the middle.

Also for what it's worth...

I joined this club back in 1989! BK was what started my collecting addicti---I mean hobby when I was a mere teenager. I worked all summer to buy this big box of mechanical wonder and never looked back. It took about 20 years, but he's back to his old glory. Here's what a "silver knight edition" playfield looks like in my game (not a great picture). I'll probably be buried in this thing.

1.jpg1.jpg

#511 8 years ago
Quoted from jebu:

For those of you that think my playfield price is too high, what do you believe a fair price for a repro set is worth?
I did plenty of searches and put that price right in the middle.
Also for what it's worth...
I joined this club back in 1989! BK was what started my collecting addicti---I mean hobby when I was a mere teenager. I worked all summer to buy this big box of mechanical wonder and never looked back. It took about 20 years, but he's back to his old glory. Here's what a "silver knight edition" playfield looks like in my game (not a great picture). I'll probably be buried in this thing.

1.jpg

How much did CPR sell them for?

Id be willing to pay maybe ~15-20%~ plus shipping, probably in the $900 area?

#512 8 years ago

It's like every thing else in this hobby you can't worry about what they used to sell for only what it is worth today.

What would it cost to have someone restore your playfield and cc it? Probably way more than 900.

I got lucky and found a restored machine with a new bronze pf with kruze cleanup and cc, Mayfair bg and nice cab in the low twos. This was in the last year but I don't think there will be another one like that out there. By the way this one was posted here on pinside so you all missed a great deal.

I'll be buried in this one too. BK is what sucked me into pinball when I was a kid.

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

It's like every thing else in this hobby you can't worry about what they used to sell for only what it is worth today.
What would it cost to have someone restore your playfield and cc it? Probably way more than 900.
I got lucky and found a restored machine with a new bronze pf with kruze cleanup and cc, Mayfair bg and nice cab in the low twos. This was in the last year but I don't think there will be another one like that out there. By the way this one was posted here on pinside so you all missed a great deal.
I'll be buried in this one too. BK is what sucked me into pinball when I was a kid.

So what's it worth today? When did CPR run them? 2 years ago?

Last swap I did with a CPR was a pain in the ass.

#514 8 years ago

Well it's worth 1400 to the owner of one right now.

#515 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Well it's worth 1400 to the owner of one right now.

Its only worth what someone will pay for it. 1400 sounds way to steep for the majority but I suppose someone might spring for it.

#516 8 years ago

I put about 35 hours into mine (playfield touch up, cc) , it has a few flaws, I put about $300 into it, including a few tools I'll use again. Who knows what labor would have cost for someone else to do it... I got a few quotes ranging from $300-500, they wanted the entire pf stripped, which I did not entirely do. Who knows what it might be worth to somebody now, time will only tell I guess

1 week later
#517 8 years ago

Mine has minimal wear. The eagle on the upper playfield has a marble sized spot of wear. and the sword inserts have slight fade. I would like to get it CC'd one day as I like the original gem inserts over the CPR starbursts. They couldnt remake them.

#518 8 years ago
Quoted from boydsc331:

hey chris I had that same exact problem on my bk. the power supply was rebuilt with new caps and diodes according to vids guide for bulletproofing sys 3-7 and I had a new rotterndog mpu installed. anyway it turned out to be the slam tilt switch in the coin door. even tho it wasn't touching it would still reset when I would push the flippers once or twice. I disconnected it completely and have not hAD the problem since. my machine was in a pizza place or a bar before I got it because it smelled like beer and sticky like coke inside the coin door. so maybe the switch was too dirty where the wires connected I don't know . not sure if this helps but thought i'd throw it out there.

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Good info, thanks! I will still check the diodes, but if those don't do it, that will be a place to look
Thanks!
Chris

I just wanted to follow up on this issue I had.

Diodes were ok. Strange thing...At some point someone used quick connectors for the left coil. These seemed tight, but the vibration from the game when playing created gaps, this made a spike in voltage this resetting the game. tightened these up and it's perfect now. If it gives me issues again I will cut them and solder to the lugs, but for now it's good

Chris

2 weeks later
#519 8 years ago

Stumbled upon this today at Dollar Tree. Get your BK toppers before they're gone! The shields are available in silver or gold. They also had other Black Knight items in the Halloween section. Mines on temporarily with an L bracket and some Velcro.

100_1936.JPG100_1936.JPG

100_1938.JPG100_1938.JPG

I also grabbed a sword.

100_1939.JPG100_1939.JPG

1 month later
#520 8 years ago

Picked up a Black Knight this weekend. It was one of the first stand-out machines I played as a kid. But I should have read this forum before purchasing to be better informed, but anyway... It seems it doesn't have a bell. Solenoid test 15 does nothing, and there's no sign of a bell inside the cabinet anywhere. I googled for images, but only found a Taxi one. Where is the bell supposed to be installed? Where can I buy one? I love the rings...

Also, on the solenoid test. What is 25? It's not listed in the manual, but I hear a click like a relay or something is going off. Seems to come from behind the boards in the back glass.

It has slight flaking on the black glass, and I was told I should clear coat the inside to prevent further. There's some tape around the side of a couple score panels on the back glass, it looks like it's picking up the back glass paint. I don't want to peel it off and take the paint with it. How should I address that? Just spray over it? Tape it down again and then spray over?

Thanks for any tips!

#521 8 years ago

My right flippers are not working. They just died in the middle of a game. The left ones work fine.
This seems like an easy fix, if you know where to start looking.
Any advice?

#522 8 years ago

Bell should be on the left wall of the lower cabinet, just behind the tilt pendulum.

Solenoid 25 IIRC is the GI flasher. But I'm on the road right now, can't confirm.

#523 8 years ago
Quoted from mwsmith:

Stumbled upon this today at Dollar Tree. Get your BK toppers before they're gone! The shields are available in silver or gold. They also had other Black Knight items in the Halloween section. Mines on temporarily with an L bracket and some Velcro.

I also grabbed a sword.

$75 by Christmas on Ebay,

Was the sword also part of the Black Knight collection? I didn't see any with the Black Knight stuff, but the shields were there. Hhhm, not sure about it, BK seems to deserve better. Bronze ones really don't look too bad though.

#524 8 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Bell should be on the left wall of the lower cabinet, just behind the tilt pendulum.
Solenoid 25 IIRC is the GI flasher. But I'm on the road right now, can't confirm.

GI flasher makes sense...

If someone could take a picture of their bell, would appreciate it. Some pinball sites have generic ones for sale but would like to know the exact one I should search for.

Edit: Now that I know where to look, I found the holes, and the folded up wires in the harness. I need me some more bell!

MissingBell.jpgMissingBell.jpg

#525 8 years ago
Quoted from Tridentphoto:

My right flippers are not working. They just died in the middle of a game. The left ones work fine.
This seems like an easy fix, if you know where to start looking.
Any advice?

I'd check EOS switches and cabinet switches. Mine had both right flippers not working properly (both worked when I first got the game, then they both died shortly after). One switch was missing a contact and the other had a broken solder joint. I ended up rebuilding all of them and they work great now.

#526 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Picked up a Black Knight this weekend.
It has slight flaking on the black glass, and I was told I should clear coat the inside to prevent further. There's some tape around the side of a couple score panels on the back glass, it looks like it's picking up the back glass paint. I don't want to peel it off and take the paint with it. How should I address that? Just spray over it? Tape it down again and then spray over?
Thanks for any tips!

use tripple thick, don't remove anything that would cause the paint to peel further, be careful And try not to touch the paint... Google "triple thick pinball backglass" there's a tutorial on what to do. Don't use clear spray paint.
Use masking painters tape over the clear score areas before tripple thicking it.

#527 8 years ago

Here is the bell assembly in my Black Knight:

DSCF9669.jpgDSCF9669.jpg

DSCF9670.jpgDSCF9670.jpg

DSCF9671.jpgDSCF9671.jpg

DSCF9672.jpgDSCF9672.jpg

#528 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Here is the bell assembly in my Black Knight:

Excellent, thanks. Confirms it's the same as the pictures I've found of the one in Taxi. Likely all the Williams ones are like that, so should make it easier to find a replacement.

#529 8 years ago

Probably, I would think so. It is the same as the setup in our Bally Game Show as well.

Chris

#530 8 years ago

Hello! I'm looking for some photos of the wiring of the ball lock switch retrofit kit. I just picked up the bracket with mounted micro-switches, but this is my first time using this type of micro-switch am not sure how to wire them up. I'd be grateful if somebody with the kit installed could send me a couple nice bright photos of their wiring. Thanks a ton!

IMG_4540.JPGIMG_4540.JPG

1 week later
#532 8 years ago

Reference post if anyone is ever interested in changing the points awarded on their BK

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-score-locations-informational

1 week later
#533 8 years ago

Hello fellow BK fans. This is my second machine, replacing a Space Shuttle and joining a Johnny Mnemonic. I'm giving it a good cleaning and was replacing the drop target stickers tonight when I took a good look at the picture on the sticker - What is that red thing behind the Black Knight? My son says evil lizard dude. What do you think?

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

#534 8 years ago

Little research would suggest it is a "Plume", typically just a decoration item.
http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=634

also, didn't fully realize until now it's a different color than what's on back glass, wonder if it's the same knight?

#535 8 years ago

I think you're right on the plume. I see it on the back glass and some other versions of the sticker. The original flyer shows these stickers printed as only red and black on a white background, so apparently mine haven't aged well.

2 weeks later
#536 8 years ago

Oooh, I didn't know there was a Black Knight Club!

Anyway, I am new to Pinside, but have had my BK since the early 1990s. It mostly works. The backglass is good, the playfield is awful (especially the lower pf), and recently the sound has dropped. I have a thread on the Early Solid State tech forum troublshooting that at the moment.

Like several other folks, Black Knight was the coolest pinball I had ever seen when I first played it in my teens. When I found one for sale pretty cheap I jumped at the chance to buy it. I have played it on and off for over 20 years now, and it has been great. 20 years of minimal maintenance has taken it's toll on the machine that already had been rode hard and put away wet when I bought it. There is work to do before it is reliable again.

My next steps are to bulletproof my boards (buying the tools to do this now), and eventually to do something about my playfield. Suggestion are encouraged!

DJ Roberts

#537 8 years ago
Quoted from drober23:

Suggestion are encouraged!

Rebuild the connectors.

4 weeks later
#538 8 years ago

Out of the club and have a set of cpr plastics I don't need. Do not remember what i paid. Does $139 seem correct on these back then?

http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo85.html

Edit/update decided to sell. $120 plus actual shipping. Bag opened but protective film still on it.

Dan

20160109_212148_(resized).jpg20160109_212148_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#539 8 years ago

I recently picked up a project black knight and am having issues. The game won't boot up and I'm 99.3% positive it's due to the usual 40 pin. The game is a hybrid, lower cabinet with the bottom transformer paired with the top box that was an early production with the top transformer. The wiring from the bottom cabinet is all there to go to the power board but not all the plugs had a place to go. I ordered a new xpin power supply and I still am missing one spot for a plug. Any recommendations? I can post pics as soon as I get home.

#540 8 years ago

I'm fairly new to pinball. My Black Knight was working great, now it starts correctly but once you look the first ball up top, it then will spit out 2 balls. Any thoughts?

2 weeks later
#541 8 years ago

Hey, just picked up a Black Knight, can anyone describe what the adjustments for extra ball and multiball difficulty to exactly?

Also, I'm getting some weird behavior on my last chance balls if I relock the ball... Sometimes it just goes to game over instead of locking or releasing it, is that normal?

1 week later
#542 7 years ago

Anyone have any spare working displays laying around that they want to sell?

1 week later
#543 7 years ago

A few weeks ago I drove 660 miles round trip in a day to pick up my emotional grail! I love the simplicity of BK, and the Backglass is one of the best in Pinball IMO. This is the game that I played everyday in the early 80's up in Rochester NY, while all my friends were trying to learn the patterns on Pac-Man..lol.

It has a few dings, and wear here and there, but it plays flawlessly. It was well taken care of, and for the last 20 years it has been in a private collection. It will never leave my arcade.

20160304_145114_(resized).jpg20160304_145114_(resized).jpg

20160304_145132_(resized).jpg20160304_145132_(resized).jpg

#544 7 years ago

Good work, playfield looks really nice, your has cool looking return lane plastics
Mine doesn't

I wagged a lot of school to play BK back in the early 80"s

#545 7 years ago

Thats a nice Black Knight. New set of CPR plastics on there most likely since it has both the return lanes and left ramp plastic.

Zacaj; Run a switch test, and check all your trough switches both top and bottom. My guess is you'll find a stuck switch in there somewhere.

#546 7 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Zacaj; Run a switch test, and check all your trough switches both top and bottom. My guess is you'll find a stuck switch in there somewhere.

I've gone into switch test while manually dropping balls in and taking them out and everything reported properly. One time I even had it 'stuck' in a game with all three balls sitting in the lock but no MB and I went directly to switch test and it was reporting all three switches closed correctly

#547 7 years ago

Has anyone ever seen their displays cycle? I took a video of mine, and tried to upload it to show example, but the site will not allow it. The game plays perfect, display keeps correct score, all the digits work, and are bright. But whenever it is on, all the displays cycle each digit from left to right. Even when I am in the diagnostic edit mode it does it! It almost seems like it is stuck in some sort of an attract mode to me. I have looked through the book for display settings, but could not find any options. Maybe it is a dip-switch setting? I am not sure, but need some help.

#548 7 years ago

Anyone have a spare green jeweled insert they would be willing to sell? Also in need of 2 displays still. Please let me know. Looking for insert asap.

#549 7 years ago

Looking for a Black Knight backbox/head, any condition, really. Let me know if you know of one. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#550 7 years ago

I'm joining the club, first 80s pin and one of my favorites... got it in pretty decent shape, the cabinet artwork is better than expected. It does have a translite, but what's nice is it will never flake. Was thinking about looking for the mirrored backglass if it's in mint or good shape. Any idea where to find one or a good repro?

black_knight_(resized).jpgblack_knight_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Jupiter, FL
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
3,011 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lee's Summit, MO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,192 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-clubmembers-only/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.