02_address_bus_connections.jpg
01_data_bus_connections.jpg
01_CPU_data_connections.jpg
03_U41_front.jpg
02_U25_back.jpg
01_U25_front.jpg
04_data_bus_buffer.jpg
03_address_bus_buffers.jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sometimes the original IC sockets are a problem. Tried pressing on the U15, RAM, and ROMs when running the Leon's test chip? Again, U24 does not even matter if it in the board for the board to boot.

Gave this a shot this morning. Sometimes it seemed to change things, but I couldn't tell if it was me pushing on the socket or because I was moving the board and jiggling my clips. I'm going to order some more components today so I'll make sure I toss a 9-pin connector on there to build a better power connection.

I also did a static diode test on U31-U37 and the only "bad" reading I got was on pins 3 and 11 of U33. Looking at the pinout for the 74LS20 it would seem those pins aren't connected and this is to be expected.

One odd thing, with the RAM uninstalled I can more consistently get the Leon test to run. In some of the cases where I could get it to run this morning, I was seeing pin 31 (D1) on the PIAs as low. I traced that back to the chip I replaced at U16 to pin 3 and read it as low, but read a pulse at pin 17, SR3-3, and U15-32. Similar to the problem I was having with D3 a few days ago. However, sometimes that data line DOES pulse at all the PIAs and everything is fine. The only two factors that really seem to affect this are my connection at 1J7 and board flex/position. I can't figure out a reliable way of changing these symptoms, it just seems random.

Given the randomness, should I start considering more seriously that my problem is alkaline corrosion related? Or is it something simpler like a cracked solder joint on one of the address decoder ICs?

EDIT: I also still need to test the 6802s I have to make sure they're good and rule those out as a problem. I will do that as soon as I can.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

Given the randomness, should I start considering more seriously that my problem is alkaline corrosion related? Or is it something simpler like a cracked solder joint on one of the address decoder ICs?

It could be. The corrosion would be affecting function not connections as you have verified connections. At this point it is hard (for me) to say what the problem actually is. More data points are required to help narrow down where to look.

The only other time I have seen an issue where there is randomness in behavior is the oscillator. The system needs a stable clock to execute correctly. Of the boards I have repaired I have only replaced the resonator/oscillator twice. I know one was the actual cause as putting back the old component caused the problem to manifest. In another instance where the oscillator was replaced there was a bad 6116 IC. I know the 6116 was bad for sure because I swapped the component back in but I didn't swap the original oscillator to show that there were actually two problems. The 6116 problem was interesting because the Leon worked correctly, Rollergames software worked correctly but Taxi software did NOT. The game software uses the RAM in different ways and that explains the difference between game software.

Quoted from caseydanger:

I also still need to test the 6802s I have to make sure they're good and rule those out as a problem. I will do that as soon as I can.

This is the direction I would go in. You need to have as many "known good" data points. Get to a known good 6802 so you can rule that out. If you go to your friend's place you can bring the Leon to test it in the board but remember ... DISCONNECT ALL CONNECTORS EXCEPT 1J17. I mean *ALL* connectors except 1J17.

Always keep in mind that the Leon software is simple. It needs a good clock, good CPU, good EPROM and good (can be partial) address decode. Specifically the connections between them and the relevant IC functionality.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

The only other time I have seen an issue where there is randomness in behavior is the oscillator. The system needs a stable clock to execute correctly.

While I recognize the rarity of the oscillator being an issue, is there any other test I can perform with my DMM or logic probe to make sure the clock is working? When I probe pin 39, in any board state, I see a steady pulse. The guide at techniek.flipperwinkel.nl only mentions I should get a square wave which I believe the probe is indicating with a stead HIGH/LOW beat. I believe the same friend that has a Space Shuttle has an oscilloscope so when I go to check my 6802s perhaps we can hook it up to check on that.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I mean *ALL* connectors except 1J17.

Ha. I think I came across a thread somewhere here on pinside where someone forgot to do that and their machine went haywire.

Quoted from DumbAss:

It needs a good clock, good CPU, good EPROM and good (can be partial) address decode.

This reminds me of something I thought about. I ran several verify runs on the EPROM I burned the Leon test onto and they all passed. The EPROM I used was just a random brand I found on Amazon, where I was ordering the program. I have since ordered some EPROMs from Mouser that are Atmel branded. Would it be worth it to burn a new Leon ROM on one of these chips? Probably a long shot, but I thought I'd ask.

Another data point that crossed my mind. The reason I have this power supply is because the 12v line died on me. It was previously in a 3D printer I had and ran the heat bed. The 5v still tests good so that's why I use it. I say all this because I've never hooked up the 12v to this board when bench testing and it's somehow able to boot up, but it can take it a few moments. As it's had the reset section replaced with a MCP120, I believe that's why it no longer needs the 12v. Is there anything else on the board that requires 12v?

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

is there any other test I can perform with my DMM or logic probe to make sure the clock is working? ... has an oscilloscope ...

I believe you need a scope. The logic probe is good for basic logic level diagnosis not logic level wave forms.

Quoted from caseydanger:

I have since ordered some EPROMs from Mouser that are Atmel branded. Would it be worth it to burn a new Leon ROM on one of these chips?

As long as the EPROM (or PROM) is blank before you program it you should be fine. In the late 80s and early 90s EPROM storage was erased with UV light. These are no longer manufactured but are available as pulls and recycles. If the EPROM you have does not have a window it's probably what is referred to as OTP (one time programmable). They are always (ok ... should be) blank when manufactured. It would be pointless if they aren't blank. If you use window EPROMs always erase them and always blank check before programming it. The bits are blank when they are 1 and the process of programming changes the 1 to a 0. The only way to change from a 0 to 1 is to erase all the bits.

Take your Leon and test it on a known good board (again ... remember to disconnect the connectors).

Quoted from caseydanger:

As it's had the reset section replaced with a MCP120, I believe that's why it no longer needs the 12v. Is there anything else on the board that requires 12v?

+12V is used in the reset section and by the TDA2002. In the case of your board the MCP120 only uses +5V and the TDA2002 is not present. My bench setup for System 11 only provides +5V to my boards for the same reason - they use the MCP120 supervisor.

#55 3 years ago

Good to know.

Man, I really thought at this point I'd have this thing licked but it appears to be a real bear of a problem. I know I still have a few avenues to go down, but it feels like I'm reaching the limits of my ability and tools.

I've poked around on eBay for replacement boards without much luck and there's also the Rottendog board of course but that feels like a super last resort. I'd really like to make the board I have work, but at least I know there's a mostly surefire way to get the game working.

#56 3 years ago

Pass on Rottendog board everyday. You could send the original board out for repair to Chris Hibler if you give up.

DumbAss has some bad ass System 11 boards he has in current design.

If you seen some improvement pressing on ROMs, I would replace the IC sockets. Replace any corroded parts and take care of any other board corrosion before I would continue along with verifying you have good 6802 parts.

#57 3 years ago

I've seen Chris's name passed around on here. I hesitate to send this board out to a repair guru considering all the prior work that would be a headache for whomever worked on it, but I'll keep that in mind if I give up.

Dumbass has some bad ass System 11 boards he has in current design.

Is that the red board in the picture he submitted recently? I was wondering what that was.

If you seen some improvement pressing on ROMs, I would replace the IC sockets. Replace any corroded parts and take care of any other board corrosion before I would continue along with verifying you have good 6802 parts.

I have some extra single row sockets I can use to start replacing these as well as some 40 pin sockets for the CPU so I'll start addressing those.

Regarding the corrosion, am I looking for components that have dull solder or pins? The D2 diode and a caps near the 1J7 header are the two things I've noticed that look corroded, i.e. a greenish paste on them. I've seen pictures of very advanced corrosion and seen it first hand on the original board that came with my Trident, but I don't see anything that bad on this board like lifting traces and what not. The crazy thing is, the battery holder, which I've since removed, is very clean. But it's possible someone cleaned it up when they addressed other things.

#58 3 years ago

Huh, actually now that I'm looking at my board and the schematic, D1 looks kinda jacked up too. If I'm reading the schematic correctly, the 5v logic power flows through that diode to U25. I wonder if that could be the cause of my intermittent issues. I'll try cleaning up that area and soldering in a new diode along with all the other stuff I need to do.

#59 3 years ago

And just to derail the conversation for a sec and inject some positivity in this thread, I received my CPR backglass today! They had a BK2k on clearance due to some smudging in the black, but it's very subtle and doesn't bother me. I'm very happy with it.

IMG_7774 (resized).pngIMG_7774 (resized).png
#60 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

Huh, actually now that I'm looking at my board and the schematic, D1 looks kinda jacked up too. If I'm reading the schematic correctly, the 5v logic power flows through that diode to U25. I wonder if that could be the cause of my intermittent issues. I'll try cleaning up that area and soldering in a new diode along with all the other stuff I need to do.

Make sure you use the low voltage drop diode as specified on the schematic 1n5817 IIRC - 1n400x series is borderline.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Make sure you use the low voltage drop diode as specified on the schematic 1n5817 IIRC - 1n400x series is borderline.

For D1, the manual specifies "Diode, 1N5817, 1.0A". I know I have some 1N4007's, which are 1A 1000v. I may have others. You say the 1N400X series is borderline, I presume 1000v may be too much?

#62 3 years ago

Ah, forgive me. I see now that 1n5817 is a Schottky diode. I don't have any of those. The lowest I have is a 1N4004 which is a 400v 1A diode.

#63 3 years ago

It's more for the lower forward voltage drop than anything else.

In my case it caused the NVram I'd installed to do very strange things and I jumpered around it (No battery so no worry there of trying to power the entire board with 3xaa's)

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

Is that the red board in the picture he submitted recently? I was wondering what that was.

Yes.

<shameless_plug>
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/2#post-5511871
</shameless_plug>

Quoted from caseydanger:

Ah, forgive me. I see now that 1n5817 is a Schottky diode. I don't have any of those. The lowest I have is a 1N4004 which is a 400v 1A diode.

Yes. Use a Schottky (barrier) diode. Do not use a standard rectifier diode.

#65 3 years ago

Holy cow! That is a MOUNTAIN of impressive work, DumbAss ! If I can’t get this board working I would be very interested in one of your blank boards to populate.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Yes. Use a Schottky (barrier) diode. Do not use a standard rectifier diode.

Duly noted. I read up on this after I made a bad assumption and understand the difference now. I added them to my next order and got it just under the cut off time for delivery tomorrow. I’m very glad slochar chimed in before I made a mistake.

#66 3 years ago

Update!

I replaced the electrolytic caps at C24, C26, and C29, the 1k pf caps at C22, C23, C25, C27, and C28, and the Schottky diode at D1. I didn’t get much luck with my CPU power supply but if I plug the board into my machine, Leon ROM installed and without the RAM installed, I CONSISTENTLY get a blinking diagnostics light. Every time. With the new RAM or old RAM installed I get no blinking at the diagnostics light.

This seems to narrow down my problem to either the RAM socket or related circuitry. I will replace the socket as well as the 1N4148 at D2, in case it’s dragging voltage to the RAM down somehow, later tonight and report back.

#67 3 years ago

More progress. I went to start desoldering the RAM socket and noticed a flake of solder bridging a couple pins. I think this may have been from my solder sucker earlier when doing the work on the caps. Usually I brush off the back but I was moving a little too fast.

Anyhow, after removing the flake I decided to try installing the RAM and adding power with the machine instead of my power supply. The diagnostic LED lit! But it didn’t blink with the Leon ROM installed. I can’t get it to happen consistently like I can with the RAM uninstalled so I still think maybe the socket needs to be swapped out even though it looks brand new.

Right after this, for fun I installed the game ROM and got a lit diagnostic LED! No blanking LED though. I’ve only gotten that to happen once.

Another observation. I’ve never tried it before, but the system 11 guide mentions checking the PIAs to see if they’re hot. I’ve done that and never felt any to even be warm. However while probing around and checking the voltages with the board connected to the machine I rested my fingers on the 6802 at U15 and it was very warm. Not enough to burn but enough to make me question it. Should the 6802s get warm or is this more evidence that they are also a problem and need to be tested?

#68 3 years ago

If it is the original 6802 that was in U15, that would be that fake I talked about. May work for a while and crap out. Try the U24 in U15, if that was not was being tested that was getting hot.

U15 normally is about as warm as some of the PIA parts.

Great progress so far.

#69 3 years ago

If it is the original 6802 that was in U15, that would be that fake I talked about. May work for a while and crap out. Try the U24 in U15, if that was not was being tested that was getting hot.
U15 normally is about as warm as some of the PIA parts.

I tried both 6802s from the board in U15 and I also tried the 6802 I got from Marco the other day and they all feel about the same. All of them get warm, borderline hot even, but I don’t feel like I need to take my finger off. I have a temperature probe for my DMM I need to dig out and I’ll try to get an accurate reading.

I also finally built a little 9 pin connector for my computer power supply I’ve been trying to use and boy howdy did that make a difference! I get a solid 5v at all the chips and TP2. The Leon ROM runs perfectly, all the PIAs check out, and the diagnostic LED blinks as it should in time with the pins. All this of course with the RAM uninstalled.

Great progress so far.

Yeah! It feels good. I think I’m zoning in on the problem but I’m not sure what the right solution is. I will swap the socket but given how new it is I just don’t feel confident it’ll change unless there’s something going on underneath.

On the bench I can’t get the diagnostic LED to light like it did in the machine with the RAM installed even with my new connector and a rock solid 5v. I’ll search the forum to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue.

I did check for continuity between pins and their neighbors at the chip and on the solder side and didn’t detect anything odd. I’ve tried three different RAM chips at this point with no change. I also verified continuity on the jumper in case that was being weird. By the time I did all that it was a little too late to start trying to desolder that socket so I moved on to finishing up the playfield reassembly. I did pop in the 1N4148 with no change.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

All of them get warm, borderline hot even, but I don’t feel like I need to take my finger off. I have a temperature probe for my DMM I need to dig out and I’ll try to get an accurate reading.

The only time I measured it I got around 34.5C.

https://i1.pinside.com/e/0a/e0a7752619b4d5d66d8c35012ed28d8e9a413c91/resized/740/e0a7752619b4d5d66d8c35012ed28d8e9a413c91.jpg

Quoted from caseydanger:

I also finally built a little 9 pin connector for my computer power supply I’ve been trying to use and boy howdy did that make a difference! I get a solid 5v at all the chips and TP2. The Leon ROM runs perfectly, all the PIAs check out, and the diagnostic LED blinks as it should in time with the pins. All this of course with the RAM uninstalled.

Quoted from caseydanger:

On the bench I can’t get the diagnostic LED to light like it did in the machine with the RAM installed even with my new connector and a rock solid 5v. I’ll search the forum to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue.

It doesn't seem relevant but there is a difference between the switching power supply and the machine. The machine supplies +12V whereas the switching power supply does not. It should not make a difference but if the MCP120 modification has some error in the installation it could be the cause. I have *ZERO* evidence for any reason to believe this. Just pointing out a potential difference.

#71 3 years ago

I just had a thought. I’ve never done any of this testing with batteries installed. I believed the board would boot and run fine without them, but throw an “Adjustment Failure” if it were connected to the screen. Would my RAM issue be caused by not having batteries installed?

#72 3 years ago

Scratch that last post. Didn’t make a difference if batteries were connected.

This morning I swapped in a new socket for the RAM and CPU. I replaced the ‘B’ capacitor and the 4.7k resistor at R52 next to the RAM. Doing all this changed the voltage I get at pin 28 from 4.7v to 4.8v but still made no change to the diagnostic LED not lighting with the RAM installed. I’ve once again tried all three RAM chips I have. Leon still runs perfect with no RAM.

Quoted from DumbAss:

The only time I measured it I got around 34.5C.

I also measured the temperature of the CPU with the probe on my DMM. Measuring over the course of a minute from the center of the 6802 at U15 I read 41C and still climbing, but very slowly. Seems wrong.

I might just go ahead and replace all the ROM sockets to be sure but I’m not confident that’ll change much.

Looking around on eBay I came across a seller in Arizona selling some Hitachi 6802s. The listing claims in the description:

“All of my parts are surplus Military and Aerospace unused devices that were
purchased at employee auctions here in the USA. They were purchased between
1982 and 1998 and have been in controlled storage since then. They all meet the
full manufactures specifications. I am a recently retired Aerospace Electrical
Engineer.”

Which sounds reasonable. I bought a couple and they should come next week. I believe I read with the Hitachi chips I need to remove the jumper at W16 and W17. I’ll double check before installing.

#73 3 years ago

One more data point in case it’s relevant. In doing a continuity check on adjacent pins on the CPU at U15, I noticed I get about 560 ohms of resistance between pins 39 and 38.

According to the schematic, pin 39 is the EXTAL line that connects the two 6802s to the clock at CR1. Pin 38 just connects to ground. Could this be a potential short that’s causing issues or is it expected?

8E45897D-6780-403A-B375-EFB501C96248 (resized).jpeg8E45897D-6780-403A-B375-EFB501C96248 (resized).jpeg

EDIT: I should do my homework before posting. Looking at the data sheet for the 6802 the EXTAL and XTAL lines are used when using an external oscillator so I suppose I should expect to see a connection there. Ignore my grasping at straws

#74 3 years ago

Personally, at this point, if it boots up in the game and blanking LED is lit and the display works, I would not worry about why the RAM is not working with the Leon's test chip.

#75 3 years ago

Since you have the RAM in an IC socket, I would move to NVRAM. It remembers, even if you forget. https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#76 3 years ago

These have a high failure rate.

Quoted from caseydanger:

I believe I read with the Hitachi chips I need to remove the jumper at W16 and W17. I’ll double check before installing.

DumbAss mentioned that earlier in the thread.

#77 3 years ago

Personally, at this point, if it boots up in the game and blanking LED is lit and the display works, I would not worry about why the RAM is not working with the Leon's test chip.

I’ve never gotten the blanking LED to light but I’ll try slapping it all together and seeing what happens.

Since you have the RAM in an IC socket, I would move to NVRAM. It remembers, even if you forget. https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Ordered!

These have a high failure rate.

dumbass mentioned that earlier in the thread.

You’re right he did! Oi. Sometimes my brain doesn’t work.

Bummer about the Hitachi chips. Do you know a good source for 6802s if mine check out bad?

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

Bummer about the Hitachi chips. Do you know a good source for 6802s if mine check out bad?

Will just see what the outcome is with your current 6802 CPU chips first. Not many good sources for NOS 6802 parts anymore.

#79 3 years ago

No dice. I popped RAM in with the game ROM, plugged it all together and I just get a 5v LED. No diagnostic or blanking LED. Nothing on the display. I can’t test sound because I’m missing the ribbon cable that runs from the audio board to the CPU board.

#80 3 years ago

Was worth a shot because of what you mentioned here.

Quoted from caseydanger:

Anyhow, after removing the flake I decided to try installing the RAM and adding power with the machine instead of my power supply. The diagnostic LED lit! But it didn’t blink with the Leon ROM installed. I can’t get it to happen consistently like I can with the RAM uninstalled so I still think maybe the socket needs to be swapped out even though it looks brand new.

Right after this, for fun I installed the game ROM and got a lit diagnostic LED! No blanking LED though. I’ve only gotten that to happen once.

So, I wonder what happened between then and now.

#81 3 years ago

Was worth a shot because of what you mentioned here.

So, I wonder what happened between then and now.

Same here. At the time it happened I turned it off and back on to try to reproduce it and I couldn’t and haven’t since. So either it was a fluke or there’s something loose on the board. I’m going to try redoing all the sockets for the ROMs to see what happens.

#82 3 years ago

Of U15, RAM and game ROM IC sockets, which have not yet been replaced? What was the last IC you pressed/installed into the board?

#83 3 years ago

Of U15, RAM and game ROM IC sockets, which have not yet been replaced? What was the last IC you pressed/installed into the board?

I have not done any of the ROM sockets, i.e. U27, U26, U21, or U22, or the CPU at U24. I realize the last three are audio related and won’t affect what I’m seeing.

The last IC I pushed in was the game ROM at U27.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

U21, or U22, or the CPU at U24

Game will boot without these installed.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

The last IC I pushed in was the game ROM at U27.

Time to replace U26 and U27 sockets. I think I would try the U27 socket first.

#86 3 years ago

Progress and setbacks.

I swapped out the U27 socket with no change. Ugh.

After doing some head scratching I went back to the Leon guide and worked through it with the RAM installed, treating it as if I couldn't get it to work (even though I actually CAN get it to work without the RAM). I came back to this step, Chip Selection, which I hit early on in this thread:

"We continue to work without program chip. Because the cpu goes through all addresses, it will also come across every selection address of every PIA and program chip. The selection pulses come in at these pins: for PIA's check pins 23, 24, 25, 35 and 36 which should give alternating signals (around 3 volt, with a testlight both leds are on, one a bit more then the other but always both on). For the test-ic in U27 check pins 20 and 27 (2 to 3 volt). If there are pins which don't get pulses but always +5 or ground then the selection has a problem. Check the schematics to find the ic where this signal comes from."

Before this step you remove the test ROM at U27. Doing this check I saw pin 23 low on all PIAs. Tracing that pin on the diagram led me back to the 74LS138 at U37. Now I know DumbAss said he rarely, if ever, sees these fail, but I figured what the hell, I've tried everything else! So I clipped off U37, installed a socket, and popped in one of the new chips. Turning on the board with just the CPU installed I checked pins above again and lo-and-behold pin 23 was moving! Hot damn I thought, and turned it off. I put the Leon ROM in and turned the board back on and... no diagnostic light. No movement on the PIA pins 2-17 as before.

If I learned anything from y'all, I know it's to suspect the last thing I did if something breaks! Here's what I think went wrong:

Before I clipped off U37 I inspected the three chips Marco sent me a few days ago. Two of them say 74F138N and the other says SN74S157N. I looked up these parts on Mouser and the 74S157 is a "Quadruple 2-line to 1-line Data Selector/Multiplexer". Wrong part. The 74F138N came back as a "3-line to 8-line Decoder/Multiplexer", same as the 74LS138, I thought. The schematic on the data sheet looked the same! Wrong again!

Oi, I can be dense sometimes and make too many assumptions. It's right there in the name! LS vs F are the logic families. The F is short for FAST (Fairchild Advanced Schottky TTL) which is faster than the LS in terms of the "Propagation Delay Time" 9ns on the F vs 41ns on the LS. This might explain the way faster pulsing I saw and seems like it could affect functionality of the rest of the board. I'll order the LS and hopefully that gets me at least back to a working Leon test, but hopefully to a board that boots correctly.

Fun note, I was looking at a TI 74F138N but what I actually have is a Fairchild Semiconductor 74F138N which the data sheet says is a "1-of-8 Decoder/Demultiplexer", but I think that's just a different way of saying "3-line to 8-line Decoder/Multiplexer". The schematics between the Fairchild 74F138N and an 74LS138 look the same as far as inputs and outputs go.

Anyhow, work continues. I will post an update early next week when I have the correct chip in hand.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

The selection pulses come in at these pins: for PIA's check pins 23, 24, 25, 35 and 36 which should give alternating signals (around 3 volt, with a testlight both leds are on, one a bit more then the other but always both on). For the test-ic in U27 check pins 20 and 27 (2 to 3 volt). If there are pins which don't get pulses but always +5 or ground then the selection has a problem. Check the schematics to find the ic where this signal comes from."

PIA-22 is CS0 (chip select 0). It is tied to +5V (always high). The Leon documentation ignores this for that very reason.
PIA-23 is ~CS2 (chip select 2). This signal comes from the address decode of U37 (74LS138). More on this below.
PIA-24 is CS1 (chip select 1). It is A13. This means that all the PIAs lie in the address space starting at $2000.
PIA-25 is E (enable). This is the clock signal from the CPU.
PIA-35 is RS0 (register select 0). It is A0. This allow the software to read/write to an address to perform register select.
PIA-36 is RS1 (register select 1). It is A1. Same as A0.

U27-20 is ~CE (chip enable).
U27-27 is A14 (you should have W4 installed). This is the upper half of the EPROM address space.

Quoted from caseydanger:

Now I know dumbass said he rarely, if ever, sees these fail, but I figured what the hell, I've tried everything else! So I clipped off U37, installed a socket, and popped in one of the new chips. Turning on the board with just the CPU installed I checked pins above again and lo-and-behold pin 23 was moving! Hot damn I thought, and turned it off. I put the Leon ROM in and turned the board back on and... no diagnostic light. No movement on the PIA pins 2-17 as before.

Rarely fails doesn't mean does not fail . Until you get the Leon software working properly you have a fundamental problem. Remember what I wrote about the minimum requirements for the Leon. It includes address decode.

U37 is the main IC involved in PIA select and RAM select. There are other ancillary ICs involved in IC select. U12 (one unit) is involved in ROM select. The three address bits A10-A12 represent 8k of address space ($0000-$1FFF). As the PIAs are only enabled when A13 is high this represents $2000-$3FFF of the address space. Those numbers before the "PIA" in the signal are the decoded addresses. You can map the other ICs to their addresses in the address space by looking at the input address bits.

01_address_decode.jpg01_address_decode.jpg

Quoted from caseydanger:

I looked up these parts on Mouser and the 74S157 is a "Quadruple 2-line to 1-line Data Selector/Multiplexer". Wrong part. The 74F138N came back as a "3-line to 8-line Decoder/Multiplexer", same as the 74LS138, I thought.

The 74LS157 is definitely the wrong logic. It's a selector IC. You give it two inputs and it selects one output from the two inputs. There are four identical units in the IC.

The 74LS138 is a 3:8 decoder. It takes as input a 3-bit binary number (0-7) and selects the appropriate one of eight output lines. There is a single unit in the IC.

Quoted from caseydanger:

It's right there in the name! LS vs F are the logic families. The F is short for FAST (Fairchild Advanced Schottky TTL) which is faster than the LS in terms of the "Propagation Delay Time" 9ns on the F vs 41ns on the LS. This might explain the way faster pulsing I saw and seems like it could affect functionality of the rest of the board. I'll order the LS and hopefully that gets me at least back to a working Leon test, but hopefully to a board that boots correctly.

Some families can be interchanged. I'm not electronics trained so I cannot comment on what can be interchanged and what cannot be interchanged.

Quoted from caseydanger:

Fun note, I was looking at a TI 74F138N but what I actually have is a Fairchild Semiconductor 74F138N which the data sheet says is a "1-of-8 Decoder/Demultiplexer", but I think that's just a different way of saying "3-line to 8-line Decoder/Multiplexer". The schematics between the Fairchild 74F138N and an 74LS138 look the same as far as inputs and outputs go.

I hope the above explanation of the 74LS138 will help you to understand why "1-of-8 Decoder/Demultiplexer" is the same as "3-line to 8-line Decoder/Multiplexer".

If any of this information is too much or you don't want it then tell me to shut up. I get the impression you want to know how things work and why things work the way they do. I know it's a lot of information for most of the audience of this forum. For those they can always drain the thread.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If any of this information is too much or you don't want it then tell me to shut up. I get the impression you want to know how things work and why things work the way they do.

Correct impression! It may take me four or five read throughs to understand, but I think I can wrap my mind around it. I really appreciate your detailed replies and @pinballmaniac40's help as well. You both have gotten me very far in this process. I hope I haven't worn out y'alls welcome.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I hope the above explanation of the 74LS138 will help you to understand why "1-of-8 Decoder/Demultiplexer" is the same as "3-line to 8-line Decoder/Multiplexer".

Yes I do. I kinda worked my way through it after posting last night. Just a different way of saying the same thing.

I spent some time reading about Propagation Delay Time on wikipedia last night: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_delay

In the entry, it mentions: "The difference in propagation delays of logic elements is the major contributor to glitches in asynchronous circuits as a result of race conditions." Is it possible the new issue I'm seeing is because the circuit is designed for and expecting the U37 to execute at a certain speed and I just put a faster chip in? It seems plausible, as all the other chips involved in IC select are of the LS family. It's also plausible that I screwed something up like bridging or cutting a trace

Quoted from DumbAss:

U37 is the main IC involved in PIA select and RAM select.

Is it safe to say, or rather is it plausible, that had I replaced the U37 correctly that I might have fixed my issue with the Leon test not running with the RAM installed? I suppose going by that logic, I could also suspect U33, U34, and U31. To cover my bases I had ordered the chips that could replace all these so I have them on hand if needed. I'm going to start with getting ahold of a LS138 and installing that to see if my theory on the prop. delay time is correct. If that doesn't change things I'll go back over my address and data bus to see if I broke something.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from caseydanger:

Is it safe to say, or rather is it plausible, that had I replaced the U37 correctly that I might have fixed my issue with the Leon test not running with the RAM installed? I suppose going by that logic, I could also suspect U33, U34, and U31. To cover my bases I had ordered the chips that could replace all these so I have them on hand if needed. I'm going to start with getting a hold of a LS138 and installing that to see if my theory on the prop. delay time is correct. If that doesn't change things I'll go back over my address and data bus to see if I broke something.

I would definitely start with getting a 74LS138 and using that instead of another logic family (maybe could try 74HCT138 but I would not try any of the others).

All the 6 ICs below battery holder are involved in address decode and if there is alkaline leakage it can affect these ICs and stop the basic functioning of the board. If there is any evidence of alkaline corrosion when you remove/replace the IC you should deal with abating the alkaline damage at that time rather than putting in a socket and dealing with it after you get things working. The less heat applied to the board the better in the long run.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I would definitely start with getting a 74LS138 and using that instead of another logic family (maybe could try 74HCT138 but I would not try any of the others).
All the 6 ICs below battery holder are involved in address decode and if there is alkaline leakage it can affect these ICs and stop the basic functioning of the board. If there is any evidence of alkaline corrosion when you remove/replace the IC you should deal with abating the alkaline damage at that time rather than putting in a socket and dealing with it after you get things working. The less heat applied to the board the better in the long run.

When I removed U37 all the solder pads seemed bright and shiny. No evidence of corrosion, at least to my eye. If I have to move on to the others I will be sure to pay close attention for signs of damage.

#91 3 years ago

Always, always, ALWAYS check prior work!

I received the LS138 today and swapped it in with no change (Leon test still not working). Ugh. So I pulled the test rom out and started over again with just the CPU installed and saw all the address lines moving as they have been. After more head scratching I got out the magnifying glass and flash light and looked over the back of U37. No bridges, no busted traces.

Now I can't tell you why I didn't think to check this prior to today, but I moved over to the socket I replaced at U27 prior to U37 and lo and behold I had left two pins unsoldered! I blame my habit of working in my sweltering garage at midnight for the oversight. Anyhow, soldered the two pins, popped the Leon ROM back in and got the board back to where it was. It's still not running with RAM, but at least I got it back to its prior state. I also learned that you can in fact use an F138 in place of an LS138, at least at U37.

Now that I've patched up the CS2 signal (if that was really ever a problem) I believe my next steps include:

– Verifying my 6802s, which I should be able to do this week as my friend with Space Shuttle is back in town.
– Working down the chain of ICs tied to the R/W pin of the RAM: U31, U33, and U34.

EDIT: After posting this, I ran out to the garage and checked pin 27 of the RAM socket both with and without RAM installed. Installed, pin 27 is stuck high, uninstalled it pulses in time with the diagnostic light. I would expect the R/W pin to pulse as data went in and out of RAM so perhaps one of the IC select chips involved is malfunctioning?

#92 3 years ago

Another data point. With the RAM installed and checking pin 20, the CE pin I believe, the probe has the high light on and shows a pulse which I believe is "Logic 1 with negative single pulses". I had thought maybe the CE wasn't firing and thus the RAM wasn't doing anything. It's also still possible, though improbable, that all three of the RAM chips I have are dead. I plan on starting my search at U31 and working backward to see if something is amiss with the R/W line in the IC select chips.

#93 3 years ago

Apologies for doing this in spurts. Life is distracting!

We have a boot with the game rom! I hadn't yet tried the other RAM chips so I installed the one that came with the game, Sharp brand, and I got diagnosis led pulsing with the Leon ROM!!! Turned it off, installed the game ROM and... 11 diagnosis LED flashes and then the 50% flashing it's supposed to do, so it looks like my new problem is U26, according to the table here: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#cpuled.

I swear I ran a verify on it with my new EPROM programmer! I suppose it could also be the socket there, it's the original one.

Anyhow, HOLY COW! I guess it really was that LS138. I'll verify some more things this evening and see if I can move past the last error and then I think we can consider this thread SOLVED. I've got a mountain of other things to solve next, but it feels really good to at least having a booting CPU.

Special thanks to DumbAss and PinballManiac40 for their tremendous insight and help as well as slochar for making sure I used the right diode and Tuukka for pointing out my sound roms being swapped. I'll give a final update as soon as I can get the whole board doing what it's supposed to.

#94 3 years ago

Now that it is booting, test all the 6802 in the U15 location.

#95 3 years ago

Now that it is booting, test all the 6802 in the U15 location.

Right now I have the original 6802 that came with the game (one was missing and a 6821 was in its place) and the one I got from Marco in the game. I just swapped them and still got it to boot. I haven’t tried the one I got from pinball life yet. I also haven’t tried the Hitachi 6802s either.

Anyhow, I swapped the socket at U26 with no change. Turns out the ROM I had was burned on a 27256 and U26 takes a 27128! So I doubled up the bin for U26 on a new eprom (I don’t have a UV eraser yet) and popped that in. SUCCESS! No initial status blinks just straight into the normal 50% cycle blinking on the diagnosis LED. The blanking led was off but it turns out that led was busted because I saw it low on the cathode side. I swapped in a new LED and confirmed. Everything is working!!! Picture attached!

35F2F299-4A4F-44F0-B938-E980A0F6469D (resized).jpeg35F2F299-4A4F-44F0-B938-E980A0F6469D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-2000-won-t-boot/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.