• Latest reply 2 years ago by Shogun00
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bad Display (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

The top display is fluttering and dimmer than the bottom one, which is strong. Did a bunch of voltage tests and reflowed everything related to that display. Swapped it to another game and it is in the display board. I can easily Wolfpac this, but here's my question: IF the gas is failing in the glass, what would the symptoms be. Here's an interesting thing, let's say there are 2 words displayed in the top 16 character display, the first letter in each word is flickering, the rest are "ok" but again, dimmer. I just want to know if a chip might be involved which might be easier than building an LED display...

#2 2 years ago

Can you post a picture?

#3 2 years ago

There are 32 signals for the segments. 16 signals for the "top" display and 16 signals for the "bottom" display.

There are 16 signals for the strobes. The strobes signals are split / duplicated to control each of the individual "characters" for both the "top" and "bottom" simultaneously.

If the pattern of the segments is correct then suspect the strobes. See the schematic for the display to follow where the strobes go.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Can you post a picture?

Will do.

Quoted from DumbAss:

See the schematic for the display to follow where the strobes go.

Yes, did that and concentrated on the top display connections/chips/traces etc. Compared voltages to the bottom display. The same. Of course as most schematics go, there are small errors.
I think what I'm asking is, obviously a bad outgassing glass is history. I'd like to know if that can be spotted right off the bat so all the time trying to fix would not be wasted time. Thanks!

#5 2 years ago

As you can see the upper display is iffy. The dark areas move around like those fake LED candles.

Bad Display (resized).JPGBad Display (resized).JPG
#6 2 years ago

That's either outgassing or bad flameproof resistors on power supply.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's either outgassing or bad flameproof resistors on power supply.

I'm leaning towards the former, but definitely check those resistors on the PSU OP.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I'm leaning towards the former, but definitely check those resistors on the PSU OP.

I will. If the resistors were bad on the Power Supply would that not affect both of the displays?
Thank you for your guidance and I'll pursue this suggestion.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

I will. If the resistors were bad on the Power Supply would that not affect both of the displays

It could just be a single resistor that is going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2k-display-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.