(Topic ID: 199711)

Black Knight Ball advance

By StratDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider castlesteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

Hey... so this is happening to me as well.

I have 2 new Rottendog MPU327-3 boards. One is having issue playing the right speeches, but otherwise plays perfectly with no glitches.

I dropped in a new board just to rule out my speech board issue, and I am now getting the exact same issue as you. Plays one ball fine and pushes the ball over to the trough, but does not advance the play to 2nd ball.

I think it may be something in the settings and im going to pull the battery and retry.

#10 6 years ago

It's like it believes a ball is still in play. It does the same thing if you load up the lock with balls, it will eject one, but if you put it back in... it is fine.

All switches and solenoids register perfectly without any row or column grounding. This may be a flaky board. I'm going to repair my other one and swap it back.

#11 6 years ago

Crap... so now both boards are doing it. They act identical. Let me know if you figure it out. Ill debug as well

#15 6 years ago

CRAP.

I feared this would happen. Been waiting nearly a year for the rev 3 board, and it still is flaky

So, please reach out to Jim and possibly Keith (K's arcade) to confirm you are having this issue, exactly this issue because I am having a hard time convincing them that the board is still not working right or that I blew it somehow.

1) Game passes all test modes, switch tests, display and sound tests
2) Game starts with BK speech, kicks out first ball, then no more sound
3) Game plays and scores fine until the ball is drained.
4) Ball is kicked over from the outhole into the trough but then just sits and does nothing.
5) You can still score points and game still in "working mode" but nothing will ever advance to the next ball.

#17 6 years ago

ok good. I've gone the route of K's arcade and also have a email out.

I did find that someone had this issue 7 months ago with the MPU327-2 ... same issue and that new ROM fixed the issue. Apparently the ROM got damaged somehow but still plays? I wouldn't mind having the code so that I can burn my own in the event this happens again.

I've mentioned to Jim about the ROM to see if he would send new ones just in case. No word yet

#20 6 years ago

Original ROMS will not work as this board uses a Combo ROM and possible boot loader in a different format... so it would have to come from Jim. Or it would be sweet if he could send the code to be programmed.

#22 6 years ago

Not one reply from Rottendog. So far crickets.

#24 6 years ago

I actually have 3 BKs waiting on boards. I purchased 2 MPU327-3s ... they both act the same. So this is a design issue, not a bad board.

#26 6 years ago

I'll be calling today as well to help support / add need for this

--> from my embedded software experience, this appears to be a ROM issue. It feels like some subroutines are not running (like background sound, end of ball etc). Seems like the vector addresses are incorrect for some reason

1 week later
#29 6 years ago

I talked to him and he said they used a faster RAM chip. I just received my replacement RAM part... and ... UH.. no change for me.

I'm waiting to see how your tests come up. Exact same results. The board did need to reboot once in order to detect and use the part and all settings went back to default.

Let me know how yours goes

#31 6 years ago

I will do that. This is likely a flash part (and not RAM) and the code detected no files... so it did the reset and reformat.

StratDoc: eager to hear about your findings before I contact Rottendog again about my test results

#34 6 years ago

yes, I see. Please keep this thread running. I think we have 4 now with this issue and with the replacement flash part, does not appear to solve the problem yet.

#35 6 years ago

StratDoc, did you get your flash part yet from RD?

#37 6 years ago

OK, well... the only good news is that we are both consistent and it should help in swaying RD to continue to debug this issue.

And it sucks because ... well BK is still dead after a year of waiting for this board to come out. I had much better success using the MPU327-2 board. At least it worked.

1 week later
#48 6 years ago

Has anyone heard back from RD about the latest fixes? Or have they acknowledged that their latest fix still didn't solve the issue?

1 week later
#54 6 years ago

RD said the same thing to me. Hoping they can reproduce our issue

1 week later
#57 6 years ago

I emailed them this morning looking for an update...

1 week later
#58 6 years ago

update - RD says they are still working on the fix

1 month later
#62 6 years ago

BUMP. I reached out to RottenDog last week and did not hear back. It usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to get a response, so I'll try again next week.

At this point, I am going to suggest putting in a version 2 board and deal with the misc issues until the version 3+ system is working. I dunno

#63 6 years ago

Update

latest news is that RottenDog is going to drop support for MPU327-3 on System 7 games. The plan is to re-run the MPU327-2 board and release it as MPU327-4. I dont know if that means we get System 7 support again, but with misc erroneous issues on Black Knight (similar to version 2 board)... but with a better sourced chip that was one of the issues with maintenance on the rev2 boards.

I dont know time frame obviously, so inquire with RottenDog if you have a Rev3 board and hold on to your receipts

2 weeks later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider castlesteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-ball-advance?tu=castlesteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.