(Topic ID: 199711)

Black Knight Ball advance

By StratDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StratDoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Still working on my Black Knight. Broke down and bought a Rottendog board

Game boots with no problem. First ball ejects into shooter lane. When the first ball drains the ball is pushed into the trough but the game will not register second ball in play. The multi ball also is not functioning. I can manually place three balls in the top playfield trough -
all three lights show balls locked - but no multiball.

Switch test shows no stuck switches and solenoid test also checks out. Manually activating the rollover switches with a ball show all switches registering properly.

It appears all switches in column six are out. Double checked connections for switches in the column and do not see anything. Also checked connection to rottendog board. It looks okay as well.

#2 6 years ago

Up working on the pin this morning. Quick recap - game starts and can put first ball in play. When the ball drains it will not advance to second ball in play and kick the second ball into the shooter lane. The out hole does, however, kick the ball into the shooter trough. I have also noticed that if I place three balls in the the upper trough I cannot activate multiball. I was thinking it might be a switch matrix problem.

Column two has the three trough switches and the out hole switch. All switches test okay in the switch test. I checked continuity from backbox connector to each switch in the column - no shorts detected. I also connected a wire to the 2j2 connector for the column and in diagnostic switch test mode touched each of the corresponding 2j3 pins. All switches worked. I did the same tests for column six since it controls switches for multiball. Everything checks out okay.

Thoughts?

#4 6 years ago

Scwhaggs ,

Thanks for the response. I entered switch test and manually loaded three balls one at a time into the trough. Switch 17, followed by18, followed by 19 all registered correctly.

I pulled 2J2 from the rottendog board. I checked continuity on green/blue pin 5 which is the wire for columns six - stuck a paper clip in the connector for green/blue connection and five and have continuity from the backbox all the way through to switches 41 -46 in the switch matrix.

#6 6 years ago

No. The bonuses are not counted up. The drain will kick the ball into the trough but not eject a ball into the shooter lane. Ball in play stays on "1".

I pulled the diodes and all check okay.

Tried on more thing. I have a Rottendog power supply in my Blackout. Pulled it and installed it in the Black Knight. No change.

#8 6 years ago

Schwaggs,

Thanks. I am also going to re-pin all connectors.

I will reach out to Jim at Rottendog. I will keep you posted.

#12 6 years ago

That is exactly the same problem I am having. I too am having sound problems - I have a new swemmer sound board. I get speech at the start of a game but no speech or sound while the ball is in play. I have aRottendog board in my Blackout and will swap it out to see if it is board related.

I will keep you posted.

#13 6 years ago

I can indeed confirm it is a bad board. The mpu327 from my blackout works fine in my Black Knight.

#16 6 years ago

I reached out to rottendog and am waiting on a call back from Jim. I was able to speak with someone. I informed the Arcadeshop where I bought my board. They were also going to contact rottendog. I told rottendog at least one other person was having a problem and provided a link to this post. I will keep the post updated.

#19 6 years ago

I talked briefly to someone at Rottendog yesterday afternoon and am waiting for a call back from Jim. It is a ROM issue and Jim can send a new one I am good with that. I could remove the ROM from my Blackout and put in the new board to test it. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to it until next Friday - ugh.

#21 6 years ago

Any luck taking with Rottendog and getting your board replaced? I talked with someone- not Jim- briefly but have not been able to get them to return my call or follow up emails.

#23 6 years ago

That is not good. Obviously several bad boards out there. Did Ksarcade send you a new one?

#25 6 years ago

You are correct. I am hoping to talk with Rottnsog today.

#27 6 years ago

I flaked with J Rod again today at Rottendog. He again took my contact information but o one called me back. He said thre was a design team looking into the problem. Let me know if you learn anything. The distributor I bought the board through suggested I work through Rottendog.

#28 6 years ago

Update -

Rottendog is sending a replacement part for the board. Jim left a message saying they had figured out the problem and offered to send a part to resolve the issue or refund the cost of the board. The part ships today. He did not way which IC was causing the problem.

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

Yes, I received it this week. It did not resolve the problem. Still no ball in play advance and no sound. Frustrating.

#38 6 years ago

I swapped my old board from 2015 into the BK and installed the new revision board in my Blackout. I haven't had time to trouble shoot the old board in the BK but it seems to work. At least there is sound and the ball in play advances. The new board seems to work fine in the Blackout.

1 week later
#39 6 years ago

The Arcadeshop replaced my MPU327 board. Great customer service and very responsive. The owner's name is Steven Gregory. I never did get it sorted out through Rottendog. The flashed IC Rottendog sent did not solve the problem. I have not installed the replacement but will post back when I do.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Kingflatland:

Hello everyone! First post here. Just got my rottendog combo board for my recently acquired black knight and my game is doing the exact same stuff. Game boots, sound board works when hitting the test switch, all solenoids work and test good , and all switches work in the test mode. However when starting a game , the speech works for only a few seconds then gets no sound, won't kick out a 2nd ball after losing one or getting in the upper trough for multiball, and it just sits there in gameplay mode after you lose a ball . This is the new revision rottendog board that is supposed to work with black knight. I'm gonna email arcadeshop where I got it from and see what they can do.

Contact Steve at Arcadeshop. He is very easy to work with. I have not installed the replacement board he sent so don't know if it has the same problem. I will try to install it this evening and post back.

#44 6 years ago

Bad news. The new Rottendog board Steve sent me has the same problem - no sound and ball in play does not advance when a ball drains. This is an October 2017 produced board. It appears Rottendog has a systemic problem with this new version of the board. I am going to post these problems to the Rottendog forum with a link to here.

#47 6 years ago

Yes, my earlier version board manufactured in 2015 out of my Blackout works in BK, just not this new version which was advertised by Rottendog as correcting any previous BK issues.

#49 6 years ago

Rottendog sent me a newly flashed U36 rom chip but that did not solve the problem and I let them know. I personally am not aware of any other attempted fixes. The replacement board that Arcadeshop sent me last week was produced in October - the previous board was produced in August. I sent Jim and Rottendog sales another email to let them know that October produced boards still have the same issues but have not heard back.

#51 6 years ago

Received an update from Rottendog. They have a local BK machine that they are using to troubleshoot the problems with the new board. Stay tuned.

2 weeks later
#56 6 years ago

I have not heard back from RD for a couple of weeks. The last communication I had was they were testing to try to resolve the issue.

1 week later
#59 6 years ago

Thanks for the post. I reached back out but had not heard anything.

1 month later
#66 6 years ago

I swapped out a Rottendog board from my Blackout. It works in my BK and the faulty board works well in the Blackout. Once the new board is released I will send it back.

Parts suppliers like k’s Arcade are stating that system 7 games are not supported.

Thanks for the update.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StratDoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-ball-advance?tu=StratDoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.