You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
Untitled2 (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone.

I recently purchased a Black Knight that was having some reset issues when both flippers were engaged at the same time. While looking into this problem the game began to lock up, the coils stopped firing, and then eventually it wouldn't boot. The solenoid fuse turned out to be blown and when I replaced that the coils fired a few at a time when I turned the game on and off until all the drop targets were back up, but still no boot. There is a rottendog mpu327 in the game and when I went through the start up procedure for it in leon's test mode the LEDs would blink and then when I hit test they locked on. I believe that indicates a bad ic13 chip, so I ordered a replacement from Action Pinball but didn't realize the chip on the board is a 20 pin while the replacement is only 18 pins.

Can anyone who is more familiar with the rottendog board help me figure out which chip replaces the 20 pin ic13 chip?

Also, do these sound like symptoms of a bad ic13 chip?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

#2 7 years ago

A good starting point might be to find out if the issue is on the mpu board, or elsewhere. It looks like you have a couple of system 6's in your collection, the MPU327 should also be compatible with those. Place the MPU 327 in one of those machines, and see if you have issues. If yes, problem is with mpu/driver combo board. If no, then problem lies elsewhere, power board perhaps, or a wiring issue.

Another pinsider identified a design issue with the mpu327 in another thread. It's easily corrected, it's just that the board layout can cause a short to ground. It may be worth your while to investigate this as well. Could clear everying up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-to-rottendog-327-owners-check-it-now#post-3267007

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the insight, I'll check those tonight. The gorgar and laser ball are projects at various states of completion, so I'm not sure I can reliably trouble shoot with them, but it's possible.

At least the road kings is still working...

#4 7 years ago

Ive been fighting the same issue for a while and have eliminated just about everything except the Rotten Dog board. Going to swap in my old, original boardset and drop my RD board in another game. Following this thread to see if you come across something. Ill post if I find anything here.

#5 7 years ago

Why not contact Rottendog?

#6 7 years ago

So after some additional digging it looks like the chip at ic13 is actually a 20-pin octal buffer/driver ic chip. I have that ordered and on it's way, but I'm not sure it's even an issue. Since the chips are different, I don't know if the test rom info I have is reliable.

When the new chip arrives I'll install it and see if that helps, in addition to checking the potential ground short and try troubleshooting laser ball.

I did email rottendog and I'm waiting to hear back from them as well.

Thanks again for all help.

#7 7 years ago

Maybe you can locate a pinsider local to you with a working sys6/7 for you to try the board in.

You might find it better to call Jim than email, he's very friendly and helpful, and will probably try to work through the issue with you.

I had (well, technically still have) an MPU327 for my Jungle Lord. Even with Jim's help I never really got it going again - in hindsight it could have been the grounding issue noted above, that thread came up after I moved on to something else.

Most rottendog repro boards are great but MPU327 seems to be prone to issues, I don't know how many of the boards are out there but there are many threads on them. It's tricky trying to troubleshoot the board since the pinwiki knowledge base isn't of any help as compared to original boards. If you can get your hands on an original MPU/Driver, it may save you money and a lot of time in the long run, that's the route I eventually went.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Madbee:

Hi everyone.
I recently purchased a Black Knight that was having some reset issues when both flippers were engaged at the same time. While looking into this problem the game began to lock up, the coils stopped firing, and then eventually it wouldn't boot. The solenoid fuse turned out to be blown and when I replaced that the coils fired a few at a time when I turned the game on and off until all the drop targets were back up, but still no boot. There is a rottendog mpu327 in the game and when I went through the start up procedure for it in leon's test mode the LEDs would blink and then when I hit test they locked on. I believe that indicates a bad ic13 chip, so I ordered a replacement from Action Pinball but didn't realize the chip on the board is a 20 pin while the replacement is only 18 pins.
Can anyone who is more familiar with the rottendog board help me figure out which chip replaces the 20 pin ic13 chip?
Also, do these sound like symptoms of a bad ic13 chip?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

If the board locks up when both flippers are pushed you likely have a power supply issue. The 12v filter capacitor can't keep the 12v rail high enough causing the regulator to break down and the 5v rail dips down below what the system is stable at. In a low voltage situation,
you could be getting a false failures. I would ensure your power supply is solid before working on the main board.

IC13 is a ram chip on the stock WMS boards. System 3-6 era it was dip24 0.6" wide 6810 ram, system 7 it is a 0.3" wide dip18 2114/5114 style ram. What does the imprint on the Rottendog IC say you are trying to replace?

Might be worth seeing what Rdog says too. I assume they will take care of it.

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

So after some time waiting on parts and installing them I have a few updates. I got the new ic13 component, a 20-pin octal buffer/driver ic chip, and removed the old chip and installed the new one. No change in the board behavior. I then figured that the test was probably actually telling me the ram was bad, so I replaced it and voila! the board in leon's test mode passes; when the diagnostic button is pressed the top led comes on, then the bottom, then both, then flashing. Unfortunately, when I connect the rest of the connectors and flip the DIP switches to black knight, the game still won't boot and both leds are locked on.

Jim from Rottendog emailed me back and I'm going to try to call him next, but I wanted to post this update and see if anyone had any other idea. Thanks for the help.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from jgeiger:

Ive been fighting the same issue for a while and have eliminated just about everything except the Rotten Dog board. Going to swap in my old, original boardset and drop my RD board in another game. Following this thread to see if you come across something. Ill post if I find anything here.

John, what month sticker is on your board? My board is doing something similar. Once my ball drains the game locks up (not a switch issues, ruled out in test). Jim is working with me as well to fix it. Im going to try the board in a system 6 and see if the same results. Appears to be an issue with the newest batch.

#11 7 years ago

Good idea, I'll check my board again in my system 6 too, now that it passes the initial test. I was all set to buy a new board if the ram chip didn't work, but then it sort of halfway worked and now I feel like I have to keep troubleshooting.

#12 7 years ago

Board seems to work fine in laser ball, and I can switch it to any other game and it'll go into audit mode, even when it's plugged into black knight, but when I switch into the black knight rom, both leds lock on and it won't boot. Could a single rom on the chip be bad? I know there are sound issues with black knight and the rottendog board, but I can't figure out why the rom won't load.

#13 7 years ago

Ill take a look when I get back to the warehouse.

Quoted from nikpinball:

John, what month sticker is on your board? My board is doing something similar. Once my ball drains the game locks up (not a switch issues, ruled out in test). Jim is working with me as well to fix it. Im going to try the board in a system 6 and see if the same results. Appears to be an issue with the newest batch.

#14 7 years ago

Laserball is system 6 and uses a different address space than system 7 black knight. I would try another system 7 games in BK and see what happens. Laser cue, firepower 2, etc.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Laserball is system 6 and uses a different address space than system 7 black knight. I would try another system 7 games in BK and see what happens. Laser cue, firepower 2, etc.

It will go into attract mode if I switch it to another system 7 game, like jungle Lord. It really seems like it's something with the black knight rom...

1 week later
#16 7 years ago

Jim from rottendog got back to me (was out of town) and is having me send the board back to him so he can look at it. Very nice guy and great to take the board back even though I'm not the original owner.

My problem now is my game blows the solenoid fuse when it's on. It's not right away, but after a but of action, it blows. I'm also reading high on my +5v. I changed the large filter capacitor during my previous troubleshooting and I've checked the bridge rectifiers; they seem fine. Something trashed the ram chip and is causing the black knight rom to not run, and I'm thinking it was related to these symptoms.

I'm going to try to keep troubleshooting while the board is out, but not sure how much I can do. Just don't want to damage the board after it's been repaired.

#17 7 years ago

How high is your 5V ?

Where are you testing it at?

Is your BK a sys6 or sys7?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How high is your 5V ?
Where are you testing it at?
Is your BK a sys6 or sys7?

System 7. I was checking at the cpu board connector, IJ2. I was getting around 8.9, which makes me think I was doing something wrong...

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Madbee:

System 7. I was checking at the cpu board connector, IJ2. I was getting around 8.9, which makes me think I was doing something wrong...

My 12v was about 14, which I think falls in the normal range, from what I've read. But I thought I'd throw it out there too.

#20 7 years ago

Any thoughts? I'm on the verge of getting a new power supply board because I don't want to fry the repaired board, and I can always try to salvage what works for repairs on another game later on.

1 week later
#21 7 years ago

Update for future troubleshooting:

Got the new power supply and everything tests right where it should. Going to try to figure out what was the issue with the power supply later, but no more high +5vdc.

Also got the mpu back from Jim. Had repaired some blown transistors (from plugging into a different game with locked on coils I think...) and some of the chips it looked like.

The game still won't boot the black knight rom. I don't know if he checked the specific rom I was having issues with during repairs or not, but I'm back to everything else working but black knight. Put it on jungle lord and everything lighting up and firing (and no more blowning the solenoid fuse). Asked Jim to send me a new rom chip but waiting to hear back.

#22 7 years ago

Last year I blew my mpu327 in my Black Knight somehow. Sent it to Jim at Rottendog and he said it was too far gone to really fix. (Though I feel he would have if it wasn't so toasted-he's a very nice guy and seems to care a lot about supporting his products). I bought a replacement mpu327 and after installing it I found I had similar issues as you in my Black Knight. It goes into attract, starts a game, says the intro speech, but then has no other sounds, wont start multiball, and when the ball drains it just sits there. Flippers work though. Jim says it's an unknown issue with the mpu327-2 (second edition). I found an mpu327-1 and will try that. I replaced power supply and rectifier to hopefully avoid damaging this third board.

#23 7 years ago

Mine is an mpu 327-1 as well. He did tell me about the known issue in the 327-2, and said they were back to the drawing board for the future 327-3 as far as that black knight issue. I was really hoping his repairs had done the trick, but still having a rom issue.

#24 7 years ago

Talked to Jim today, there was some confusion about my board having the 327-2 issue. He now agrees it could have been an issue with something frying a single line of code. Sending me a new rom chip. Will update with (hopefully) final resolution.

#25 7 years ago

I'll be interested to see how things turn out for you. I am nervous about putting my new MPU-1 back in the BK since the last one fried. I am going to work on it this weekend but I want to check for proper voltages EVERYWHERE first. I am wondering if there is anything else that could have fried my old board aside from the old power supply. With the new rottendog power supply and the inkochnito bridge board I am hoping I'm safe.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

I'll be interested to see how things turn out for you. I am nervous about putting my new MPU-1 back in the BK since the last one fried. I am going to work on it this weekend but I want to check for proper voltages EVERYWHERE first. I am wondering if there is anything else that could have fried my old board aside from the old power supply. With the new rottendog power supply and the inkochnito bridge board I am hoping I'm safe.

mixing up the in line square plugs. There is usually a black and a white colored connector between the head and cabinet. Mixing them up will cause all sorts of bad things.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

mixing up the in line square plugs. There is usually a black and a white colored connector between the head and cabinet. Mixing them up will cause all sorts of bad things.

I don't think that happened in my case because everything worked great for several years. I haven't unplugged the head since I bought and moved the pin back in 2012. This weekend I installed my new Rottendog board and so far everything works great! As far as the old board is concerned, I think the power supply failed (voltage regulator maybe??) and sent improper voltage into the old board. Theres also a possibility that there was some shorting on the back of the board where it could have come in contact with the original backbox mounting lugs (they are very close when you use the factory holes). No way to confirm this though since I no longer have the fried board.

#28 7 years ago

After getting the new rom chip from Jim, the game boots and plays fine. New power supply fixed the flipper reset and solenoid fuse blowing issues, it seems.

Thanks everyone who offered help and advice (especially the advice to call Jim, who was great in standing behind his product, even when I wasn't the original purchaser and probably damaged the board due to my own negligence). I'll definitely look at another rottendog in the future for some project games I'm working on.

1 month later
#29 6 years ago

Any updates on MPU327-3 coming out from RottenDog to fix the BK issues? I've contacted them twice, but get no answers. At one point, a tech who replied said they were in testing... but since then.... crickets

1 month later
#30 6 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Any updates on MPU327-3 coming out from RottenDog to fix the BK issues? I've contacted them twice, but get no answers. At one point, a tech who replied said they were in testing... but since then.... crickets

Haven't heard anything from Jim, but I wasn't planning on it. Did you try calling him? Email didn't work for me, but if you text him then call he might answer.

3 months later
#31 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

Last year I blew my mpu327 in my Black Knight somehow. Sent it to Jim at Rottendog and he said it was too far gone to really fix. (Though I feel he would have if it wasn't so toasted-he's a very nice guy and seems to care a lot about supporting his products). I bought a replacement mpu327 and after installing it I found I had similar issues as you in my Black Knight. It goes into attract, starts a game, says the intro speech, but then has no other sounds, wont start multiball, and when the ball drains it just sits there. Flippers work though. Jim says it's an unknown issue with the mpu327-2 (second edition). I found an mpu327-1 and will try that. I replaced power supply and rectifier to hopefully avoid damaging this third board.

So did you ever get this fixed? Was it a new boot rom for BK on this board? I have 2 BKs with the MPU327-3 that are doing the same thing.

#32 6 years ago

What kind of chips are used in the switch matrix section? Ie the name of the 2-4 chips by the two by the switch matrix plugs. WMS changed resistor choice around black knight (because of the drop targets / lock balls sitting down offending TTL levels?). 74HC logic type family may exhibit similar issues.

#33 6 years ago

Hmmm...very interesting. With all original boards, I was having the very occasional lockup on my Black Knight. I figured it was probably the 40 pin interconnect, so I went ahead and purchased a Rottendog MPU (version 3). Unfortunately, when I put it in the game, it had the EXACT same problem (goes into attract, starts a game, says the intro speech, but then has no other sounds, and when the ball drains it just sits there - Flippers work ok).

I put the original boards back in, and thankfully I haven't had any issues. This leads me to believe there is a problem with those Rottendog boards with Black Knight....

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What kind of chips are used in the switch matrix section? Ie the name of the 2-4 chips by the two by the switch matrix plugs. WMS changed resistor choice around black knight (because of the drop targets / lock balls sitting down offending TTL levels?). 74HC logic type family may exhibit similar issues.

Most interesting. I'll check the voltages on the switch matrix. If they are hanging around TTL logic grey areas, that would be very leading. Bumping the 5v line may get it out of the grey area

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Most interesting. I'll check the voltages on the switch matrix. If they are hanging around TTL logic grey areas, that would be very leading. Bumping the 5v line may get it out of the grey area

I wouldnt juice up the 5v. if they are using say a 74hc chip... swap in a 74hct or 74ls (supports ttl input). If there is a series resistor between the header pins and the switch matrix chips, try zero ohm / jumper link (that was the change wms did around BK on the driver boards).

Anyone got a clear picture near the header pins for switches of a board acting up only in BK ??

There are at least two versions of BK software out there. Not sure which one RDog is using, but that shouldnt matter unless they some how got a bad game ROM in there combined rom chip.

#36 6 years ago

i wasnt thinking much, but just in the TTL valid range.

The drop targets cover like 6 columns, so would have to jumper nearly the entire matrix columns (or rows) accordingly. I dont have the schematic open

I'm going to try all 3 types (HC/HCT/LS) before changing the jumper/res

2 weeks later
#37 6 years ago

Posting here as well. Clastlesteve and I have another thread on the Rottendog boards as well.

Rottendog sent me a flashed IC that was supposed to resolve the issue. It did not. Still not ball in play advance or sound. If I pull my old version MPU327, 2015 build, from my Blackout my Black Knight works fine.

#38 6 years ago

Untitled2 (resized).pngUntitled2 (resized).png
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

still wondering what IC15-IC18 is in the driver section and if they are using the resistors or zero ohm links / foil track on board.

#39 6 years ago

hmmmm. I'll have to inspect this board to see if it has these serial resistors on the MPU327-3. I'll definitely try this

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

hmmmm. I'll have to inspect this board to see if it has these serial resistors on the MPU327-3. I'll definitely try this

74hc00 or similar part could be an issue too. Check the chips near the switch plugs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-and-rottendog-mpu327-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.