Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Scucci_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Working on a Black Knight. While in attract mode there is a repeating "thud" sound playing over and over again. It plays when the displays are blanked in attract mode. When playing a game the audio is mostly correct (thud goes away), but some sounds are wrong and I think it's based on when those sounds are played (to align with when the thuds would be played, timing-wise). In the video, the machine is not getting tilted, it played the tilt sound when the ball went over the shooter lane switch, and again during game play for when it hit a different target. It's not actually tilting.

Video of issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngazfoc3o3td7x6/VID_20210824_092009438.mp4?dl=0

I disconnected the control lines for the audio board to isolate it from the MPU/Driver board and the thud goes away. Comes right back when the control lines are re-connected. I pulled out my logic probe to check the lines and when the displays blank pins 3, 2, and 7 (on the sound board; sol 9, 10, and 13) dip. I went ahead and replaced the PIA (IC36) for the sound lines, didn't change anything.

The game plays fine other-wise. There are no issue with the switch matrix or lamp matrix, so I don't think it'd be anything on the main address and data lines.

What do you guys think the issue would be?

#2 2 years ago

Have you already replaced the 40-pin connector between the CPU and driver boards? What about the rom sockets on the CPU board? You may want to try pressing or lightly twisting on them to see if that reveals any changes.

1 month later
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you already replaced the 40-pin connector between the CPU and driver boards? What about the rom sockets on the CPU board? You may want to try pressing or lightly twisting on them to see if that reveals any changes.

I ended up swapping the MPU and driver boards from a different machine. The issue stayed in BK. Swapped the main sound board and the issue went away. So it's something on the sound board. I'll dig into it later... ... probably when I need to repair the machine I took the boards out of. lol

I'll update this thread with the solution when I find it.

Thanks for the pointers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-80-repeating-sound-in-attract-mode-and-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.