• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

73BFCB6C-58DD-4F8B-A059-430AFA83C424 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0457 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I am working on a Williams 1980 Black Knight for a friend and when I boot the machine up I am getting an error.

The display is showing 2500 4 and I cannot start a game but the flippers are working.

Is anyone able to assist me with what this code means and where I need to look first to get this machine going

IMG_0457 (resized).jpgIMG_0457 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Have batteries or NVRAM installed? This is what happens when the batteries die and it loses the memory or after installing NVRAM.

Try opening the coin door then turn the game OFF/ON very fast.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Have batteries or NVRAM installed? This is what happens when the batteries die and it loses the memory or after installing NVRAM.
Try opening the coin door then turn the game OFF/ON very fast.

I just tried that and it didnt work.

I also depressed "Advance"switch and now the displays have also stopped working completely once I turned the macihine back on.

I am not sure what I have done here.

#4 2 years ago

May take multiple OFF/ON tries to get it to boot in attract mode.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

I also depressed "Advance"switch and now the displays have also stopped working completely once I turned the macihine back on.

Sounds like the game did not boot on that sequence. Try again.

#6 2 years ago

i read that you have tried it, but i had exactly the same issues happen, until i did the on/off quickly twice, then it was fine.

have you tested the white interlock button to the left of the cabinet just inside the door?

#7 2 years ago

Ok. Thanks for everyone’s help. I have tried that and it now looks like I have the attract mode going.

I am not able to start a game though and still I don’t have any displays working. Where do I need to head next.

73BFCB6C-58DD-4F8B-A059-430AFA83C424 (resized).jpeg73BFCB6C-58DD-4F8B-A059-430AFA83C424 (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago

Check the fuse for the displays on the power supply board. (Fuse F1, 0.25A slow blow)

Also try adding credits (insert quarters) and see if that will allow you to start a game.

#9 2 years ago

Also, make sure you have 3 balls in the trough, as the game will not allow to start without them detected. The trough switches may even need to be adjusted.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Also, make sure you have 3 balls in the trough, as the game will not allow to start without them detected. The trough switches may even need to be adjusted.

For maximum annoyance, black knight will also not start if it sees MORE than 3 balls in locations. The locations balls can be in idle: 3 trough locations. Shooter lane. 2 bottom lock troughs. So a stuck switch in any of these can be an issue. (The lock trough switches seem to get mangled a lot)

Get the displays working first though. You know they work because you had them working once and the fuse probably blew with all the flicking on and off trying to get the game to boot. Once they're working you can get into switch test and see what switches need attention.

#11 2 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have ordered some new fuses so I can get the display running again.

Once I am at that point I will check all the other items everyone has mentioned.

I will provide an update then.

#12 2 years ago

I have had another look at this today and I have now had the machine go back to not booting.

Is this a common issue or is there something else I need to look at. I didn’t try flicking it on and off again as I wanted to check if something else needs doing to hold the attract mode.

I had also pushed on the display fuse (without any power) earlier and the display is now working again. Think I have a cold solder joint there so will sort that later. The display is showing the same error code as before.

As a next step what do I need to check if it isn’t holding the attract mode or do I just get it back in to attract mode and go from there.

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

#13 2 years ago

entering audit mode with 2500 4 or 2500 3 (4/3 is the revision # of software, 500 is the game number, and 2 means blue system roms) is a good thing. That means the board is booting and running.

Your 5101 ram is likely bad/marginal which is why it keeps entering audit mode at bootup.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

entering audit mode with 2500 4 or 2500 3 (4/3 is the revision # of software, 500 is the game number, and 2 means blue system roms) is a good thing. That means the board is booting and running.
Your 5101 ram is likely bad/marginal which is why it keeps entering audit mode at bootup.

That is great news and thank you for the feedback. I will look in to the ram next and will see how I go.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

That is great news and thank you for the feedback. I will look in to the ram next and will see how I go.

Does your board have the AA batteries installed properly? Are the contacts on the battery holder clean and not corroded? Check that battery voltage is making it to the 5101 by measuring between ground and pin 22 on the 5101

#16 2 years ago

I have just checked the voltage at pin 22 and I have 4.6v which looks to be ok. I have reseated the batteries and have managed to get the game back in to attract mode and I can start a game (ball was not in the trough correctly so that has sorted the game start). I have a blown fuse on the solenoids and I am out of that type of fuse so will order some and go from there.

I will check again later to see if it holds next time I turn it on.

Thanks for everyone’s help so far.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

I am out of that type of fuse

Fuses can be found at electronic stores, auto parts stores and home improvement stores.

#18 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. After reseating the batteries and the ram chip (is socketed) I can get the game to consistently boot.

Now I have an issue where once I start a game the solenoid fuse blows so I will need to work through this to identify the root cause.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-boot-issue?hl=martymart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.